Good things come to those who wait!!!! Keep positive

Guest Devon

Hi all

Thought I would share with you. I wasn't able to work for my first two years due to visa restrictions. When I came back on my new visa status in August I was allowed to work but have been finding it soooo difficult. Not just due to the things you have to go through (getting through the agency telephone and then face to face interview to even get an interview with the company you are applying to. Only for them to not even bother to call you back after all that to tell you you haven't got it)!Then I was told by a certain telecommunications company that although I had worked for fifteen years previously for a UK telecommunications company covering most departments and roles there including management that I did not have enough experience :arghh: Going for banking jobs which I had done years ago in the UK, I was told that due to my temp visa status they couldn't employ me and to try again when I had my perm visa status which we have applied for in Sept but it seems will take 10 - 12 months to get. I decided to wait until we got our pr to look again, and since then had told my OH that I couldn't take not working much longer as I was getting too bored and losing my mind that I wanted us to go back to Europe (I'm one of those few that still love the UK but could never live there again I would want to go back to Spain to live as I loved it there and have a friend who would employ me. It was never my choice to move to Oz in the first place but my OH's) this of course was putting pressure on him and in the mean time I have been having good days but many more depressed days, hence spending all my time on PIA to cheer myself up! How sad is that?!!!! Thank you though!!!!

On one of my down days I had gone shopping and got talking to a lovely aussie lady in a department store. The next couple of times I saw her it came out in conversation that I was looking for work and how fed up with it all I was! Last week she told me to take my resume in. I actually didn't as have never worked in retail before and after my experience with the telephone company here telling me fifteen years wasn't enough experience thought there was no chance. When I went in this week and she asked where it was and telling me that she had meant it and had already made a phone call. The long and the short of it is I had an interview the next day and now have a job with a major international retail chain which has stores in over 40 countries worldwide :jiggy:

The manager is fantastic and I have already made loads of new aussie friends and our lives have done a complete u-turn back to loving it here all in the space of the last few days! I have already worked there and had the most fun time I've had in ages. It was bloomin hard work and my feet were killing me, but I am really really looking forward to it - even all those long hours coming up over Christmas and New Year :biglaugh:

I have read posts before saying be positive, it will come, network etc etc - I've thought yeh yeh it doesn't look like it will for us. You've been lucky.

I think the proof is there though for me. I am so glad that my OH was stalling and that I hung on in there. After being here for two and a half years I am loving it too

Good luck to everyone else who is still looking - hope you get work soon.

Me? Well I probably won't be on here much from the end of next week as I'll be fully trained up by then and working every hour until Christmas. To the aussie lady who helped me (she might take a peek at this site after I told her about it) You are the best :notworthy: and are now a great friend

To everyone else have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS and a PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR!Yes we're on the wine tonight to celebrate

Thanks Sarah, Tyke and Foxychick - sorry for delay in reply - I was working and collapsed when I got home, it's great fun but after so many years not working it's sure hard on the old feet!! :jiggy:

Hope you are all well and have a very :emoticon-signxmas::emoticon-signxmas::emoticon-signxmas:

Just think Sarah next time I see you for a haircut (long overdue)! You won't have to be a counsellor now as well to a whinging pom!