Carer for the elderly jobs???

Guest Bakers

Guest Bakers

Hi all quick question hoping some one will have an idea i have worked as a carer in the UK for 4 years in a residential home where i progressed to lead care (medication handling & staff supervisor) but had all on the job training obviously did manual handling,first aid certificates & various training courses etc but never went to college/uni I have references & can obtain letters from my ex-employers & i'm just wondering how i would go about getting back into the same kind of work here & how i'd stand as i know they like lots of certificates here??

If anyone has any thoughts,answers,ideas or suggestions they would be gratefully accepted thanks in advance Tess:)OOPS just noticed my spelling on thread title haha should be for!!!

Hi all quick question hoping some one will have an idea i have worked as a carer in the UK for 4 years in a residential home where i progressed to lead care (medication handling & staff supervisor) but had all on the job training obviously did manual handling,first aid certificates & various training courses etc but never went to college/uni I have references & can obtain letters from my ex-employers & i'm just wondering how i would go about getting back into the same kind of work here & how i'd stand as i know they like lots of certificates here??

If anyone has any thoughts,answers,ideas or suggestions they would be gratefully accepted thanks in advance Tess:)OOPS just noticed my spelling on thread title haha should be for!!!

to obtain a job in a care home here you will require a cert 3 in aged care which can be done through tafe. A friend of mine had nvqs etc in uk but still had to convert to do this before she could work.i will ask but im sure she wouldnt mind me passing on her email , shes now being supported by her employer to do cert 4 .

there are a number of ways you can get your cert 3, one would be to do as Claire suggests and go to TAFE (or a similar training provider) It costs around $1700 and lasts 8-10 weeks. The time is mainly spent in the class room with 76 hours practical, You might be able to get RPLs for that though given that you worked in the UK as a carer.

Another way would be to do your cert over 12 months, its free this way, you get paid (not sure exactly but i'ts minimal, $12 or so an hour) you spend more on the job training. Some of the larger Not for Profit providers do this, or some of the agencys (Support Staff)

Best of luck

Maria

Guest stufi1997

Hi Tess,

I work as a home support worker here, you don't need certificate 3 to work in the community. I worked as a carer in the UK and just took my reference and certificates from there. Like Clare says I'm pretty sure you do need cert 3 for residential homes, but if you want a job in the mean time, there are plenty of home support jobs going....I prefer this anyway, good luck fiona xx

Guest Bakers
Hi Tess,

I work as a home support worker here, you don't need certificate 3 to work in the community. I worked as a carer in the UK and just took my reference and certificates from there. Like Clare says I'm pretty sure you do need cert 3 for residential homes, but if you want a job in the mean time, there are plenty of home support jobs going....I prefer this anyway, good luck fiona xx

I would be very interested in this side of care as i believe could work around kids & OH's job better would you possibly have any contact numbers of employers so i could get some more info thanks Fiona very helpful Tess xx

Guest LISA 79

Hi

not sure if this will help but im looking to start in this line of work and found an agency called statewide group training.there is a girl there called soula and her ph no is 8416 7999 she could advice you on what you need to do....hope you get somthing sorted ..................lisa

Guest stufi1997

I work down in victor harbor for ECH their head office is on greenhill road, adelaide though and they have several areas they cover as far as i know, there are loads of companies down here and you're right it works in great with kids....we don't even work past around 7pm here, I was sometimes out til 11pm at home getting folk into their beds! Sorry I can't be more helpful on specific companies but there are bound to be loads in your area too, good luck fiona xx

Guest caoimhe

My aunt works for Anglicare and says they are always looking people, check out thier website

Guest brandyslad

Glad to see there is a demand in this line of work over there too. I started doing home care shifts three mornings a week in anticipation of perhaps needing to 'change my career' in Oz! I saw some of the threads on there and other forums about job shortages so decided to get myself some pre-Oz experience.

Everyone else is having their hours cut and looking redundancy in the face over here but the care agency I am with could fill a working week for me no problem. I am doing this on top of my full time job to get experience and also get some certs so I am not doing major hours. In fact my first course is today and they have booked me in for two more. So happy days.

It has also taken the 'fear factor' out of it for me. I had no nursing experience, and yes I know I am not going in nursing them, I am simply helping them out of bed, doing a bit of house work, but I had never had much contact with seriously ill patients before so I was worrying I wouldn't lift them properly so do something wrong.

I like doing it, most of the clients are dead on, yes some cranky people but sure you encounter them every where. In fact a lot of the time it's a matter of going in and having a cup of tea and a chat. I am also unbelievably up to speed with local gossip since I started doing it too!!! LOL

• 4 months later...
Guest Halbert

Well there are many options to get in for care home service. Its really very nice that you are intersted to join such community. These communities are really working good for elderly care and many peoples are personally joining them and helping others.

Elderly care

Guest Stu&Jo

My o/h is a Registered Manager of a home for adults with learning disabilities. She has NVQ4 with RMA (registered managers award) and is currently studying for NVQ4 in Management.

Do they use this kind of position in Oz, most of the manager type jobs I've seen before are held by nurses. Her Vetassess was done as disabilities services officer but don't think that quite cuts it. We applied Feb 08 and still haven't heard a dicky bird since.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Stu

Guest Martin and Val

Hi Stu,

Sorry I can't help with your questions but I must ask if I'm reading your post correctly? You applied for your 475 during Feb 2008 (We are now fast approaching Sept 2009) and as yet you've heard nothing! Are you using an agent if so get them to chase it, have you checked your visa status on line as it seems you have waited long enough?

Martin

Guest Stu&Jo

You sound surprised, with all the changes and directing their efforts towards employer sponsored and state sponsored applicants I wasn't expecting to hear anything for years yet!!!

Thanks

Stu

Guest Stu&Jo

Just checked and funnily enough nothing has changed, we're not using an agent and even though we've sold the house I can see us still being here in years to come. Is it possible to get employer sponsored or state sponsored after your application has gone in? Since we applied my son's turned 18 so there could be issues there as well!

We'll see I suppose

Stu

Guest Martin and Val

Sorry Stu, again I can't answer your question but the reason I probably sounded surprised when I read you post was the time scale for your visa.

In your signature you state your meds were finalised over 12 months ago. I thought that it was always the case that you had to activate the Visa prior to 12 months lapsing from either the meds or Police check or you would need them again. Maybe things have changed.

Good luck with it all anyway and I hope you get the visa soon.

Martin

Guest Halbert

Hi I am a very experience Eldery care provider and I have openings for your love ones I am very caring loving and very trustworthy and very dependable I am also available on short notices and on call I have been in the Geriatrics .