Nursing.. Burnside Hospital

Guest Allie Bloss

Guest Allie Bloss

Hi All.

I'm seeking some info & opinions on Nursing at Burnside War memorial hospital

http://www.burnsidehospital.asn.au/

We are currently looking to move around the Seaford Rise area, they are doing some off plan building work here which looks up our street but again anyone that can advise on this area or just tell us anything about it we'd love to hear.

I am a nurse, currently working in my local accident & emergency department (5yrs experience) and have seen in the RCN magazine that Burnside hospital are doing interviews in March - I have been in contact with them and they have said I sound like a good candidate for their HDU, my concerns are that I really need 'sociable' hours with three boys under 3 1/2yrs and no friends or family in Oz at all I'm only going to be able to work when the boys are in childcare. Ideally I was looking for something along the pre-op assessment / out patients dept line of work.

I would love to hear what anyone has to say..

Also how long would it take to commute to Burnside hospital (3km from CBD) from Seaford Rise?

Many thanks

Allie.:wubclub:

Burnside is a lovely area on the East side of the City, considered by many locals to be one of the most sought-after suburbs to live in. Wide leafy streets, hills as a backdrop, very, very nice.

You could have a look on the RAA site for approximate travelling times from Seaford (which is in the South West), remembering to bear in mind that there would be lots of traffic lights to slow you down en route, and the Southern Expressway only runs in one direction, changing halfway through the day, so may or may not be available to you if you are working shifts.

http://www.raa.net/travel_trip_planner.asp?TerID=580 reckons it's about 45 minutes travel time.

If you're not fixated on a beachside suburb, you could try looking either up in the Hills around Bridgewater, or in the Northeastern suburbs. But have a look for yourself and see what you like most. Good luck with the job.

Diane

Hi All.

I'm seeking some info & opinions on Nursing at Burnside War memorial hospital

http://www.burnsidehospital.asn.au/

We are currently looking to move around the Seaford Rise area, they are doing some off plan building work here which looks up our street but again anyone that can advise on this area or just tell us anything about it we'd love to hear.

I am a nurse, currently working in my local accident & emergency department (5yrs experience) and have seen in the RCN magazine that Burnside hospital are doing interviews in March - I have been in contact with them and they have said I sound like a good candidate for their HDU, my concerns are that I really need 'sociable' hours with three boys under 3 1/2yrs and no friends or family in Oz at all I'm only going to be able to work when the boys are in childcare. Ideally I was looking for something along the pre-op assessment / out patients dept line of work.

I would love to hear what anyone has to say..

Also how long would it take to commute to Burnside hospital (3km from CBD) from Seaford Rise?

Many thanks

Allie.:wubclub:

burnside is way way out for seaford would take you well over an hour to get there. i had an interview for burnside hdu before i came here. I was an horrendous interview 2 hours long and really over the top. It is only a small hdu with no emergency so its basically a post-op unit and i thought their interview techniques were intrusive and personal.

I didnt get the job lol, but by the end of the interview io didnt want it. But there is a girl on here who works in oncolog there. Why do you want to live in seaford btw? Really you need to get here and then decide but with young children there is no way i would want to drive burnside to seaford every day.

I know noarlunga emergecny were looking for staff and personally i would never work in private sector here again. Working conditions are much better in public system, i worked at ashford hdu and surgical unit for 7 months i still do casual for them but i would never work permananet as their staffing is appalling and well dont get me started on clinical stuff, save your money and go medicare lol.

Flinders medical center isnt far about 30 mins and that has a bigger unit , and is a very nice hospital. you dont say what visa you are coming on or are you looking for sponsorship. My own personal advice is to go straight for pr with young kids. That way your not tied to an employer, ok it will take longer but if you take a job through an agency then dont like it or hours are crap (and the shifts here are crap 7 am - 3 ish and lates can finsih at 22.30 then your back for 7am argghh). Also jobs through agencies with visas attached usually have a financial clause if you break them.

Sorry i sound like im putting you off but there is so so so much work here for nurses you dont need to use an agency and thats a huge mistake i made.

ive probly waffled but if you want family firendly hours you will find it more difficult than the uk unless you do nights or like you say outpatients. I now work for RDNS hours are better 8-4.30 and im so glad of the change. Feel free to pm me if you need anymore info as ive worked with lots of aussies and they all tell me publics better x

Burnside is a lovely area on the East side of the City, considered by many locals to be one of the most sought-after suburbs to live in. Wide leafy streets, hills as a backdrop, very, very nice.

You could have a look on the RAA site for approximate travelling times from Seaford (which is in the South West), remembering to bear in mind that there would be lots of traffic lights to slow you down en route, and the Southern Expressway only runs in one direction, changing halfway through the day, so may or may not be available to you if you are working shifts.

http://www.raa.net/travel_trip_planner.asp?TerID=580 reckons it's about 45 minutes travel time.

If you're not fixated on a beachside suburb, you could try looking either up in the Hills around Bridgewater, or in the Northeastern suburbs. But have a look for yourself and see what you like most. Good luck with the job.

Diane

thats way out dont believe those sights youd have to get through/sround the city and it used to take me 45 mins to ashford which is nearer

sorry just seen your on pr visa in that case apply direct to hospitals. If your definetly set on seaford rise (and i live there its very nice though im not sure if there is much land there at moment i thought it had all sold so check that bit out).

Hospitals

http://www.flinders.sa.gov.au/ flinders

http://www.rgh.sa.gov.au/ repat which a few agency nurses ive worked with really seem to like

noarlunga has a nice a+e but its not huge any any major trauma goes to flinders but its probly going to expand in time they also have theatres there

Then your looking at all the big city hospital like QEH queen elizabeth or the RAH ..Royal Adelaide but again travlleing time/parking could be an issue from seaford if you have littlies.

there are tons of jobs on career one so id get applying or apply direct to the hospitals. If you fancy district nursing i can give you the number for RDNS x

• 3 weeks later...
Guest alan smallman

Hi Allie

We went over last year in April. My OH had an interview there. I didn't but I think it was because I hadn't said I had other experience other than as a Urology nurse (I've worked in ICU several years ago though). The place is very clean and evreyone we met seemed very firendly especially the two head bods who interviewed Pauline. We had a tour and ended up in HDU, and again people we met were very friendly. So much so that I nearly phoned them up and asked them if I could work there in HDU. We both ended up being offered (and accepting) jobs at The Memorial hospital. Burnside reminds me of a leafy part of Birmingham called Edgbaston. I stopped an elderly pateint outside and asked her what she thought of the hospital. I know that it was only one opinion but I guessed if she'd lived in adelaide so long then she'd have a valid opinion on several places. She said that she had received healthcare at several places indeed, and that burnside was one of the best. can't say fairer than that. Hope this helps.

XX Alan