• Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Change of Direction

Port Noarlunga
      5 times

Quote Originally Posted by cormcvcr View Post
      Hi all,

as most of you know I came to Adelaide from Scotland and worked in Nutrition as aHealthy Eating Advisor. Unfortunately this line of work wasn't meant to be, so I managed to get a job within Flinders Hospital as a Personal Services Assistant, which was basically a cleaner with a fancy name. The job was casual and I was asked to go permanent starting in January. I did a two week training course within the department I was going to be working in, only to be told at the end of it the full time jobs weren't sorted out yet and it will take a while.

This meant that I had to look for my own shifts again and go onto standby, which as quite a lot of you know, this is difficult when you have young kids to drop everything and run.

Well.....here's the good bit, I thought why not open up a company offering domestic/commercial cleaning services. My OH is a painter & decorator and we thought it would be a great idea if we joined our companies together to create
      "Argyle Painting & Cleaning Services".

We did this a couple of weeks ago and now I have my first client.....Andy is still working self employed with the varying degrees of work he gets in through other companies, but to tap into the cleaning services area in just a couple of weeks with the amount of companies that are out there is brilliant....I think anyway.

So 1 client now, hopefully more tomorrow......and you never know we may make a success of it that we will need to employ people ourselves, which could help new people coming to Adelaide looking for a few days work until they get themselves set up with the job they want to do.

So watch this space........

ps. the reason I wanted to post this was to let people know out there, that sometimes the job you came to do isn't quite the same or may be difficult to get, but it doesn't stop you from working at something, even if it isn't ideal, it's a start. Be open minded with the choices that you have, any job is better than none. Keep positive things have a way of working out when you least expect them and never give up trying x

Meant to say Michael is terrible at DIY so Andy will be kept busy in our house when we get there and at least you will have a hairdresser you can trust!

Port Noarlunga
      134 times
      Hi Les and Michael,

what a turn around for you guys, Andy is still in bed after too many mick jaggers last night, but I'll tell him the good news when he finally surfaces. Keep us informed and there's always a bed here when you arrive until you get sorted.

Take care x
      Cornelia (41), Andy (42!!), Ally (16) & Wee Andi (12) x

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Copyright 2006 - 2015 Australia Migration Forums