Told to stay where we are...whats going on?

Guest GAFFBAM

Guest GAFFBAM

Hi everyone, my husband who is a 'Chippie' made his usual round of calls last night and was speaking to a Kitchen Fitter in Adelaide. He told him to stay where he is if he has a job? He's starting to see a downturn. Thats one mans opinion I know but judging by the calls and emails he makes/writes, there isn't much response.What does everybody else think? I know from the POMSINOZ site that things aren't great in Perth and Brisbane, people are returning home. It's worrying really as I would hate to get all the way over there to find there is no work. Does anybody have anything to add? We need to make a 'very informed' decision, thanks!

Hi, I really wanted to bump up your thread to see if someone else can offer some specific advice with regards to that line of work. My oh is a chef so have no real advice to offer though all i can say is that it is a global recession and i still worry about my husbands job being under threat. It is a worry here as well, i think - whatever line of work you may be in.

I hope you get some other peoples thoughts and advice on this. Good luck.

sjs

Guest guest569

Hi,

I fit wardrobes and some of the other installers used to fit kitchens. The recession isn't hitting YET but the next few months will see how carefull people are being with their home improvements money. Its definately still worth coming over as i'm sure IF the recession does hit here it won't be as bad as the Uk as we are watching and learning in advance from how the rest of the world manage.

Where i buy my fixings the assistant said last week that trade has slowed but nothing to worry about YET !!

Hope this helps.

Getting some info from the "locals"; they reckon S A will be sheltered from the worst of the recession because of the mining industry.....................not that that helps a chippie!

Colleagues in work are STILL buying / building/ renovating houses...................and prices are slowly heading downwards. some have family in the building trade...........apparently roofers, sparks, chippies and brickies are still needed but mainly on a casual basis.

there is still work out there, and it looks better than the UK.

Good luck.

Jane

Guest Rob and Clare

A report out last week stated that SA could be the hardest hit in the recession because of the mining industry. We rely heavily on mining but with the commodity prices at rock bottom the miners are beginning to make a loss and close mines down.

Whilst I don't know if it'll be worse here or in the UK, at least in the UK you have a decent welfare system if it comes to the worst and you may not have that here.

Guest tooeasy

listening to what has been said on tv and what is happening on the building sites i have been working on i dont think its going to be anywhere near as bad as the recesion in the uk there is still a hell of a lot of building going on in sa loads happening in port adelaide at the submarie corporation and still loads of large projects going on in the city too where as the uk nothing is happening my friend is a builder for barrats and he is on a short week and has been for a while

Guest graandjac

:DI Cant see the building slowing down just yet , especially that first time builders get a $25,000 grant..!!!which is what it was intended to do, the thing is you will have to take a drop in wages to start however good your hubby is.....but in time you get out and about meet more people and move up the ladder.

I started at the bottom of the ladder saying to my boss that i was prepared to start on a lower wage but i believed that i could prove myself and force him to pay me more.....just had my 2nd payrise in 4 months of 20%.....it takes time but good workers will always rise to the top, where ever you are in the world good luck.

PS dont worry about getting nio responses there are so many people from the uk making enquires replying to all would be impossible.