Licensing requirements for electricians

Guest billm

:unsure:Can anyone shine any light on the licensing requirements of sparkys in SA?

How do I get licensed and what do I need to do? I have heard there are different types of license - which is best to get? I haven't done a nationally recognised apprenticeship, it was in-house on the job training and a shed load of city&guilds certificates but it was good enough for the sucessful skills assessment of a general electrician. My experience is industrial - motors, starters, control panels, inverters and the like. I have heard that you need to have a first aid certificate to work on electrical equipment, is this true and if so, will my HSE first aid ticket be valid or will I need to do the Australian equivilent? How much does it cost to get licensed, including any necessary extra training eg. Oz wiring regs, etc. Can I do any of it while still in Britain to save a bit of time when I get to Oz?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:notworthy:

Bill 39(Maintenance Engineer), Linda 39 (Office Manager), Sam 15 (Typical Teenager), Rachael 11 (Typical Teenager Wannabe)

Skills Assessed - General Electrician 08/07

Application Sent and Acknowledged 01/08

Case Officer 11/08

Meds & Police Checks requested and sent 12/08

Final Waiting Period

Hope to be in Adelaide July/August 09 (If visa arrives!)

Guest tooeasy

1st of all did you come over on your skills via tra route or veetasses

if you came over via tra then you need to apply for a artc trade certificate then also do the wiring regs course the best place to do the course and exam is peer tec http://www.peer.com.au/Training/UpskillTraining/Electrical/WiringRules/tabid/142/Default.aspx

that is the link to the course once you have done the exam and completed and got your trade certificate from the artc then you need to go to ocbar and apply for you 'A' class electrical licence the form for the artc is tricky and you need to do a complete refrence of what your duties included and what tools you use daily as if you were telling someone who knows nothing about electrics the best grade to get from the artc is electical mechanic as then you can do anything

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplace/Programmes/TRA/2SkillsassessmentforAustralianRecognisedTradeCertificateARTC.htm

that is the site for the artc

if you need anymore info give me a shout:)

Guest tooeasy

you can apply for your artc while still in britain but you will need an aussie address to have the forms sent to as they wont send them abroad ;)

peer will send coursework to anywhere you need to fill in and do the coursework they give you but need to be in australia to sit the exam :)

Thanks for the info.

I got it via tra just before the change - hurried it through before the price went up and I had to do a test! Can I use the same info to get the artc as I used for the skills assessment as I have a copy and that was thorough. If I'm honest I couldn't think of anything to add to it.

I don't know anyone in Australia to have the forms sent to so do you know if there is anyway round this or agencies,etc who will let you use their adress and forward mail on? It would save us a bit of time and mean I can start earning quicker.

Can I choose which license to go for or do I get told by artc when I apply?

How regular are the regs tests done?

Do I have to sit a trade test to get the license even after getting the artc and the wiring regs?

Sorry for all the questions.

Guest tooeasy

hi

you have to put a lot more info in the form for your artc i know a lot of people that have not put enough info in the form and then have had to go through a telephone interview or worse still an expensive trade test so the more info you can put on the form the better

you can still work on sites till you get your licence I did a lot of companies will take you on till you get your licence but not so much on the maintanance side

if you want to you can use our address for the artc and i will post them on to you they run about 2 exams a month more if it gets busy so no worries about getting wiring regs exam

if you want you can pm me and i will send you our address

:)