jobs jobs jobs !!!

Guest anna niks

Guest anna niks

i have been in adelaide since november and finally got our 475 visa's a few weeks ago , i have been looking for part time work but don't seem to be having any luck ,( so if any one can help i would be really greatful,) i'v signed up on all the job sites and walked around for hours handing out resumes,i need to work around the kids school hours which is not helping (mum and dad are not round the corner any more LOL). i have been looking for shop assistant, call centres, cleaner any thing !!!!!

does any one else have this problem or is it just me :wacko:, my husband didn't have a problem he found a job straight away , but then he has a trade .

i would love to hear from any one else in my position so i know its not just me !!! lol

anna

Hi Anna, just to let you know, it's not just you, you are part of a majority.

I came here looking for dietetics assistant jobs and have now ended up as a cleaner a year on.

I'm not bitter about it, it's just the way things are here. I'm pretty sure something will come up for you.

Have you tried pam's domestics, absolute domestic, these are cleaning companies who give you a basic hourly rate (very basic roughly $17 per hour) but the way I see it is it's better than nothing and you can work around school hours too on the days that you want.

I have one of their numbers if you want to pm me.

Good luck x

Mcdonalds is the only place I know that offer term time/ school hours. Friend of mine works there term time only 10 - 3 I think. $18 an hour casual , but hard work from what I can gather.

Australia seem to have never heard of job shares or family friendly workin hours. One of the few drawbacks of being 20 years behind the rest of the world

i have been in adelaide since november and finally got our 475 visa's a few weeks ago , i have been looking for part time work but don't seem to be having any luck ,( so if any one can help i would be really greatful,) i'v signed up on all the job sites and walked around for hours handing out resumes,i need to work around the kids school hours which is not helping (mum and dad are not round the corner any more LOL). i have been looking for shop assistant, call centres, cleaner any thing !!!!!

does any one else have this problem or is it just me :wacko:, my husband didn't have a problem he found a job straight away , but then he has a trade .

i would love to hear from any one else in my position so i know its not just me !!! lol

anna

Hi Anna,

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble finding work - as you can see from the replies already, you are not alone. I'm not sure if you saw my previous thread regarding the difficulties of getting work on a temporary/provisional visa, but I went to see an MP nearly two weeks ago with a list of issues including this. He will get back to me by this Wednesday and I will post the response. I have not heard any positive words about a job agency in six months, buts lot of people have been able to find work regardless. Keep looking in the windows of businesses, looking in the Advertiser and on line with Careerone. Best of luck.

Finding jobs to fit in with school hours is very hard. It's what some of us ideally want....but unfortunately they are scarce.

After nearly 3 years, I finally got a job that fits in with school hours...i work 9.15am till 2.45pm, 3 days a week.

But even with this, I still have to worry about care during the school hols...........so this is something to bear in mind when you finally do get that 'school hours job'.

For most of the previous 3 years, I worked through agencies. I always managed to get part-time work in admin.......normally around 2/3 whole days a week or part-time hours that didnt fit in with school hours...e.g. 10-4pm etc........but i stuck with it...gained some australian work experience. I used a great child care centre for my son....and on some occasions (if i couldnt start once i took the kids to school) used before school care.

I was lucky that my husband was home from work in time to collect the kids from school.

My advice to everyone is to take what you can get....even if it means using care for yr kids in the short term. The more experience you get....the more doors it opens....you can bargain a bit more....

Good luck...it isnt easy!

Guest Lisa & Kevin

Hi

Thanks for posting the above threads :)

We are hopefully planning to come over later in the year and finding a job is the only thing that is starting to worry me :sad: you have between you helped to lighten the pressure. Thanks again. Lisa x

Hi,

As many people we are really concern about the availability of work in Oz. Are you noticing a decline in jobs being advertised and just a general down turn ?

We will be applying for a 176 visa, will this make it easier to find work seeing that it is a permanent visa ?

I’ve heard about a number of people being made redundant after just being with a company for a few months, this is after the company paid for them to come over. I know the economic down turn is hitting everywhere and one must realise times are not easy.

I would like to thank all the honest comments, even if it’s not good – I would rather know what we in for.

We are still in the early stages of the process, submitted the vetassess and booked a reccie for April. I’m now thinking is this a good move in these uncertain times, but on the other hand it’s now or never and there is never a good time.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Lindi (32), Byron (35) and Kieran(19months)

Guest caoimhe

Well I just got a part time job, Monday to Wednesday 09.30 to 14.30. I only work when the kids are at school so therefore do not not get paid any holiday or sick pay but as we are on a temp visa and get no help towards childcare this suits but I only got the job as it was with a friend of my aunts!!!!!!

I know this is not neccessarily a help to you but talk to any one you meet and let them know you are looking as I think its through recommendations that get the jobs here

I work for Westpac in the Telephone banking and work 0930-1430 Tuesday to Saturday, not sure if they offer Mon-Fri though because I wanted Tues-Sat, the hourly rates not bad and I know they are always looking for people. You would need to put kids in vacation care in school hols but I think you'd be hard pushed to find something that you get all school hols off.

Good luck

Jackie

I work for Westpac in the Telephone banking and work 0930-1430 Tuesday to Saturday, not sure if they offer Mon-Fri though because I wanted Tues-Sat, the hourly rates not bad and I know they are always looking for people. You would need to put kids in vacation care in school hols but I think you'd be hard pushed to find something that you get all school hols off.

Good luck

Jackie

Hi Jackie,

the only problem with westpac is they only take certain visa types, I went through Hudsons or was it Hays agency can't quite remember now, passed online/telephone interviews and was then asked at the end what visa I was on. When I told them it was a 496 temp, they weren't interested, said westpac have strict instructions on what visa is acceptable to them.

They take 495's, when I explained 496 is the exact same criteria, only difference being we are family sponsored, it made no difference to them at all.....so thanks but no thanks.

Good info though, the visa others are on may be lucky enough to be the ones they accept, so good luck to all on that one. I just see it as it wasn't meant to be.

Cx

I have a part time job at the moment, 3 days per week but I got it by being in the right place at the right time!!! I organised some voluntary work here from the UK and someone handed their notice in the day I arrived and they offered it to me. Still need a perm job for the PR part of the visa but at least it is money coming in for the moment.

Just an idea to get you into organisations, get some work experience here and a reference, and then you will be the first person to know when jobs come up.

Is the 475 visa a temp visa?? I'm not at work today because my Luke's sick but I will check if they accept 475 visa tomorrow, just for future ref.

Jackie

I just seen your name on the thread again and was about to ask why you weren't at work, but you beat me to it.

Hope Luke is okay, Andrea came home the last couple of days saying she felt really sick too, hope it doesn't spread.

Ps check gary's emails, kerry has sent info re the cove u8's x

Guest anna niks
Is the 475 visa a temp visa?? I'm not at work today because my Luke's sick but I will check if they accept 475 visa tomorrow, just for future ref.

Jackie[/quote

hi jakie , yes a 475 is a three year working visa , after two years you can apply for residency if you have worked for two out of the three years , as we will do , i think most places take on people with this visa but not sure every one does though.

hope your sone gets better soon , my little girl had the same thing last week , only lasted a day or two , must be something going around .

anna x

Hi Anna tryed to reply to your thread this morning, I see you'll be happy even to find a cleaning Job, Last week I phoned up a company called Hendercare 088100 8855 looking for Healthcare work during school hours, well they came back to me with Domestic Assistant work that fits really nicely during school hours, the pay is not bad you go into elderly people or disabled people's home and do a bit of hoovering maybe hang out home clothes clean the loo nothing we don't do in our own homes you don't need to be qualified in anything, and the uniform is deducted from your wages over a number of weeks, you decide when you want to work what hours it sounds great, they have a web site to look at which you can send your resume.

Hope this helps

Julie

Oh by the way got the Job had my induction yesterday signed my contract of work and today I've just had my first client.....

Guest anna niks

hi julie

thanks for your reply , sounds great ,i'll give them a look in a mo , most of these companies you are not actually taken on the cards , is this the same or are you part time perminent ? i should have said before i need to be taken on as part time perminent , thanks again ,

anna x

Hi the Job I've got is casual so I don't have to work (ie school holiday's) when I don't want to its what's attracted me to the Job, also they do all your weekly payed and they sort out your taxes so your not self employed

Good luck in whatever you decide, oh by the way I was offered the Job before they looked at my passport to see what type of visa. They have some big contracts so are employing like crazy.

Good luck again

Julie

sorry just read your note again, my contract does not expire so yes its like permanent but you don't get the bennifits of holiday pay or sick pay. But you are insured if you get injured while your working. Lots of Australian take on a few of these agencies so they get lots of work, but I've just been assigned 3 clients now and thats in one day.

anyway goodluck in whatever you decide.

Julie