telecommunications jobs

Guest tiger fan

Guest tiger fan

hi there, just joined pia and looking forward to getting to know people. we've already activated our visas but are unable to move out to adelaide until after 1st september.(daughter is getting married and would kill us if we moved before then!!!!) my husband is an engineer with bt and is hoping to find work in the same field.does anyone know the best contractor to contact or how to get on to telstra's books?

Guest Aussiebound

Welcome to the site. Daughter could have got married a bit sooner - must be awful having visa and not being able to go.

Hope the wedding goes well!

Guest tiger fan

its true!!! between putting the house on the market and organising a wedding i dont have a moment to think. have pictures of adelaide to look at and know its all going to be worth while.

Guest dglamoore

Hi and welcome to PIA :) Hope everything goes smoothly with your daughters wedding and it is worth the wait to get over here ;)

With work you will probably find it easier to contact people once here as many are not willing to deal with you while in the uk as we found out :o

Lisa:cool:

Guest tiger fan

thanks to all of you for the welcome.we are really looking forward to the wedding.(although neither of us is really old enough to have children old enough to get married):rolleyes: cant wait to be on the plan for a new life!!!!!

• 2 months later...
Guest clash123

hi there ,read your thread about hubby being an engineer with bt ,me and my partner have just started the process ourselves and i am also an engineer with bt ,so if you recieve any info that might be of use ,please let me know and i will do likewise

scott

Hi there

My partner and myself used to work for BT. My OH as an engineer and myself clerical - it is due to us both getting release that we are here! My OH was accepted on the SIR visa and sponsered by SA. They are looking at over the next couple of years enhancing the network and will then need the skilled engineers. At present though my OH has only managed to get sub contractor work (having to start his own business) to stay in the field - some other engineers are having to do the same as Telstra are not taking on new employees in the field at present. It was difficult to begin with but now he has settled and enjoying the work (which there is a lot of). So it may mean others having to do that to begin with, but will be worth it in the end.

Good luck with visas and move

Guest clash123

hi devon thanx for the reply ,was wondering what sa is ? regarding your sponser???

Hi there

My partner and myself used to work for BT. My OH as an engineer and myself clerical - it is due to us both getting release that we are here! My OH was accepted on the SIR visa and sponsered by SA. They are looking at over the next couple of years enhancing the network and will then need the skilled engineers. At present though my OH has only managed to get sub contractor work (having to start his own business) to stay in the field - some other engineers are having to do the same as Telstra are not taking on new employees in the field at present. It was difficult to begin with but now he has settled and enjoying the work (which there is a lot of). So it may mean others having to do that to begin with, but will be worth it in the end.

Good luck with visas and move

Guest clash123

,not had much info so far ,seems that you need to be out there before anybody will look at you ,will keep u posted if i hear owt that is helpful

Hi If you get any info please let me no as I am also a bt engineer and will be looking for work telstra or contracting well thanks and good look

Hi there. Sorry SA means South Australia. When visa was submitted it was South Australia who came back as a sponsor on the SIR visa. When we got here though it took a long time to find work as Telstra don't seem to be taking on in this part of the country at least (think the same as BT they are actually laying off some engineers) They seem to be contracting work out. The first step when you get here is to get your Australian cablers license as most contractors won't take on without that. A lot of the work is then subcontracted out which means you may have to be self employed. It is better to look when you get here but looking around a couple of contractors that seem to be taking on are Service Stream (although don't quote me on that and not sure what they're like)! Just trying to give you a start. Here's wishing you the best of luck and hope this is of some help.

There are a few training companies in Adelaide. The one my OH used was Milcom (e-mail training@milcom.com.au) He did a two week course so not sure how much time was actually on the Australian cablers license side. He did the whole course for the license, cabling, routing etc (although the latter means something else here)!!!!!! The license is a must, however he decided to do the whole course as his qualifications were not recognised here from his BT days. The course was shorter than having to totally train for the job due to knowledge of the work. Think it's just really to teach the rules and regulations here for installations, as there were quite a few differences. The course cost approx $2000.00 so again not sure the breakdown of that for the cost of the license. Hope this makes sense as just woken up and trying to give you the info without waffling!!!! Good luck

Guest clash123

hi devon ,thanx again for the info ,please keep it coming if you think it might be relevent, scott

There are a few training companies in Adelaide. The one my OH used was Milcom (e-mail training@milcom.com.au) He did a two week course so not sure how much time was actually on the Australian cablers license side. He did the whole course for the license, cabling, routing etc (although the latter means something else here)!!!!!! The license is a must, however he decided to do the whole course as his qualifications were not recognised here from his BT days. The course was shorter than having to totally train for the job due to knowledge of the work. Think it's just really to teach the rules and regulations here for installations, as there were quite a few differences. The course cost approx $2000.00 so again not sure the breakdown of that for the cost of the license. Hope this makes sense as just woken up and trying to give you the info without waffling!!!! Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Clash 123, been looking and another website for all jobs including telecommunications is www.byron.com.au there seem to be a few jobs out there but for SA there looks about 30 jobs when you go into them though they may not be relevant for one reason or another as quite general. Have also found out that Foxtel (Sky equivalent here) sub contract to various companies one being called Downer Engineering (now I am not recommending anything just giving you some pointers)! This would mean that you would need your cablers license etc but also become a pty (Ltd) company - think this can be quite straight forward if you get a good accountant. You would also obviously need to get your own van and tools - again not trying to teach granny to suck eggs but not sure how much you know! - not obviously sure of your finances (and obviously don't want to) but understand that after the outlay for all of that the money can be quite rewarding if you are up for the hard work - not sure what other courses are required as things are quite different here for engineers as different requirements and restrictions on working - ie working on internal walls etc

Anyway just something for you to look at and not sure what jobs are actually available now or when you are looking at arriving - just pointers - again if any information is incorrect I apologise but the people I have spoken to seem to be in the know - could be a start anyway

Good luck and have fun

Guest clash123

hiya devon ,thanx for the info .and dont worry about teaching granny to suck eggs ,cos at the moment apart from what people like urself are telling me ,im a complete duffer about whats what down under ,so please keep sending any info that you think might be relevant ,it all helps . we,ve just applied for the visa,and it appears that it should,nt be any problem getting in ,so i,ll keep you informed and if ur o/half finds himself needing any help with his business ,you know where to come

talk soon

scott

Hi Scott, glad am being of some help. Will definately keep you posted with anything I hear/find out or see that may be of use to you! The best of luck with your visa, hope it all goes smoothly. Will be good to hear how you're getting on and if there is anything we can help you with then obviously we will try.

Cathy

• 2 months later...
Guest clash123

Hi cathy

was looking for an update on the work situation for telecomms out there ? i.e hows your o/h doing ? is there still plenty of work ? and also is fibre an essential ticket to have to stay in the trade ?

been searching for what seems like ages and altho there seems to be work out there , the aussies seem to have loads of diffrent names for the same jobs

just looking for a bit of reassurance i think ... any info would be much appriciated

cheers

scott

Guest cunnah10

Hi we are a family of 6 (4 kids) hoping to arrive in Adelaide middle of 2008.My husband has been a Telecom Engineer(BT) also for the last 20 years also hoping to get some work in this field but the feedback we have had back so far is that Telecom Engineers are NOT in demand!Which is disheartening but we will just have to look into other options once there.So hard to sort anything while still in UK.Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Guest cunnah10

Hi We hope to arrive in Adelaide middle of 2008!Family of 6 (4kids).My hubby has been a Telecom Engineer(BT) for the last 20 years but although he gained the full 60 points for this occupation we have since realized that Telecom Engineers are NOT in demand at present.Bit disheartening but with 4 littleuns to feed we will just have to look into other options once we get there as so difficult to do anything from the UK.

Good luck with everything and let us now how you get on!

Gill

Guest clash123

hi gill

where did you get your feedback from ??

i,ve been quite encouraged by what i,ve heard , i think you need to be out there before anyone will offer you a job ,but i think the work is there . i,ll keep you informed of anything i hear ,we,re hoping to be out there about the same time so who knows ,might see you there

scott

Hi We hope to arrive in Adelaide middle of 2008!Family of 6 (4kids).My hubby has been a Telecom Engineer(BT) for the last 20 years but although he gained the full 60 points for this occupation we have since realized that Telecom Engineers are NOT in demand at present.Bit disheartening but with 4 littleuns to feed we will just have to look into other options once we get there as so difficult to do anything from the UK.

Good luck with everything and let us now how you get on!

Gill

Guest Leanne & Mark

Mark is a Regional Manager for BT structured cabling, so we are looking for the same type of work, only more Fibre and Data. i can't see that there wouldn't be work with all the building thats going on.

If everything from labourers to roofers are needed, then surely they need the pnones and data cables sorted too !?.......won't they ?? :wacko: