Bricklaying in Adelaide

Guest Chatterbox

Guest Chatterbox

We are just waiting for our VISA hope to get by the end of Jan 09. Should be moving to Adelaide April 2009. My hubby is a Bricklayer and has been in the trade for 20 years (he is only 37). We are hoping that he will be able to get work in Adelaide when we get there. Getting confused at the mo as some people say that there is work and others say there isn't. Is there anybody out there that can give us some good advice. It is such a big move for our family so we want to make sure we are moving to the right area. Any idea on wages?

TRA passed October 2007

Permanent Visa sent December 2007

Case Officer allocated October 2008/D/L for Medicals/Police Checks 04.01.09

Medicals & Police Checks sent November 2008

Still waiting!

Is anyone else still waiting for there Visa as long as us?. Seems to be taking a long time to come through? Getting very impatient now!

Stephen (37) Hermione (35) George (4) & Harry (11) months

Guest dunnarunna

hi there

it depends on where you will be living but if its in the northern suburbs contact geary11 ( pia member) hes often looking for bricklayers.

you do get conflicting views at the moment because the recession isnt as bad here as elsewhere yet, there still seems to be houses being built but when things slow down its usually hits the housing and the brickies. the first time buyer grant from the government seems to be keeping the housing market going at the mo, unlike in the uk where it seems to have ground to a halt and i know its a very hard time for the brickies there.

donna

Hi my OH is a brickie and has work lined up, with supervisors offering more..so at the moment it seems all is ok, as donna said the new first home owners grant has really helped...hourly you are looking at $30 - $35ph, thats self-employed..not many building companys offer employed work. the other way is to get your builders licence and work for the big home builders (devine, sterling homes, ian wood homes etc) then you will get price work roughly 85cents per brick (more with some builders) plus extras (cuts, cills)

Hope that helps

PM us if you need anymore help

Jo:v_SPIN:

Guest Chatterbox
Hi my OH is a brickie and has work lined up, with supervisors offering more..so at the moment it seems all is ok, as donna said the new first home owners grant has really helped...hourly you are looking at $30 - $35ph, thats self-employed..not many building companys offer employed work. the other way is to get your builders licence and work for the big home builders (devine, sterling homes, ian wood homes etc) then you will get price work roughly 85cents per brick (more with some builders) plus extras (cuts, cills)

Hope that helps

PM us if you need anymore help

Jo:v_SPIN:

Hi Jo

Thanks that is really useful. We are new to PIA what does PM us mean? Sorry don't mean to be silly - hope I have responded correctly!

My hubby used to work for the large house builders over here doing new builds but they are just non existent at the mo. Just really want to get over there now - getting impatient waiting for our Visa to come through seems to take forever!!

What is Adelaide like? Would you recommend it? We too have a little Harry he was born January 2008 (how mad is that). Any info you could give about Adelaide would be greatly received as we have never been. What areas would you recommend to live that are nice for the children?

Would love to keep in touch as seems we might have a lot in common and you never know we could soon be neighbours!

Looking forward to hearing back from you soon

Thanks again

Hermione (35) Stephen (37) George (4) and Harry (almost 1):chatterbox: