window fitters!!!

Guest ray and sharon from cov

Hi there

We hopefully moving to adilade and was hoping anyone had any information on window fitters in Adelaide. I am a carpenter by trade but i mainly fitt windows, doors, porches and conservatories. But whilst trailling through all the job websites, i cannot see any jobs detailing my current work description.

Do you know if there is a market for window fitters (because someone has to be putting them in!!) :unsure:

If anyone has any information or ideas , It would be much appreciated.

Thanks Ray

Guest Team 'W'

Hi Ray

The windows in Oz are mainly aluminium with the rest been made up predominantly of timber and a very small amount of pvc. We've just been accepted for SA Sponsorship and we hope to be setting up a pvc manufacturing company later this year.....fingers crossed!!:jiggy:

Just starting our application with DIAC so expecting to take 6 long months of form filling and waiting!! :arghh:

Good Luck,

Stuart

Guest TC for short

Start doing double-glazing & you'll have a roaring trade from ex-pats. They just don't do it out here, so you boil in summer & freeze in winter. Also a lack of weather-bars on doors/doorways.

TC

Guest leppingtons

Hi there, i too do the old window fitting, or did do prior to us comin over here 2 years ago. Believe me the windows they have installed here are of the poorest quality, no double glazing and they dont even seal the external frame to the brickwork. Ive been loking at doing it but firstly you will need a license to do it or anything construction wise. Thats a pain in the arse. Its a very close nit community and to find work of that type is hard tosay the least. If you do manage to find it you will have to measure your own fits and your liable if they dont fit... As for Pvcu. i dont think they have got it sorted here yet, I do know of 1 company manufacturing but ive never seen em working. Im sure they do. Also i dont suppose the profile would stand the constant barrage of ultra violet. Hope thats of interest to ya. Good luck

Guest guest569

Smit on here or aka sarahsmartiepants's better half looked into it all. Give him a shout for some info.

The company i contract to are looking at setting up an allumium window section. Both domestic and commercial.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I think it gets too hot for upvc windows here. You could get trapped in or out of your house if you ask me. Our very good quality door in the UK got swollen in the heat there and it is nothing like the heat here!

The metal windows here are shi** not sealed to the brickwork and half the the time there isnt much above them either, nice big drain holes for the spiders to come in too:wacko:

Guest leppingtons

Not neccesarily too hot . Depends how they are fitted and measured... Maybe theres an opening for someone to seal external window frames to brickwork. Stops ants and the like...As for gettin trapped indoors. If they insisted on all windows were to be made with fire egress then that wouldnt be a problem... They will have to do something soon re greenhouse gasses etc and thermal insulation if the government is to be seen to be doing the right thing...

Not neccesarily too hot . Depends how they are fitted and measured... Maybe theres an opening for someone to seal external window frames to brickwork. Stops ants and the like...As for gettin trapped indoors. If they insisted on all windows were to be made with fire egress then that wouldnt be a problem... They will have to do something soon re greenhouse gasses etc and thermal insulation if the government is to be seen to be doing the right thing...
I cant see how UPVC would stand up to the direct sunlight here. The expansion rate would IMO make the locks that we know of in UK unworkable. But hey there is a bloke here that used to do them , whether he still does I dont know ...Ausscot windows. As for egress hinges , I think the point mentioned above was regarding doors;). Even with windows you may have a problem with expansion. If I was to go sealed units I would go aluminium. There are actually a few commercial window profiles that arent that bad . Not brill , but acceptable. Yes you need a licence, but not always;). As said before though, you have to do the surveying as well as fitting in domestic work. Commercial work is better.

cheers

Guest leppingtons

its all to do with the manufacturer. the expansion should be taken into account when manufactured. They dont have to be steel reinforced. which is what causes most distortion to occur.

its all to do with the manufacturer. the expansion should be taken into account when manufactured. They dont have to be steel reinforced. which is what causes most distortion to occur.
The reinforcing makes little difference, ally or steel. Its the chemical make up of the Upvc which is the main protagonist in expansion, added to what locking mechanism is used. Some companies use mechanisms with limited clearance on the cams, which doesnt help the situation.

As you may well know, as you were,' or are in the industry , woodgrain expanded more than white upvc. This is just an example of different chemical makeups.There maybe different profiles made for this climate ,which I havent researched . I would expect profiles available here would be of a different make up.

Ally windows have a lesser expansion rate.

If youve got any info on profiles available here id be interested to read

cheers

Smit

hi all- many thanks for all your responses (at least it will give him an idea) - will let him know when he gets in from work

sharon (rays better half);)

We had double glazing in our house in the south of spain. Tempertures can get up to 31C and we never experienced any problem. They kept the warmth in the winter and kept the house cool in summer.

Also the frame have an extra grove where there is a shutter. So the window and shutter comes complete. Its fantastic because you can bring down the shutterdown to keep the sun out, or leave the shutter up completely. Or you can closed the shutter completely which makes the room very dark. Excellent for when you put the kids to bed.

Also the shutters can act as a security. Or you have the option of leaving the windows open and puting down the shutters. These windows also come with a fine mesh to keep flying insects out.

We also had airconditioning but only needed to use it in the late evening and during the night.

Guest Team 'W'

All the major profiles are tested in the Arizona desert and so are tested to extreme temperature fluctuations. The expansion is controlled by the reinforcing that goes into the middle of the section so wouldnt be a problem. Woodgrains need full reinforcing as they are 'dark' colours and therefore absorb heat easier than white which reflects a certain amount of the heat away.

Titanium Dioxide controlls the UV and profile supplied into Oz has up to 9 parts which is the highest ratio available. Pvc had a bad start out there many years ago, but the European systems have since moved in and are at last starting to make an impact. Pvc has only 2-3% market share at present but because of Australias commitment to Co2 reduction (around 30% of wasted co2 is from homes), this has created demand for more energy efficient products i.e. pvc. Hence people like myself are moving in to Australia to start up manufacturing companies as research shows it will grow rapidly over the coming years.

sorry to be an anorak on this one and hope it clears some of the confusion...................:wacko:

Guest guest569

When you talk about double glazing its not always upvc either. Doulbe glazed units could be in a hardwood or ally frame aswell. Remember back in the 80's people stopped using the ally system as it caused condensation problems. I don't think that would be an issue here in sa .Who knows what the future will bring when Adelaide catches up with the rest of the world ???:biglaugh:

if they swell up and can't be opened in the summer then thats a good thing to keep your aircon working efficiently !!! :biglaugh:

and the flies out !!!!

Aah, but lots of people have evap aircon so need to have the windows OPEN!

On the other side, one thing I noticed in my recent 18-months stint back in the UK was how many spiders and flies get into the house. Now how about fly screens and doors for the UK to make your first million?

If global warming could be persuaded to get a move on, maybe the next million could come from putting split system aircon in the sitting rooms of the UK.

Drat, I should have kept these ideas to myself!

Finally, windbreaks for Adelaide beaches would surely sell like hot cakes. How many 27 degree spring-summer days are spoiled by the breeze blowing sand in your face and sandwiches!

Guest leppingtons

double glazed units are starting to be used . However i feel the locals need some education on the benefits before they will accept the system. Also the replacement market would be limited because of the mentality of the Australians. They dont like spending money on home improvements. Barbies yes but windows ..mmmmm. i see a problem.