Change of Direction

cormcvcr

Hi all,

as most of you know I came to Adelaide from Scotland and worked in Nutrition as aHealthy Eating Advisor. Unfortunately this line of work wasn't meant to be, so I managed to get a job within Flinders Hospital as a Personal Services Assistant, which was basically a cleaner with a fancy name. The job was casual and I was asked to go permanent starting in January. I did a two week training course within the department I was going to be working in, only to be told at the end of it the full time jobs weren't sorted out yet and it will take a while.

This meant that I had to look for my own shifts again and go onto standby, which as quite a lot of you know, this is difficult when you have young kids to drop everything and run.

Well.....here's the good bit, I thought why not open up a company offering domestic/commercial cleaning services. My OH is a painter & decorator and we thought it would be a great idea if we joined our companies together to create

"Argyle Painting & Cleaning Services".

We did this a couple of weeks ago and now I have my first client.....Andy is still working self employed with the varying degrees of work he gets in through other companies, but to tap into the cleaning services area in just a couple of weeks with the amount of companies that are out there is brilliant....I think anyway.

So 1 client now, hopefully more tomorrow......and you never know we may make a success of it that we will need to employ people ourselves, which could help new people coming to Adelaide looking for a few days work until they get themselves set up with the job they want to do.

So watch this space........

ps. the reason I wanted to post this was to let people know out there, that sometimes the job you came to do isn't quite the same or may be difficult to get, but it doesn't stop you from working at something, even if it isn't ideal, it's a start. Be open minded with the choices that you have, any job is better than none. Keep positive things have a way of working out when you least expect them and never give up trying x

The very best of luck to you Cornelia!!!! You deserve it, I never known anyone quite so adaptable as you. You've tried all avenues since being here and now this one might just be the one that pays off, good on ya girl!!

1 customer today, how many will tomorrow bring?? :D

J x

Guest mr secret

Good for you girl.

You are a shining example of a pom who comes over here, works their sox off and whose glass is always half full.

If medals could be given you would win gold.

It's a shame a few other other people aren't prepared to follow your lead!

Guest Django

Well done you C.

Its as you say if you get off your butt and get things going it'll happen. I sooo hope it kicks off for you and the jobs roll in. Well done.:notworthy::notworthy:

Pete

Way to go, hope it all works out, and we will certainly be giving you a shout when we move out of our rental to take occupation of our nice new house in Hallet Cove Heights!! Lol, nice and close for the wee man's footy. Now if we could just get your hubby's footy team shirts for dusting rags you'd be sorted!!!:wacko::biglaugh:

i think this is a great idea, so many people leaving rentals want a good deep clean doing, people always want decorators.

Do you do carpet cleaning? If so what would the price be for a bedroom and living room? :biglaugh:

Hi Clare,

I know what you mean about the rental side of things, I am going to contact all the real estate agents and rental agents for those who want a clean done before leaving their rental or before selling their homes.

As for the carpet cleaning, not yet, but it is something that I am going to be investigating over the next week or so as I need to price machines etc and then learn how to use them.....I can practice on my own carpets, cos they need a clean too, before I'm let loose on the public.

Cx

Good on you, and I wish you every success in your new venture. By the way, I work at one of the Business Enterprise Centres - there are several dotted around Adelaide, and often they offer free advice to small businesses so if you need any help with marketing plans, business plans, that kind of thing, get in touch with your local one and see if they are offering any free sessions (if not let me know and I will try and get hold of a voucher for you from the one I'm at)

So nice to hear about someone getting out there and giving something a go!

Diane

Good on you, and I wish you every success in your new venture. By the way, I work at one of the Business Enterprise Centres - there are several dotted around Adelaide, and often they offer free advice to small businesses so if you need any help with marketing plans, business plans, that kind of thing, get in touch with your local one and see if they are offering any free sessions (if not let me know and I will try and get hold of a voucher for you from the one I'm at)

So nice to hear about someone getting out there and giving something a go!

Diane

Yor local one is in Morphett Vale. Been there myself, very useful and youd be surprised at the free help avalable. Well worth an appointment or visit for anyone thinking of new business.

Guest Lulujim

Yey! Well done Cornelia - you are an excellent example of someone making the most of their life and getting on with it. You deserve all the success I have no doubt your company will achieve :notworthy::notworthy:

Guest Martin and Val
The reason I wanted to post this was to let people know out there, that sometimes the job you came to do isn't quite the same or may be difficult to get, but it doesn't stop you from working at something, even if it isn't ideal, it's a start. Be open minded with the choices that you have, any job is better than none. Keep positive things have a way of working out when you least expect them and never give up trying x

Good luck with your new venture with hard work and determination you will succeed.

On Tuesday this week I went to look at buying an old Ute which was going to take up the remaining money I had left. I have been thinking of going it alone for a while now and that was going to be the start of it. Unfortunately the Ute wasn’t worth a cent and I would probably have spent most of the time on the side of the road with my head under the bonnet.

Now a few days later I have my first Aussie Job after looking for 20 weeks, it’s only temporary but hopefully I can save a bit for a better Ute and then open the biggest thing Australia have ever seen! Well it may happen…

Good luck and Three Cheers for "Argyle Painting & Cleaning Services"

Martin