Fashion Design jobs in Adelaide

Guest karen82

Guest karen82

Hi Everyone,

I am a Fashion Designer thinking about applying for the 475 regional sponsored visas for Adelaide but I can't find any jobs at all in Adelaide, which I find really bizarre as Fashion Design was in the Adelaide's skill shortage list! :wacko:

I have looked absolutely everywhere, Internet, emailed recruitment agents and spoke to migration experts, all the design jobs seems to be in Melbourne and Sydney.

Dose anyone have any ideas to how I can find a fashion design job in Adelaide or anyone know of any fashion head offices that are based there who I can contact?

If you are working as a designer in Adelaide, please get in touch!:)

Many Thanks,

Karen

Hi Everyone,

I am a Fashion Designer thinking about applying for the 475 regional sponsored visas for Adelaide but I can't find any jobs at all in Adelaide, which I find really bizarre as Fashion Design was in the Adelaide's skill shortage list! :wacko:

I have looked absolutely everywhere, Internet, emailed recruitment agents and spoke to migration experts, all the design jobs seems to be in Melbourne and Sydney.

Dose anyone have any ideas to how I can find a fashion design job in Adelaide or anyone know of any fashion head offices that are based there who I can contact?

If you are working as a designer in Adelaide, please get in touch!:)

Many Thanks,

Karen

I am not a fashion designer but my friend emigrated 6 years ago and she was a fashion desinger in the UK. She moved to a regional town on the Victoria/NSW border, but there was no demand at all for a fashion designer. She was offered work in Melbourne, but turned it down as she did not want to relocate and her husband had been sponsored by his company and his job was in the regional town.

I spoke to my friend yesterday and she said all the fashion design work is in Melbourne and Sydney.

She is now an Assessor in Retail and doing well, company car etc but really struggled when she came out and had to dumb down her CV to basically get paid work and work in shops.

Thanks for replying.

It's so silly to put fashion design in the SA 475 list when there are no jobs there at all!

I suppose one way of looking at it is at least your skill gets you into the country. There are a lot of people that would like to emigrate that do not have that opportunity.

I suppose as well it depends how established you are in your career in the UK and how prepared you are to give that up to start a new life.

• 2 years later...
Guest Jo&Phil

Most of the independant designers here seem to be working for themselves - a good example is Liza Emmanuele (www.http://lizaemanuele.com.au/) but that doesn't mean they don't have some staff, though probably not many.

The TAFE SA course already mentioned is very well regarded and students from there gain employment, though it may not all be in Adelaide. An email to them would probably elicit some information about job opportunities

By the way --- its not really surprising that country Victoria isn't awash with fashion designers ...it's definitely not that type of place! :)