Aircraft work in Adelaide

Guest albie2008

Guest albie2008

Can anybody help me? Myself and the family have just been granted our 175 visa and we really fancy settling in the Port Noarlunga/Seaford area(we have to be in Australia by the 22nd of sept 2009). I am an aircraft engineer(22yr almost ex RAF airframes/engines) and have found lots of websites advertising jobs but that never compares to someone who is actually in the area and knows the pitfalls. so my questions are can anybody out there recommend places/companies to look for a job and can anyone tell me how long the actual drive is from Noarlunga/seaford to RAAF Edinburgh. Thanks swifty and kay

Guest Louise1

Hi Swifty and Kay

According to Google maps UK - Seaford SA to Edinburg SA is 40.9 miles by car and will take you about 1 hour and 37 mins to get there.

It also shows public transport routes which are all over 2 half hours.

Go onto Google search engine - type in Seaford SA - and then press go

At the top of the screen click on maps - this will bring up a map of Seaford. On the map it will say to - from - click on to & type your destination.

On the left hand of screen you can request by car or walking

If you click on options it will say miles or km.

Then click on get directions and it will give you a route, distance and time it takes.

Also available is public transport.

I haven't tested it as yet as we are still in the UK - but I use it all of the time to find the distances.

Hope this helps

Happy New Year:)

Louise x

Guest TC for short

Hi Swifty

Colt or Marham?! The drive from Noarlunga/Seaford to Edinburgh would kill you fairly quickly. It's a long trek & all suburban. I'd say the best bet would be to look at the triangle between Adelaide airport, Parafield & Edinburgh to give yourself the best bite at all cherries. Careful with the areas though - there are (allegedly!) some not-so-salubrious ones!

I'm led to believe that the RAAF are desperately short of SNCOs/Officers with experience. Edinburghs got P3s plus their version of ETPS so lots of different types. Don't know, but I suspect they have some civvy contractors. I think there are a few RAF/RAAF transferees on here who may be able to give you a steer.

Parafield is mostly piston trainer & private types with a couple of big flying schools & some private jets (Citations & the like)

At Adelaide there are Cobhams/National Jet (BA146, B717, DHC8), Rex (SF340), Alliance (F50), Qantas (B737), Pilatus (PC12s). That's all the eng bases I can think of, but obviously a good mix of turbo-props & jets. I don't think Virgin have much of an engineering capability here, but I may be wrong.

There are quite a few ex-RAF engineers out here, some of whom are on here & may be able to help. I'm ex-Wattisham ATC hence the lack of hard info!

You could also try http://www.pprune.org/dunnunda-godzone-24/

Stick something on both fora & you may get a bite. Also the engineers' section.

Luck!

TC

Guest albie2008

TC

I am at marham at the moment, the norfolk vortex always seems to drag us back!

cheers for the info lots there for me to look into.

I dont fancy a stop start commute would drive me insane after a while.

Thanks again

swifty

TC

I am at marham at the moment, the norfolk vortex always seems to drag us back!

cheers for the info lots there for me to look into.

I dont fancy a stop start commute would drive me insane after a while.

Thanks again

swifty

Yeah, give that commute a miss - what a nightmare! If you want seaside living and a reasonable commute to RAAF Edinburgh, live at Semaphore or thereabouts. There are 2 great 3-lane roads (Port River Expressway and Port Wakefield Road) that would get you most of the way there in about 35-40 minutes.

Guest massive

We are in Gawler got a friend who commutes to Edinbugh for the same kind of work there is a train route that will take you direct . We have great schools shops and eateries. If you are looking for beach life i would say Henelys you get less than semaphore but there's no comparison that's just my opinion so have a look for yourself and make your own mind up . We have friends at Hallet cove and it takes about 50 mins from edinburgh of a weekend if thats any help .

We are in Gawler got a friend who commutes to Edinbugh for the same kind of work there is a train route that will take you direct . We have great schools shops and eateries. If you are looking for beach life i would say Henelys you get less than semaphore but there's no comparison that's just my opinion so have a look for yourself and make your own mind up . We have friends at Hallet cove and it takes about 50 mins from edinburgh of a weekend if thats any help .

I drove from Hallett Cove to Mawson Lakes for years, and that's a 50 minute drive guaranteed, longer in peak-hour traffic, on workdays. Edinburgh is another 15 minutes North from Mawson Lakes, and Port Noarlunga is a good 10 minutes South of Hallett Cove, Seaford even longer. Do the arithmetic - you will never do it in much under an hour and a half unless you are prepared to speed, and lose your licence in 6 months! Besides, speeding is impossible in peak traffic.

Everybody has their favourite beach (Semaphore isn't mine either), but I mentioned Semaphore because it is one of the nearest to Edinburgh and is 5 minutes drive from the wonderful Port River Expressway.

Gawler IS lovely - but it depends on whether you want to live by the beach or have a 40 minute drive to one.

Bill