Email resume.

sueoc

Anyone else spent weeks or months searching for jobs here?Did you get frustrated at the same stereotypical impersonal bimbo when you phoned anywhere,who just reels off the standard reply"Email Resume".Having then done this,NOTHING,No reply.Then the nonesense starts again"EMAIL RESUME"Then nothing.What a perplexing system!The theory is fine,but in practice its damn annoying.

Guest Jamie&Carrie
Anyone else spent weeks or months searching for jobs here?Did you get frustrated at the same stereotypical impersonal bimbo when you phoned anywhere,who just reels off the standard reply"Email Resume".Having then done this,NOTHING,No reply.Then the nonesense starts again"EMAIL RESUME"Then nothing.What a perplexing system!The theory is fine,but in practice its damn annoying.

How was your resume set out? Australian companys prefer a slightly differing format to the usual CV we're used to.

i.e. list of skills/duties demonstrated on all relevant positions you held that relate to the job your applying for.

Omit any personal info- likes snowboarding, knitting etc. They aren't interested in that.

At the very top under my contact details I also had a 'profile' section which listed all my attributes

i.e.

An ability to motivate and inspire colleagues, leading by example

Committed to the highest levels of professional and personal excellence

Skilled at building effective, productive relationships with customers and staff

...and so on.

My resume is about 5 pages long which normally would be regarded as to long in UK circles and would probably be binned ALAS when I submitted mine online here, I got a phone call in within 24 hours of sending it! 1 telephone and 1 face to face interview and lots of anxiety and sweating later I now have a job.

I am a 'secondary' applicant on a 457 so I know how daunting it can be when applying for work.

Hi Sue,

Like previous posts have suggested in the past, contact Suzer - she will help you to compile an Aussie style resume. Good luck with the job hunting and yes, a very frustrating process. Also, I am finding enrolling and sorting out fees for a university course equally frustrating! Best wishes.

Guest brandyslad

Am I correct in thinking Aus CVs are a lot longer than ours? I have done up a detailed CV which is about 5 or 6 pages, this is what I submitted for SA sponsorship. I know here it is best to have it on 2 pages but I heard somewhere that they like the 'longer version'.