oh my god?!!!!

Guest deanrm

Guest deanrm

Just read the thread in the Jobs/Careers forum about a plumber whos qualifications were useless when he got to Austrailia.

Does the same apply to Joiners/carpenters?

If so what the hell do you do?

thanks

Guest graandjac

Iam going as a roof tiler and slater and it seems that even here now plumbers and electritions are under the cosh with qualifications more than the rest of us i just think its the same there if you think about it i think it makes sense so i dont think we have to worry to much cheers Graham

Iam going as a roof tiler and slater and it seems that even here now plumbers and electritions are under the cosh with qualifications more than the rest of us i just think its the same there if you think about it i think it makes sense so i dont think we have to worry to much cheers Graham

Out TRA is as a carpenter, not heard about City & Guilds not being suitable. I understand C&G Are accepted in most places. Hope so anyway!:confused:

Guest dglamoore

On some of the skills you would need to do a second TRA on arriving to get your licence but not 100% on how this works as luckily Gregs skills are not licenced :o

Lisa:cool:

Guest Libby1971

Hello

I am not sure about your areas of expertise but I do know of a builder whose qualifications including a degree are not recognised in SA. However they are recognised in Perth so what he he plans to do is pay for a ticket to Perth, register there (about 20mins at a desk), get his ID/ registration card, fly back to SA who have told him that when he has Aussie recognised qualifications they can register him in SA.

If I was joking it would be hilarious!

Libby

Guest Guest75
Just read the thread in the Jobs/Careers forum about a plumber whos qualifications were useless when he got to Austrailia.

Does the same apply to Joiners/carpenters?

If so what the hell do you do?

thanks

The job description of Plumber here can be different.

I know one bloke who recently arrived that found plumbers here are much more expected to be able to do groundwork and trenching than the usual internal plumbing.

Good luck :)

Guest hayls

hi,

cameron my partner is a carpenter of 22 years with his own work shop back home, so we had a huge shock at the wages here as every body does i think, cameron went for loads of jobs and got them all but turned them down as they were about $16 an hour which makes you laugh when you think my daughters get $10 an hour for leading ponies, my daughters are 12 and 13 also cleaners get any thing from $16 an hour upwards, what we found out is jobs advertised as shopfitting isnt really classed as a trade here and also workshop work pays less than working on site.

if you want to work for your self thats a different story you need a license and what a ball ache it is to get one , you still have to prove yourself all over again even though you have done once to get in to the country, cameron is still trying to get his they are now saying he has to go on a timber frame course.

cameron went for a job on site and was told he needed a green card before he could go on site he said he had the equivalent from home they said no good and each state has a different colour so if we went to perth he would have to do it again.

having said all that he has a job 5 mins from home that pays $26 an hour not as much as home but better that the first offer of $16, you are fine if you work for some one else, but its not like home when cameron wanted work he would approach a work site and ask , well they dont do that here they are big on cvs and interviews some thing which cameron was not used to.

please dont let this put you off as its bloody brilliant here and the people are great , if you need any advice let me know and i will ask cameron as while he was doing all that i was busy at the beach with the kids ha ha only joking

we will not be returning to the the uk, the way of life is just great here, and the good thing is you dont need a lot of money to enjoy yourself here, im loving it!!!

bye for now hayls

Guest graandjac

:DAfter speaking to our agent and others we were recommended to take a copy of the TRA application with us including the all important question 8(those who have done it know what i mean) so i am taking a copy of all my refferences and a cv that i have done here , to save the extra hassle in the first few weeks when there. or maybe put it onto disk to just print off when needed. Chaars Graham

:DAfter speaking to our agent and others we were recommended to take a copy of the TRA application with us including the all important question 8(those who have done it know what i mean) so i am taking a copy of all my refferences and a cv that i have done here , to save the extra hassle in the first few weeks when there. or maybe put it onto disk to just print off when needed. Chaars Graham

Graham,

Is that a copy of the main TRA form or just the CV's and reference?

Cheers

Guest graandjac

:)Ian , Yes just the refferences and cv and i did about 20 pages for question 8 which we did as a presentation.. ish if you know what i mean.

I just think that with every thing else going on in that first month or so it might be a good idea to do what might be needed by a future employer here and take it with me, almost to prepare a info pack about you and your skills.

Cheers Graham

Guest graandjac

:)Ian , Yes just the refferences and cv and i did about 20 pages for question 8 which we did as a presentation.. ish if you know what i mean.

I just think that with every thing else going on in that first month or so it might be a good idea to do what might be needed by a future employer here and take it with me, almost to prepare a info pack about you and your skills.

Cheers Graham

Cheers Graham

Graham,

I am having to get my TRA as a Carpenter (with recent work experience as a site manager/Project manager) My certificates have all been copied ie C&G's for time as a carpenter and also my HNC etc for training as site manager as well as all the other training courses that i have had to go on in the last 20 years!

I can get a few more copies of the emloyers reference for future use plus i will also have to get one done from the boss for the time as a site manager.

Do you have any idea if all the certificates have to be re done for the Visa application? If so i will get an extra couple of copies signed now to save time! Also if other things are duplicated from the TRA

I will have to find out what Training/Certicates are required for Site Managers out in Adelaide and if the 17 years experience and references would be taken into account as well as the certificates that i have.

Still, dont mind being a "Mature Student in Aus" if i have to (make a change from when i was last at college!!!)

Cheers

Guest graandjac

Hi Ian Our Agent all a long has asked for two copies of everything with regards the TRA application and two copies for all other docs ie birth cert... marrage cert..... passport copies so when last week our visa application came through she had filled the whole lot in already all we had to do was check the content. We returned it with the payment, then i rang her to ask if that was it, the reply was yes as all the copies of things that i had already sent in , some of them were for the visa application so we were well pleased no more form filling. hope this helps , give us a call if this is not clear. Cheers Graham;)

Cheers Graham

Graham,

I have already got 2 copies of all the certificates and birth certificates etc, all left to do is the marriage certificate copied twice. Hope then that will do with regard the visa as i am running out of room to keep all the copies of everything! Be glad when come Monday(hopefully) all the TRA stuff goes off! Good to hear the Visa is much easier!:)

Guest graandjac

:rolleyes:You think you will be pleased... no chance you will be pooping it like we were...only joking iam sure your agent wouldnt send it off if it would not pass. Do you a deal when you pass we can have that meet up and will share a bottle or two as it seems alot more real then. Cheers Graham

:rolleyes:You think you will be pleased... no chance you will be pooping it like we were...only joking iam sure your agent wouldnt send it off if it would not pass. Do you a deal when you pass we can have that meet up and will share a bottle or two as it seems alot more real then. Cheers Graham

I think when it has gone off i will be need more than a few! I already have a tee-total cab driver!! She even arranged the same birthday as me (6th June) so i always end up paying for the meal and drinks!!

Guest graandjac

did not know weather to laugh or cry when we passed, couldnt get hold of jac,couldnt get hold of my parents so phoned my best mate to share the news, turns out over the past months talking about it they are going to go for it aswell which is great , there from Hastings. Cheers Graham

did not know weather to laugh or cry when we passed, couldnt get hold of jac,couldnt get hold of my parents so phoned my best mate to share the news, turns out over the past months talking about it they are going to go for it aswell which is great , there from Hastings. Cheers Graham

With so many people going someone will have to arrange to turn off the lights!

Guest JPT07

Hi hayls, Thanks for all the information. We are hoping to get out there is September. Paul, my husband is a joiner and was wondering if Camerons wage is self employed payment or on the books? Hope you don't mind us asking but what hours does he work and what are the stoppages? Thanks Paul&Lorna.

Guest Niki & Nige

seeing that plumbers and others have problems in S A ?

does anyone now if a Hairdresser has to take any exams on arriving. !!!

niki:cool:

Guest hayls

Hi Paul And Lorna,

Camerons Wage Is On The Books And Top Line Is About $1000 After Stoppages 775 Not Too Good I Know But If You Work For Your Self Once You Get Your Licence You Can Get $40 An Hour Well Thats What Cam Has Been Told.

Cams Boss Is Really Pleased With Him And Worried That Now He Has His Licence He Will Leave So Has Offered Him Proffit Shares To Try And Give Cam Incentive To Stay.

Cams Hours Are 7.00-4.oo And Plenty Of Overtime.

The Above Figures For Wages Are There Abouts As Cam Does Over Time He Cant Help Himself,but The Above Is For A Flat Week.

Cam Is Also Just Working In A Saw Mill So He Says He Does Not Have To Use His Brain Like Normal So He May Go Abit Mad Soon.

Any Thing Else I Can Help With Let Me Know And I Will Do My Best

Hayls

Guest sarah_clancy
seeing that plumbers and others have problems in S A ?

does anyone now if a Hairdresser has to take any exams on arriving. !!!

niki:cool:

Hey im a hairdresser too, and i got sent all the forms too fill in for twhen i arrive, its a 6 week process and it is likely that you have to do a trade test!

Just bring all ur evidence and certificates with you, i think if you have enough evidence too back yourself up then you might not have too!:o

Guest JPT07

Hi Hayls, Thanks for all the info. Paul's making type you load of questions now, sorry! When you arrived, what was the first thing Cameron had to do before he was able to apply for a job, was it sorting out a tax file number/national insurance number? Pauls been self employed nearly most of his time since leaving school so being on the books for someone will be something new to him. Is there lots of work out there for chippies? It quite daunting leaving safe old Wales and starting a new with two girls (8 &11) and no jobs when we arrive!!

:D

Thanks. Paul&Lorna.