Bring your certificates

Guest alieninoz

Guest alieninoz

Things are hard enough trying to get a job but this morning we thought we were going to get a break.

The wife had a call from an employment agent saying they had role they would like to put her forward for, great you would think however here comes the sting...:mad:

My wife has a fair few certificates for this and that and can earn a lot more than I can out here, however before the agent would put her forward for any jobs she has to prove she can do what she said she can do by showing the certificates. Well we don’t have them with us due the a last minute change before we left the UK, they ended up with all our stuff in storage (still in the UK).:arghh:

So as it stands it is pointless my wife going for any jobs in her field and it seems the rate for what I do is so low that it would not support us (it did in the UK and we could have bought a house on it too).

I must say neither of us have never been asked to show certificates at a job interview in the UK. So for us I think that maybe it, I can’t see my wife getting the well paid job she can do due to the certificates issue. I think we maybe going back in a few weeks time if things don’t get better.

A tip for anyone coming over, make sure you have certificates and the like to support anything you have on your CV.

Hi Alienonoz,

I have been sorting thro' my certificates etc today. Got about 6 million copies of ever bloody one of them.........nightmare!

Has your mrs considered contacting the bodies who issued her certificates; or one of the educational bodies that holds such things?? It might cost a few bob, but can she afford to wait? If she cant remember the relevent ppl, perhaps someone she knows can guide her in the right direction...................my mate has recently needed a certificate; she contacted the board, had it sent to her sister, then on to her in Perth, took about 16 days, cost £25 but saved her a whole heap of aggro........

Hope it halps

Jane

:)

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi,

Let this post be a reminder to you guys on your way over, get a folder together and put all important paperwork in it and bring it in your HAND LUGGAGE,

Passports

Birth Certificates

Marriage Certificates

Previous Divorce Papers

Adoption Papers

Childrens Medical Book

CV

Employment Certificates

References

No claims bonus (you will only have to show in the case off a claim).

Insurance Certificates.

Some of these may seem over the top but it is no good if they are in your container/storage for several months and by putting them in hand luggage you eliminate the risk should one of your cases goes missing.

Guzzler

Guest katsmajic

Our work certificates were in our priority pile...

could someone, friend/family access your stored goods to retrieve your wifes certs for you?

having said that though, my oh hasnt been asked to show his certs once.

take note of guzzlers list anyone else coming over - if your wanting a job in your specific field - why are the Aussies going to take your word that you can do it?????

bring references - you should have got 3copies done at tra stage etc...i know this was specified on the to do lists we read, and your work qualifications.

getting a job over here isnt the easiest thing to do - to those of you who think the visa bits tough...the fun starts when you step on the airport tarmac.

The Australians love certificates, someone with a certificate will get a job over you everytime!

Alieninoz - dont throw the towel in just yet - it will get easier.

alieninoz I've got my fingers crossed for you and wish you every bit of luck, I hope it does end up well for you after all this time and money for you to get here - it sounds like you're having a bad time at present. Hang on in there.

I do understand how difficult it is on getting a job for some of us. I've been here for two and a bit years now and wasn't allowed to work for two years (visa restrictions).

I arrived back in August on a different visa and a couple of weeks ago started looking. I've had two interviews for one job but looks like I'm not going to get as although I passed the interviews they want 3 employer references. I worked for a company for 15 years and their policy is that they only give a start date end date and the position held with company. Prespective employer cannot accept this as a reference, and state that would be just one anyway! How can I get more if I worked for the same company for 15 years and that is their policy?! Unfortunately I cannot even get a personal one from previous managers as they like me took voluntary redundancy and are probably off tanning themselves somewhere who knows. Although I have again been advised that the prespective employer do not accept personal/character references in the quota required. So looks like that's the end of that. I am trying though called the HR department of my last company worked for last night and was shocked that it was in India now so still no luck. I will keep trying though until the last minute. Can really feel for you though as I'm slightly devastated myself as would really love to work for the company I've applied for. :unsure:

I'm determined to do my best as much as it is stressful we could end up lucky like some people find it from the start.

Good luck in your search

Hi Alienonoz,

I have been sorting thro' my certificates etc today. Got about 6 million copies of ever bloody one of them.........nightmare!

Has your mrs considered contacting the bodies who issued her certificates; or one of the educational bodies that holds such things?? It might cost a few bob, but can she afford to wait? If she cant remember the relevent ppl, perhaps someone she knows can guide her in the right direction...................my mate has recently needed a certificate; she contacted the board, had it sent to her sister, then on to her in Perth, took about 16 days, cost £25 but saved her a whole heap of aggro........

Hope it halps

Jane

:)

Hi Alienonoz, Welcome to the "real" Australia! All documentation must also be original documents or certified copies, just photocopies are usually completely unacceptable.

Kind Regards.

Hi guys

I just want to offer my experience to you.

You may remember my post, Ive had enough im going home.

My other half and I have really struggled here first to make friends and secondly to earn a decent living.

I have turned my head upside down thinking I want to go back.

How ever now ive finally met some really good friends and have been offered an okay job, I really want to stay.

Its taken us a year, the lifestyle for families here is 100 % better than the UK

Don't and I repeat try not to chuck it all in just yet as Adelaide grows on you, you need to give it a chance for it to give you a chance.

Laura xxx

Hi guys

I just want to offer my experience to you.

You may remember my post, Ive had enough im going home.

My other half and I have really struggled here first to make friends and secondly to earn a decent living.

I have turned my head upside down thinking I want to go back.

How ever now ive finally met some really good friends and have been offered an okay job, I really want to stay.

Its taken us a year, the lifestyle for families here is 100 % better than the UK

Don't and I repeat try not to chuck it all in just yet as Adelaide grows on you, you need to give it a chance for it to give you a chance.

Laura xxx

Laura, so glad to hear that things are looking up for you and that you're staying. A friend of ours who is a hairdresser went back a few months ago. He's deleriously happy back in London but his wife is so unhappy about being back in the UK that it's putting them under terrible pressure.:sad:

Guest alieninoz

the lifestyle for families here is 100 % better than the UK

Hi Laura,

My wife has asked me to you and anyone to explain what lifestyle inprovments are to make anyone say it's a 100% better!:confused:

As we are struggling to understand at this point how it is better!

For us the few things have been the weather, the kids love going to the beach and we have been to a couple of wildlife parks, but that’s been about it so far. I know this may sound a bit negative but things have not turned out as we thought.:daydreaming:

Guest katsmajic

How have our lives/our childrens lives improved?

My 10 yr old Maggie can walk to school on her own safely - ok its only 2 mins away, and we used to walk to school in the uk too but she could never go on her own and more often than not the weather was against us for her to be able to walk.

She goes for beach walks weekly with her class, shes learned so much about wildlife and conservation and shes so enthusiastic about it. Her class also takes the reception class for a beach walk which she loves as she feels so responsible.

Maggies also having surf/water safety lessons for a PE lesson on the beach. She has 5 PE lessons a week!!!

Health, wellbeing and fitness is so paramount here, her school is great - they picked up on her 'learning difficulties' and did something about it in 2 weeks i had to fight for her to get any extra help in the uk and that help was usually a parent listening to her read - totally unsatisfactory.

She gets to play out and walk on the beach everyday - she played out in the UK but it was usually her & her friend in her room or in her friends room as the weather was too bad - even in bad weather here she can play out in the entertainment area.

The roads here are so much safer for her - ok theres alot of looney drivers around but in our area theyre all pretty good and the hoons are only ever out at silly o'clock when kids are in bed. Shes even riding her bike on the roads here (quiet roads not the main ones) UK she had to ride on the pavements, it was so unsafe cos the roads were so narrow cars would almost touch me as i rode next to her - with her on the path! (and we lived in a village so not massively busy)

Her confidence has grown immeasurably, its amazing to see her so outgoing and confident...i adore the way she is blooming here.

My 5yr old Seb is loving life here - being able to go to the beach almost everyday does it for him - going fishing/learning to bodyboard etc instead of sat in the house with me doing puzzles cos we couldnt go out anywhere in uk unless we were well wrapped up. And yes im taking him fishing - never liked it in the uk but i love it here.

OH has a good job - ok he doesnt like it but for now its a good payer and hel bide his time til he can move on - he loves being able to say 'im going to go fishing on way home/meet you on the beach/the play fort/lets have a bbq for tea'.

Our teens - theyre a law unto themselves - but they assure us they love the lifestyle here and have no intentions of returning to uk - theyve found school/tafe so much better, they get treated like young adults not kids.

For me - i smashed my leg up pretty badly last year, my consultant said our impending move to OZ was the best thing i could do for my leg as arthitus is going to cripple me...so i get a massive positive :err: im not great but ive recovered so well from the injury - far better than the surgeon could have imagined.

I also get fab quality family time with the kids - instead of getting out for walks/activities occaisionally because of weather and cost - we can do it pretty much daily. Ive had to go to TAFE as to do what i want i need an extra (their equivilent) qualification - no big issue - if thats what it takes to get the job i want then i'll do it...i dont expect TAFE to just give me a job without having any understanding of their laws/legislations etc.

Things will seem tough to start with and as your name says you'll feel like an alien at times - but hang on in there - i think watching your kids running round with huge grins on their faces daily is worth it all. We had expectations, of a happier/healthier/outdoors lifestyle - we are richer in all that just not financially - but you dont come here to get rich in money.

This is a great post. We are just starting out on this process but have originals and copies (just in case) of everything I have needed so far. Have also kept job descriptions/academic transcripts and references as it seems we need everything to come over

I didn't realise we may need copies of policies (ie. no claims) so thanks for the tips. :)

Lisa

Hi Laura,

My wife has asked me to you and anyone to explain what lifestyle inprovments are to make anyone say it's a 100% better!:confused:

As we are struggling to understand at this point how it is better!

For us the few things have been the weather, the kids love going to the beach and we have been to a couple of wildlife parks, but that’s been about it so far. I know this may sound a bit negative but things have not turned out as we thought.:daydreaming:

Hi chick, you sound like me lol. You really need to give it time, we are just starting to relax and enjoy life here after 3.5 months. At first i loved it then i hated it, now im middle of the road. Things are different and jobs arent that easy to get, my hubby must have applied for 30 before he got his (which hes just informed me hes not happy in :swoon:). Im terribly homesick but the past few weeks we've spent time with some really good mates we've made and things are feeling better for us. Hubby has a kyak, im going snorkling tomorrow with a friend and then a few of us are having a picnic on the beach for lunch. sunday i had 15 people at my house in the pool!! I feel like we are starting to enjoy life but 4 weeks ago i was ready for getting the plane home. Dont get me wrong theres tons of stuff not to like, and i could name alot, if we will stay in adelaide i dont know (it is much quieter than we are used to). But give it time and try and get out and mix with people. Networking often helps alot here with jobs, what does your wife do btw?

I am starting to see the positives now, even though things do peeve me off about the place :biglaugh:

Guest alieninoz
How have our lives/our childrens lives improved?

Hi Katsmajic,

Great post, sounds like things really worked out for you guys.:)

We have two children an almost 2 year old girl and my boy has just turned 4 and he keeps asking can we go home how, it just breaks my heart to think we have taken him away from the few friends he did have. :sad:

And just so you know, the Alien part of my user name is nick-name.;)

Just a foot note everyone who has posted support, a big thanks from us:notworthy: