Graphic Designers

Guest vicky

Hi Vicky

My husband is a graphic designer with a background in lecturing in the UK. We've been here a year and he managed to secure some casual teaching pretty much as soon as we arrived and is also a self employed web designer/ graphic designer. He was always interested in the teaching and self employment as opposed to working in industry...however has always kept his eyes open for other opportunities.

Graphic design jobs are advertised here but you may find a lot of competition for those jobs as, according to a fair few Aussies we've met, many grads here are trained in GD so are surplus to requirements. I think the best bet would be for your partner to contact as many GD companies/studios as possible before you make the move...it does no harm to send out feelers and resumes to any prospective employers.

Also bare in mind your partner is likely to have to start in a lesser role than he was used to in the UK...this is very common for many migrants in Adelaide, and not necessarily determined by job type.

Good luck for your possible future move...and I hope my very honest info has helped.

Take a look on seek and career one websites for current job listings, and maybe sign up for updates to get a real feel for the market for GD jobs?

Good luck

Dette