Disillusioned & Fed Up

Guest gilmoresoz

Guest gilmoresoz

Hi

Feeling fed up and disillusioned. I am a Gents hairdresser from the UK, arrived early September 08, working at the Men's Room on Hindley Street. Since starting work I have been relying on passing trade, however this has not been proving reliable as I have been mostly getting backpackers and out of state people, who inevitably do not become regular clientelle.

I have done numerous promotional leaflet drops throughout the City, offering discounted rates ($20 a shampoo haircut) but still have not had much success at building a regular clientelle. Although the customers that have been in the salon have been more than satisfied.

The problem can not be the location or the price of the haircuts in the salon because the guy that I work with has a full appointment book everyday!

The couple of guys who have supported me on this site have put on recommendations (thanks guys you know who you are) and I also have an advert on.

We are living in the City at the moment and do not have transport, so going mobile is not an option for me at the moment.

Any advice or support would be greatly appreciated.

Darren (Men's Room 8221 6228) :sad:

Guest graandjac

Hi Darren , although iam no expert on hairdressing iam sure its a time thing with regards to building up business, i believe that what ever you do if you are good at it customers and business WILL come your way, believe in what you do. good luck

Hi

Feeling fed up and disillusioned. I am a Gents hairdresser from the UK, arrived early September 08, working at the Men's Room on Hindley Street. Since starting work I have been relying on passing trade, however this has not been proving reliable as I have been mostly getting backpackers and out of state people, who inevitably do not become regular clientelle.

I have done numerous promotional leaflet drops throughout the City, offering discounted rates ($20 a shampoo haircut) but still have not had much success at building a regular clientelle. Although the customers that have been in the salon have been more than satisfied.

The problem can not be the location or the price of the haircuts in the salon because the guy that I work with has a full appointment book everyday!

The couple of guys who have supported me on this site have put on recommendations (thanks guys you know who you are) and I also have an advert on.

We are living in the City at the moment and do not have transport, so going mobile is not an option for me at the moment.

Any advice or support would be greatly appreciated.

Darren (Men's Room 8221 6228) :sad:

Hi Darren,

Just want to say sorry that you're so down but please don't give up yet! You've been here such a short time, and like Gra says it can take time and patience to build up your clientele. It will happen for you I'm sure, just sit tight. I'd send my husband to you but he's barely got a hair on his head bless him, so he'd be no use to you at all!:biglaugh:

All the best

Hi,we arrived same time as you,and are also finding things difficult on the jobs front.We are determined to stick it out,as things will get better sooner or later,and i hope you feel the same,after all the sh....t we have gone through.Chin up,as they say,and all the very best for the future.

My husband is reluctant to pay more than $15 for his hair cut which is only a number 3 on the clippers anyway but if you are willing to charge this, then I'll send my hubby your way next time. We walk up and down Hindley Street every weekday for the train.

I'm tempted to go out and buy a pair of clippers and do it myself as other hairdressers were trying to charge him $25 - rip off! :confused:

Have you tried stuff such as contacting the local companies and offering them the same PIA discount? or doing it at normal $18 but donating $3 per haircut to a charity such as the Prostate Awareness one?

You've probably tried these already, but just in case....

Good luck and if I hear of anyone who works round there I'll suggest they come in and see you!

D

Guest rockpool crab
Have you tried stuff such as contacting the local companies and offering them the same PIA discount? or doing it at normal $18 but donating $3 per haircut to a charity such as the Prostate Awareness one?

You've probably tried these already, but just in case....

Good luck and if I hear of anyone who works round there I'll suggest they come in and see you!

D

I think that's a great idea...for example contacting IBM in Adelaide..they're a big company and saying you are a mobile hairdresser and could cut hair actually on the premises save people leaving their work to go and get a trim.

Here..that could catch on (unless of course it exists already, as usually my "hair" brained schemes are already out there!)

TTFn

Carol Ann

If you've still got some leaflets spare let me know and I'll put them up on the notice boards at University of South Australia campuses in the new term. A lot of students from overseas and country areas live in the city during term time and are always on the lookout for a decent deal and don't really know where to go unless someone tells them. Unfortunately term has finished now until the end of February, but if its any help for next year let me know.

Hope things pick up for you.

Guest guest569

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh as its not meant too and i'll try and say it as softly as i can but i wouldn't go to the city for a haircut. That is one of the first things i'd get done at my local barbers then go and get your clothes sorted and have a shave , THEN go to the city for a good time.

Surely if you want regular clientel ( ?? sp ?/) then you need to work in a suburb??

Sorry just my opinion.( off to the local barbers at 9am today ):wubclub: