No jobs in uk how about Adelaide!!!!!!

Guest thecollinsbunch

Guest thecollinsbunch

HI everyone

What is the job situation like in Adelaide for builders?My husband is a scaffolder in the uk,i know thats not a reconised skill in oz but been told there is lots of building work going on in adelaide and lots of scaffolding work! is that true or is it as bad as uk?so if there is any bricklayers or scaffolders on pia please let me know

thank you julie x:nah:

I've no idea what the job market is like for builders, but have been monitoring the situation there, as we are worrying what the job situation will be like. This article today on news.com.au is not very encouraging:

http://www.news.com.au/business/money/story/0,28323,25141065-5016110,00.html

Basically it says the Australian economy is "shrinking sooner - and faster - than expected" and that "NSW recorded the weakest economic performance, along with South Australia".

"The nation will be in a technical recession should the next quarterly GDP figures also be negative -- now the prevailing view among economists.

"The downturn has arrived," NAB senior economist David de Garis said.

The economy grew at an annual pace of just 0.3 per cent in 2008, the slowest rate since 1991, when Australia was last in the depths of recession."

After months of denial, I think that reality has finally hit Australia and they have realised they are not going to be immune from the economic downturn that has hit the rest of the world. It's just hitting them a bit later than it has here. Sometimes I think we are mad to even consider going over at the moment !

Guest Nick11
Did anyone get the Advertiser last Saturday? I was shocked at how thin the job section was!! Worse than the Christmas edition. Did someone say there was a Global Recession on? Very uneasy times no matter where you live in the world.

Yes I thought that too.

Compared to last year the jobs are almost non existent.

Guest Thongs Rule

Nearly every company I deal with are either having redundancies or working short time, there are very few sectors not feeling the recession. I was suprised on the news yesterday that apparently SA companies are flooded with applications from interstate, yet we have no jobs and the highest level of unemployment in australia, go figure.