Any job, doing anything! Begging, on my knees!!!

Guest Deb17

Guest Deb17

Right, biting the bullet time now, because I am DESPERATE!

Yes, for those of you who remember me, I still do not have a job, almost 3 years into our nightmare trip to Adelaide! And I know I promised never to post on this site EVER AGAIN! BUT...for all you jolly, happy people out there, the story is...

We were granted PERMANENT visas last week, but with hubby losing his job on New Year's Eve and only having 3 weeks' work in the last 2 months we are scraping the barrel of our savings. We have NOTHING left to live on and children to feed, so...

Is there anyone out there who knows of a job I could do?

Was teacher in the UK, but done bu88er all out here...have sent my CV off a hundred times, applied for about five hundred positions thru Careerone, Seek etc. and NOTHING! I have no experience of doing anything except teaching and general office work, and was hoping to re-train, but can't actually afford the time now, to do it! I need something with 'on the job' training and I need it fast! Or it's a case of selling my car to make ends meet, and then I'm really stuffed, 'cos I won't actually have a car to get me to any job!

Will consider practically anything, give me a go! (I did think of going on the game, but don't think I'd earn much that way, not at my age!)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sarah_clancy

Thats really sad Deb :o(

This is why mum and dad went back....

My partner lost his job a few weeks ago, it's not easy, or to find work either.

I say go ur last option... haha the game, that would be interesting!

Chin up...x

sarah

Guest BAZnDAF

That sounds really bad, so sorry your in that situation, we are not even over there yet, and stories like yours do worry me.

I do hope you find something, and soon too.

Barry.

Guest caoimhe

Hi Deb, you must be extremly fraustrated, I must admit that is my biggest worry here, can we make ends meet?

After having my kids at home I went back to study as an Accounting Technician and done SAGE computerized accounting which they don't use here, so I am now doing a MYOB computerized accounting course through home study with The Accounting College. It cost about $400 for the 3 parts of the course and to be honest it's not rocket science and there does seem to be lots of jobs out there for 'bookkeepers'. Every company needs a finance department!!! Here is the web page and it will cost nothing to have a look

http://www.accountingcollege.com.au/

Good luck with no matter what you decide and I hope things work out for you

The suggestion for Big W is a good one. My suggestions:

-Recruitment agencies, if you haven't already gone that route. Take a day in the city, dress up as if you were going for an interview, bring plenty of copies of your resume, and hit every recruitment agency you can. Don't be satisfied with leaving your resume. Tell them you would like to register and ask to speak with a recruiter. Make sure you do your computer testing, email thank yous when you get home, and call them every Friday to remind them of your existence.

-Hospitality jobs

Seek.com has a section for the above, and there are often jobs, even if they are only for a few days at a time. For example, Clipsal was hiring for next weekend.

-Hotels

Jobs would be advertisded with the above on seek, but also do walk ins to every hotel, and ask if they have any positions open, even in housekeeping and kitchen areas. It may not be glamourous, but any experience in Adelaide is helpful, and minimum wage isn't bad.

Yes, for those of you who remember me, I still do not have a job, almost 3 years into our nightmare trip to Adelaide! And I know I promised never to post on this site EVER AGAIN! BUT...for all you jolly, happy people out there, the story is...

We were granted PERMANENT visas last week, but with hubby losing his job on New Year's Eve and only having 3 weeks' work in the last 2 months we are scraping the barrel of our savings. We have NOTHING left to live on and children to feed, so...

Was teacher in the UK, but done bu88er all out here...have sent my CV off a hundred times, applied for about five hundred positions thru Careerone, Seek etc. and NOTHING! I have no experience of doing anything except teaching and general office work, and was hoping to re-train, but can't actually afford the time now, to do it! I need something with 'on the job' training and I need it fast! Or it's a case of selling my car to make ends meet, and then I'm really stuffed, 'cos I won't actually have a car to get me to any job!

Will consider practically anything, give me a go! (I did think of going on the game, but don't think I'd earn much that way, not at my age!)

Hi Deb,

long time no hear....this may seem really weird, but I was thinking about you the other day and wondering how things had been for you.

Congratulations on getting your PR, thats brill....I do know a tiny bit of what you are going through....I came here as a Nutritionist/dietetics assistant and I am now a cleaner.

I don't get great money, but it's better than nothing, I am working school hours too, which is a great bonus. PM me and I will give you more information on it, it could be something that will help at the moment until something better comes along, or you may find that it suits you with the hours.

Cx

Hi Debs, great to see you back and congratulations on your Permanent Residency.

My hubby lost his job last week but within 48 hours he had got another one so it's not all doom and gloom in this global recession. He is a Lecturer. As you have the teaching ability, have you thought about getting your Certificate IV in Training and Assessment and going into lecturing rather than teaching??

Hi Deb,

Blue Dolphin Swim Centre at Happy Valley is looking for a Receptionist and a Swimming Instructor ( no experience needed - training to be given).

Apply in writing before 14th March to

Blue Dolphin Swim Centre

184 Chandlers Hill Road

Happy Valley

Sa 5159

Phone 8322 6566

My daughter has swimming lessons there and they sent out an email yesterday advertising the above jobs. Might be worth a go especially as no experience needed.

Good Luck.

Guest cornish Busdriver

G'day Debs.

Have you or hubby looked at bus driving, yes the hours are not family friendly but the wadges for the hours arnt that bead either.

I take home on average $750 per week.

Or have you looked at becoming a copper, if your under 48 and semi fit with basic computer skills thats all it needs.

Matt.

Christies beach

Guest Deb17

Who do I apply to for bus driving? Do they actually train you up for this job, so you can get your bus licence? I drove a 16 seater minibus back home, don't think I have the licence to even drive something that big out here.

I am pretty disgusted actually with the Australian system, that a bus driver can take home so much more money than my husband does for working in what's meant to be a 'skilled' trade that cost him so much dosh to qualify for! Obviously this is not your fault, so don't think I'm getting at you. It's just Australia! Everything's upside down!

Guest caoimhe
I am pretty disgusted actually with the Australian system, that a bus driver can take home so much more money than my husband does for working in what's meant to be a 'skilled' trade that cost him so much dosh to qualify for! Obviously this is not your fault, so don't think I'm getting at you. It's just Australia! Everything's upside down!

I know how you feel, my O/H is in IT and is earning here what he started on at home.....9 years ago. And yes it's less than a busdriver:arghh:

Guest Kazzarazza
Who do I apply to for bus driving? Do they actually train you up for this job, so you can get your bus licence? I drove a 16 seater minibus back home, don't think I have the licence to even drive something that big out here.

Maybe it's just me but that's one of the things I love about Australia.

There is no class distinction as such. No one struts around saying they are so much better than the next person just because they are a lawyer or an accountant or whatever. Why shouldn't a bus driver, or any body else etc, get well paid. There job is important to them and to others. They work anti-social hours and I'm sure have to cop their fair share of anti-social behaviour. My step-son worked next to a foundry for 12 hour shifts during the heat wave - 69 degrees all day long. I wouldn't be-grudge him one cent of what he earns.

Australia has been built, in a relatively short space of time, by hard working people and it rewards it's tradies and other workers. It does not take too kindly to people who say "look at me, look at me - I was this, that or the other in a former life." Be fair to Australia and it will reward you, in return, 10-fold.

Hi Deb, you must be extremly fraustrated, I must admit that is my biggest worry here, can we make ends meet?

After having my kids at home I went back to study as an Accounting Technician and done SAGE computerized accounting which they don't use here, so I am now doing a MYOB computerized accounting course through home study with The Accounting College. It cost about $400 for the 3 parts of the course and to be honest it's not rocket science and there does seem to be lots of jobs out there for 'bookkeepers'. Every company needs a finance department!!! Here is the web page and it will cost nothing to have a look

http://www.accountingcollege.com.au/

Good luck with no matter what you decide and I hope things work out for you

If you are considering doing MYOB, have a look at the WEA - http://www.wea-sa.com.au/search_results.php - as their courses are excellent and seem to be a bit cheaper than the Accounting College. You may even be able to get concessionary rates so you'd be looking at something like $176 for the course. I did a two day course there on MYOB and it was what made the difference when I was looking for a job. I did as much temping as possible beforehand, and kept in touch with the places I'd worked at, keeping them posted about my new "skills".

I really wish you luck and hope you find something soon.

Diane

Firstly Deb congratulations ! I admire you for sticking with it & getting PR, it certainly sounds likes its been a difficult time work wise.

I was going to suggest Centrelink, surely with PR you must be entitled to some kind of tax 'top up' / 'low income'. Worth asking if nothing else.

Stay positive, something will come up.

Guest Jo&Phil

Eek poor you, that doesn't sound much fun.

First of all --- what did you teach? Is it anything that can transfer to adult education because if it does there are hundreds of RTOs (registered training organisations) that might offer you temporary or casual work at quite a good rate of pay. Better than pulling pints anyway. I work for an RTO and even though it's mid semester, stuff happens, staff get sick etc and people need hourly paid staff.

If you let me know what you teach I can probably think of RTOs who might be good bets - nothing guaranteed but at least some of the research will be done.

Secondly --- have you got your CV/Resume together --- stress transferrable skills gained both in workforce and at home --- and spend a day going round the Employment / Recruitment agencies ... including those that do labour hire. Yellow pages wil list them. I've also done some work for recruitment firms and their jobs go to people on their books who they've met and made some sort of connection with ... the old 'networking' thingy

Thirdly --- can you register as a teacher here? There are casual teaching vacancies that might tide you over though more likely to come up before term 2 (after Easter) etc?

Good luck!

Guest cornish Busdriver

Hiya Deb.

I work for torrens transit at morphetville but they have depots all over the place.

They train you from start to finish and pay you minimum $400 per week take home whilst training.

Only criteria you will need is: Calmness (no road rage) a clean police record, Full drivers licence, PR visa and pass a medical. Oh yeah and be able to have a laugh plus a crazy soh helps as well.

You get 3 attemts at your test that also qualifies you to drive artics (big trucks) and the test is realy easy compared to the Uk drivers test.

Training takes about 4 weeks start to finish and then your on full pay.

There is a lot of split shifts e.g. 0700 start to 09.00 and then about 3pm to 6 or 7 pm.

Yes only roughly 6 to 7 hrs a day. weekend are optional but a shed load more money.

Average saturday pay around $220.00 to $270.00 and sundays around $300 to $330 per day and more for working public holidays, however you might only get one saturday or sunday a forfnight as theres a roster which you would be in.

You would also be rosterd once and a while to do a few late shifts but you get the higher rate pay for that as well.

Over all its not a bad job but can be frustrating and testing at times when your stuck on currie street for 30 minutes.

If you or any one wants to know more heres the website address http://www.swantransit.com.au/tt/default.asp or just e-mail me at m.crocker@optusnet.com.au or call me on 0424258750 and ill will see if i can answer any of you questions.

Matt

Christies Beach

Guest Deb17

Right, let me run down the list of options.

The bus driving one yes, I will apply to that...if Kazzarazza thinks I am too proud or whatever at this stage, he/she should see the state of my food cupboard! :arghh: I am not a snob who boasted about her past in the UK. I was a very humble classroom teacher, not a big shot! I do not begrudge anyone a good wage for working hard, and would like the opportunity to work hard myself, but this town has a lot more opportunities for men than it does for women.

And that's a fact, it seems to me, after so many months of scouring the job ads.

Erm...the Big W suggestion. I have had my CV with Woolworths, Big W, K Mart, Coles, Bunnings, everyone I can think of. I went back to the Big W site yesterday, clicked on applying for jobs at the new Hallett Cove store and the job has been removed, so obviously positions have been snapped up.

Re: Jo and Phil...I am actually registered as a teacher, but I'm a Primary School Teacher, hence no job! I've tried TRT work, it doesn't work for me! I get called at a time that wakes my husband up (he's a shift worker!) or it's too short notice (I also have my own kids to get to school.) Plus, it's not regular hours or a regular wage which is no good in the long term! Obviously being Primary trained doesn't help you get a job in training, lecturing or youth work, all options I have already looked at, but couldn't afford the training (and now I can't afford the time! Time has run out!) I have basically left all ideas of teaching behind now and am trying to fit myself into whatever job is going!

Yes, I do have my CV up to date, stressing transferable skills etc. But it seems to be really hard to convince employers that handling 30 argumentative kids at a time is comparable with running a reception desk or doing admin work.

As for Centrelink...well no, we are not eligible for income top up, emergency payments etc. Having just been made permanent residents we are not entitled to unemployment or any other supplements to income for another 2 years because of 'statutory qualifying periods'. Basically you are here for four years before you can claim anything like that, although we have a claim in for family tax benefit, at last; the equivalent of child benefit.

Thank you for all comments and suggestions.

But the comment about Australia rewarding us 10 fold does grate a bit after almost 3 years of crap at the hands of the state government who told us we could not buy a house or get a permanent visa unless one of us was in a 'skilled' job, hence my husband wasting 13000 dollars of our savings re-training...he could just as well have stayed working in a sandwich bar and saved the money!

Australia has given me nothing so far, all it has done is take. I appreciate that experiences are different for all of us, and I came here full of hope and with an open mind, completely prepared to take up another career, only to find that Australian employers are not as open-minded as the ones at 'home'.

Guest Kazzarazza
Right, let me run down the list of options.

The bus driving one yes, I will apply to that...if Kazzarazza thinks I am too proud or whatever at this stage, he/she should see the state of my food cupboard! :arghh: I am not a snob who boasted about her past in the UK. I was a very humble classroom teacher, not a big shot! I do not begrudge anyone a good wage for working hard, and would like the opportunity to work hard myself, but this town has a lot more opportunities for men than it does for women.

And that's a fact, it seems to me, after so many months of scouring the job ads.

Erm...the Big W suggestion. I have had my CV with Woolworths, Big W, K Mart, Coles, Bunnings, everyone I can think of. I went back to the Big W site yesterday, clicked on applying for jobs at the new Hallett Cove store and the job has been removed, so obviously positions have been snapped up.

Re: Jo and Phil...I am actually registered as a teacher, but I'm a Primary School Teacher, hence no job! I've tried TRT work, it doesn't work for me! I get called at a time that wakes my husband up (he's a shift worker!) or it's too short notice (I also have my own kids to get to school.) Plus, it's not regular hours or a regular wage which is no good in the long term! Obviously being Primary trained doesn't help you get a job in training, lecturing or youth work, all options I have already looked at, but couldn't afford the training (and now I can't afford the time! Time has run out!) I have basically left all ideas of teaching behind now and am trying to fit myself into whatever job is going!

Yes, I do have my CV up to date, stressing transferable skills etc. But it seems to be really hard to convince employers that handling 30 argumentative kids at a time is comparable with running a reception desk or doing admin work.

As for Centrelink...well no, we are not eligible for income top up, emergency payments etc. Having just been made permanent residents we are not entitled to unemployment or any other supplements to income for another 2 years because of 'statutory qualifying periods'. Basically you are here for four years before you can claim anything like that, although we have a claim in for family tax benefit, at last; the equivalent of child benefit.

Thank you for all comments and suggestions.

But the comment about Australia rewarding us 10 fold does grate a bit after almost 3 years of crap at the hands of the state government who told us we could not buy a house or get a permanent visa unless one of us was in a 'skilled' job, hence my husband wasting 13000 dollars of our savings re-training...he could just as well have stayed working in a sandwich bar and saved the money!

Australia has given me nothing so far, all it has done is take. I appreciate that experiences are different for all of us, and I came here full of hope and with an open mind, completely prepared to take up another career, only to find that Australian employers are not as open-minded as the ones at 'home'.

Hi Deb

Nowhere in my post did I imply that I thought you personally were a snob or too proud. I was making a general comparison between the attitude to workers and career choices in the UK vs Australia. I took exception to your comment about being "disgusted with the Australian system......." which, I personally, think gives everyone a fair go.

I am sorry to read that things have been tough for you and your family and I hope something turns up for you very soon.

Good luck.