Advice on messanger post being self employed job

Guest woolmerdj

Guest woolmerdj

Hi My husband has a perminant job at the moment but he wants to move on. He has been looking at a delivary job with Messanger Post, where he will be self employed but will be delivering for them. He may be on $250 less per week and will have to buy a small van and pay for petrol.However, they guarantee work for him for two years and a regular delivary round. He is not sure about wether or not they will pay his pension.

I was wondering if anyone has done such a thing and what tax/benifits/deficits/negatives there may be in being self employed and in giving up a perminant job, which he has no expenses for and gets a pension

ta

Jane

If he is self employed he will be seen as a sub contractor and the company will not have to pay super for him. There are some legalities when a self employed person who works for the same person all the time may be classed as an employee for super purposes. You should get some proper advice.

You do need that proper advice, but as I understand things if you work for the same person, even if you are self employed and have a ABN number you should still have your super paid, one exception to this is if you agree to supply labour other than yourself, during a holiday for example but there could be many more.

Have a look at the ATO site http://www.ato.gov.au/nonprofit/content.asp?doc=/Content/4540.htm

it may give you a better idea.

Simon:)

Hi Jane,

They might guarantee your hubby two years work but can they guarantee how much he will get paid ???? prob not, and if like most courier jobs you will get paid for what you deliver and you will have busy and quiet days aswell as good and bad rounds.Im sure they will say this is what you can earn but i think sometimes you are better off with knowing what money u will b guaranteed week in week out.

Good luck,Ken.

Hi Jane,

They might guarantee your hubby two years work but can they guarantee how much he will get paid ???? prob not, and if like most courier jobs you will get paid for what you deliver and you will have busy and quiet days aswell as good and bad rounds.Im sure they will say this is what you can earn but i think sometimes you are better off with knowing what money u will b guaranteed week in week out.

Good luck,Ken.

I would second that, as well as that (having been off work for 2 months now) unless things are quite bad at his current job, now may not be the time to take that risk as jobs seem to be fewer and further between at the moment.