Update on Adelaide job market

niknjas

Hi

Just joined, hope you can help.

My hubbie is a self employed roofer with 25 years experience, undertaken his Silver Trowel assessment and going for sponsorship. Been told all should go through by July - Sept this year at the latest. Can't seem to find much for roofing jobs in the Adelaide region even though this is on the skilled shortage list. Can you shed any light on this?

Guest vixpinkbabe

Hi James,

My boyf and I are hoping to move to Adelaide in Sept/October this year and he's panicking about jobs (credit crunch etc). He's a software developer with a 2:1 Computer Science Degree. He has 2 years Java experience and will have almost 3 by the time we get there. Can I still him to chill and stop worrying or not?

Many thanks, Vicky.

Guest 0125dannydanny

Someone said that their Chef husband would expect $20 an hour at the high end if lucky.....sure I'm not over yet but have seen many chef..even cook...jobs ..that are $20 to $30 an hour. seems that good wages are possible like the uk.

Guest cornish Busdriver

Hi Vicky.

Like your bf i also have a degree in software programming (1st Bsc hons digital arts & technologies).

I have about years of expereince in C++, C#, Java, micro java, lingo, actionscript, PHP, SQL, ASP and a few others. The work is there if he has PR visa and willing start at the bottom.

I have software already in industry and one of my programmes is being used in deaf schools to teach kids how to work with sound visually but this made no difference to where i was going to have to start so not being prepared to start from the begining again ive now gone back to bus driving here as its more money but thinking bout startig up my own business again building bespoke software and websites for companys.

Someone said that their Chef husband would expect $20 an hour at the high end if lucky.....sure I'm not over yet but have seen many chef..even cook...jobs ..that are $20 to $30 an hour. seems that good wages are possible like the uk.

Really? Please tell me where you have seen these jobs advertised. My husband has been a chef over here for 3 years....and I'm not talking just a chef...i'm talking chef/manager and head chef positions.....the highest hourly rate he has ever earned is $22.77 per hour.....and that is as a Head Chef...but that is in contract catering.

If you want to work in restaurants and hotels and do split shifts and weekends etc...etc...you may earn around $25....but you will be working bloody awful hours!

There is a restaurant who are always advertising for staff, offering great money...but those adverts are in the paper every couple of weeks.....i wonder why?

I'm not trying to put people off coming over....just being honest and saying how it is!

Lorraine

Guest 0125dannydanny

Sure, it is at Seek.com that I've been checking out. I'm sure your right about the nights and weekends. I've been used to this in the past, so probably work 50 hours a week,they can forget any more! One Chef is needed at The Earl of Leicester Hotel-$25-30 HR rate.

p.s I like th sound of Happy valley LOL

Guest graandjac

:DI am also a roof tiler from the uk but wanted a change , but there are roofing jobs out here. The way to to it is go round the sites and chat to people its hard to do but in my oponion the best way. Also look up Boral roofing , they have most of the Main contracts for roofing and sub out 90% of all the roofing work. They will be able to put you in the right direction. good luck

Really? Please tell me where you have seen these jobs advertised. My husband has been a chef over here for 3 years....and I'm not talking just a chef...i'm talking chef/manager and head chef positions.....the highest hourly rate he has ever earned is $22.77 per hour.....and that is as a Head Chef...but that is in contract catering.

If you want to work in restaurants and hotels and do split shifts and weekends etc...etc...you may earn around $25....but you will be working bloody awful hours!

There is a restaurant who are always advertising for staff, offering great money...but those adverts are in the paper every couple of weeks.....i wonder why?

I'm not trying to put people off coming over....just being honest and saying how it is!

Lorraine

Lorraine

I like your honesty. I think what you see on Seek.com and the reality when you actually start looking for a job and living here can be quite different.

I have been here nearly 2 years and often look on Seek.com (I am job hunting at the moment) and the same recruitment agencies are always advertising and I have seen this one particular admin job advertised numerous times over the 2 years I have been here - either this job does not exist and they are using it as a way of just getting candidates to sign up or this company is not a good employer and they must lose the person they recruited after about a month and have to start again!

There is another advert that is always in the Advertiser jobs page on a Saturday and this recruitment agency always needs 8 legal secretaries, every few weeks they always need 8 people!

Guest SA Great
Hi

Just joined, hope you can help.

My hubbie is a self employed roofer with 25 years experience, undertaken his Silver Trowel assessment and going for sponsorship. Been told all should go through by July - Sept this year at the latest. Can't seem to find much for roofing jobs in the Adelaide region even though this is on the skilled shortage list. Can you shed any light on this?

Hi guys I am from Swindon as well!!! Stratton St Margaret!! How about you guys??

Guest 0125dannydanny

Ah. I'll keep this in mind. Too be honest my experiences of agency staff and jobs have been 'stay away' and this i of course in th uk.

Anyway I guess I don't have to think about this now...but I had a strange dream last night that I was in Tazmania living happily! It would have to be awesome for me to consider there because of the uk like weather .

Thankyou, for your email.

I strongly disagree with your comment Suzer.

I do reply to all questions asked regarding the Adelaide employment market and my posted thread.

I have met with some great people though PIA and they have given me positive feedback. (you know who you are !!)

Unfortunately you don't see the related questions on email that I receive on a daily basis and always reply to.

I would appreciate it if you didn't post negative words on PIA.

Have a good day.

Yes nice this fella has come on twice to advertise his services then left without giving any advice other than to ring him up.

Suzer,

I post with the same intention as yourself, to help people here in Adelaide.

I have had good feedback and authorisation from the administrator's of PIA and PIA welcomes my service.

As mentioned in my original message, most people do contact me by telephone or email, direct.

It is only a small amount of people who contact me through the Forum.

Thankyou for your time and interest.

Guest Libby1971

Time out people please.

Suzer, I asked James to keep any mention of his advice to a minimum and also asked him that if he was responding to queries asking his advice, then he was to ask people to contact him through pm mostly as this is not really a place for discussing things from a professional market perspective. You will know that Sas of Guzzler&Sas is also in this field and she does exactly the same as James does...she asks people to pm her. James has amended his signature as requested to include a link to his email. I also note with interest that your signature is larger than his and far less subtle (does size matter?). Also you have had a number of posts in which others promote your services as a non-professional resume advisor and you respond in more detail, almost crossing that very fine line. James' original post is gone, deleted as advertising, as per forum regs.

Enough of this bickering

Thankyou, for your email.

I strongly disagree with your comment Suzer.

I do reply to all questions asked regarding the Adelaide employment market and my posted thread.

I have met with some great people though PIA and they have given me positive feedback. (you know who you are !!)

Unfortunately you don't see the related questions on email that I receive on a daily basis and always reply to.

I would appreciate it if you didn't post negative words on PIA.

Have a good day.

I must agree with Suzer, all the posts you do are just plain advertising of your services. If you wish to advertise your company i suggest you get approval from Tim as PIA has some rules and guidelines that must be followed regarding advertising