Visa - Electrician Special class

Guest Archers

Guest Archers

Just applied for a visa as an Electrician special class. Is there much work about, what sort of salary levels can i expect. I have various qualifications HND and NVQ4. will i need to take a test in OZ?

Any advice greatly appreciated. cheers stuart:unsure:

Guest tooeasy

hi there is quite a lot of work about here in adelaide i am a sparky been here nearly 10 months and not been out of work since i been here

you are doing vettasses i presume which means when you get here you need to get a job then do a course at tafe or peer then once you have completed the course and ben working for a year you can get your 'A' class licence this is the new way they have brought in

If you have done it the old tra way then all you have to do is complete your artc form and do the wiring regs course at tafe or peer and then you can apply for your licence

hope this helps

:D

Guest njacinthebox

In our experience we have found there is NOT alot of work for electricians. We have been out here for 7 months and my husband who is an 'A Class' Electrician, done the whole TRA thing 5 years ago went to Tafe in Sydney, holds a SA electrical licence has not found work. He has not stopped looking for work and has exhausted every option. He has listed with agencies, asked around, phoned people out of the papers and phone directory looked online ( I could go on and on) but I wont bore you. However I just wanted to tell you what we have found. We have seen work in the North and he phoned up about that the other day and was told 2 other sparks from Hallet Cove have already applied were told we live too far away not to bother!!

Good luck, we try to be honest with what we have found.

Phoned agencies in the UK near to where we used to live appears to be lots of work so thats where we are going cant live on sunshine and fresh air alone. All the best.

Guest tooeasy

i was speaking from my experience every job i have applied for i have got 5 in total i am starting a new job a week on monday handing my notice in tomorrow there is always jobs in the paper granted not as many as when we 1st got here but still a few

Guest njacinthebox

Lucky you ! Seems and awful lot of jobs in 10mths though. My husband doesnt even get as far as the interview to find out if he would get the job, strange that ! Perhaps its cos we got permanent residency. We think its bizarre !!

he didnt take the 5 jobs thats whats been offered to him since we arrived, he has been working for the one employer for the last 10 months, 4 of those job offers came in first week he was applying and the 5th one was offered to him this week. maybe hes just been lucky who knows why one seems to get work thrown at em yet not others.

Guest tooeasy

as dawn said i applied for 4 jobs when we arrived got offered all of them then worked for my current employer for 9 months and i just applied for another job and got it and start a week monday

we also have permenant residency too dunno maybee i am just lucky

Guest njacinthebox

Oh well, I am glad its all good for you and I hope anyone coming out here also finds it good for them too. Just think people should know both sides, is always important that people have all the facts (both sides) and make their own minds up. I have nothing to gain personally out of puttng our experiences on this forum, just thought it might be helpful. Doesnt really affect us anymore because we wont be here much longer having to worry about it every day!

Good luck to you all we wish all good luck in the future .

Guest Archers

Although I am applying as electrician special cass, my experience is high speed packaging machinery. In the UK i am industrially qualified upto 1000v but do not have residential qualificatins..Do I still need to do the wiring regs course in oz or do they have a similar split system. cheers stuart

Guest njacinthebox

Hi, yes my husband has done all that, he used to work for express dairies in the uk. He has in recent years been more on the industrial side rather than installation work which he did when he was a younger sparks. He said that sort of work is all north, he went for a job but was told he couldnt go for it because we live too far south. I hope this helps.

Guest tooeasy

to do any sort of electrical work you need a licence so yes you do need to do the wiring regs course but if you do it at peer it is only a 5 week course and you can do correspondance if you like too and just go in for 1 lesson and then the exam :)

• 1 year later...
Guest Lion_sa

Hi

Hope somone can dierect me in the right direction.

I have just got back my TRA and I quilify as a Electrician special class. now when I apply for my ARTC, do I apply as a Electrician Mechanic ? as i see on the drop down menu in the application, there is no special class ?

Please and thank you.

Hi

Hope somone can dierect me in the right direction.

I have just got back my TRA and I quilify as a Electrician special class. now when I apply for my ARTC, do I apply as a Electrician Mechanic ? as i see on the drop down menu in the application, there is no special class ?

Please and thank you.

Yes just tick the box for electrical mechanic, electrical mechanic is as good as it gets. BTW there is no such thing as an "A" class licence anymore its called ELECTRICAL WORKER: can perform any electrical work.

Guest Lion_sa

Ah Thank youf or your help. Electrical Mechanic it is then :)

Also thank youf ro the update of the A- Class license.

I am still trying to get my hands on now the Regulation books that I have to sudy for to do the Wire Regs course in Adelaide.

I have the one, AS/NZS 3000:2007 with amendment 1. But I believe I need another 3 !! books. gee wiz. so much to learn compared to the 17th edition I did here in the UK.

Any ways.

Thank you again