Help required for teaching

delbart

Hi can any teachers out there help with a query? Just in the process of applying for SA Teacher Registration. Can anyone tell me how they work out what salary you will receive. What information will I need to obtain. I can get letter from LEA but not sure what I need to ask for.

1. Does salary depend on experience or is paid from when QTS was gained?

2. Also, is the rate of salary different between state school and private?

3. Is there any negotiation or are there strict pay guidelines?

4. Does the TRB state which pay scale you will get?

Sorry there are so many questions but want to make sure I have everything I need before the big move.

Cheers and thanks Andy

Guest ReadyPenny

Andy

Cant help am afraid, am sure someone will be along to help you when they get out of bed!! If not try a pm to Libby1971,she is a moderator,a teacher and a has a mind full of information useful to all!

Mandy

Guest norah battie

hi there

When I did relief in Catholic ED I got the same rate as everyone else and you get less than Gov. Gave all my documents and forms stating how long I have been teaching...degree etc....They put me up to top scale. Catholic ED did the same when I got a contract and they both backdated everything. At the top scale you are on a really good wage. Gov and contracts dont pay you over the holidays...Catholic ED do and give you a 17.5% loading on top of your end of year pay.Next year I am full time in Catholic Ed and because my school is a charity I get a special salary sacrifice deal....OH has worked out the tax benefits of this means I get an extra $5000...unsure how it all works but I et a lump sum of say $11000 on a special credit card and pay mortgage/school fees/shopping...anything before a certain time.On my payslip it will look as if I am getting less but am actually gaining....too complicated for me.

Send everything when you get here references...degree...record of employment...they need to be specific..DECS (John Wheatland) will give you a detailed list of what your previous employer has to give. Maternity etc affects it...you go to the top of the scale if you have been teaching for 10 full years

hope this helps

The TRB has nothing to do with the salary determination

Good luck

Hi Norah Battie - thanks so much for the information really useful. I have no doubt will have to go supply teaching, so will see what happens when I get there.

Thanks again and also not sure if you know but the actress that plays Norah Battie in last of the summer wine died last week......what a character she played.

Guest Libby1971

Norah is right, the TRb do not have any say about final salary.

However, teaching 10 years= top of pay scale is right IF you have been teaching full time. Each increment is determined according to how many teaching days you have done so if you have met it, then you do up. Each increment is worth a couple of thousand I think.

State does get more than private schools but the difference is not that huge I think. Either way, I am happy with my money. I am not top of scale yet. You can't negotiate on the wage although I did find it odd that I was expected to sign to accept the job and then find out what I was going to be paid. I refused to sign anything until the details of the salary were released and that did not make me popular.

Guest norah battie

reviewed my post and have remembered its 8 years equivalent to get to the top. I had worked full time but then had my kids so all the part time work was added up then added to my full time days...then they took away maternity without pay so I was able to make the 8 years and a bit more mark....