GOT A JOB, Light at the end of the tunnel !!!!!! Yeeehaaaa

Guest Martin and Val

Guest Martin and Val

Well, we arrived in Australia on 22nd October 2008 and I began my search for work with out any success!

Val secured and started a full time permanent position just before Christmas and I just carried on applying. Last count I have applied for 62 different positions either directly to the companies or via agencies since January 1st 2009, and I’ve even gone out cold calling with a fist full of CV’s. (Sorry Resume’s)

Anyway the savings have taken one hell of a battering since we arrived and even with Val working I have, this past couple of weeks reached the point of giving up!

But! Yesterday after a call from an agency the light has been turned back on. I had to go back into their office today and do some more tests, on top of the ones I did in December when I registered with them.

To cut a long story short, I start my first ever Aussie job a week Monday, it’s only a temporary role for 14 weeks but WOW, and I can’t wait to start.

I gave up a new company BMW car of my choice every 9 months and an extremely good salary to come here neither of which I want back anymore. I’m going to be very happy with my 8am -5pm Monday –Friday job doing general office admin work I’ve never done it before and I've never passed any exams in it! But what the hell I’m willing to learn. So I’ll start here and see what comes of it.

Maybe I will enjoy it and of course it will top up the Lemonade fund!!!!

Good luck to everyone else, hang on in there…………

Martin

PS: I know it's only for 14 weeks but its a start.:jiggy::D:jiggy:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, mate congrats. What a great healthy attitude you guys come over with. Hope it works out for you, and even if it is only for 14 weeks, you now got on the Aussie work ladder, and much easier to get another one with a ref from an Aussie company in your CV. You never know, it might even turn permanent. Good to hear you hung in there, now you just have to leave the beach bum lifestyle to go back to work!!!! lol. Really chuffed to hear someone getting out there and being positive, well done again mate.

Shaun

Guest caoimhe

:jiggy:Great news Martin I am really pleased for you.

You will get a Ozzie Reference from this and thats what is needed for the next job.

I am also relieved to know you won't need to sell your body anymore :biglaugh:

Guest Bodie

My heartfelt congratulations to you. I was in a similar position at the start of last year. 6 months with no work or income, it certainly tests your resolve, financial planning and desire to be here. I secured a 20 week part time contract, in July 08. My position was lower than the one I left in the Uk but higher than I expected to start at. I was made substantive in Nov 08 in the same role I held in the UK. As you know persistence and the personal touch pays off. Enjoy your first 'lemonade', (Fitz Wizz or Jules Juice, I wonder?) when you get your first Aussie pay cheque.

Well played sir!

Mark

Guest Lisado

Congrats Martin - its a start eh and as they say "once you get your foot in the door"

I have resigned my self to coming over and being a cleaner (nano librarian jobs) - but I feel quite content with that thought to be honest - better get some practising in the house eh ;)

Guest VINDER

Congrats Martin. Although I have yet to meet you, have read many of your posts and you have always came across as a nice person..so happy that you have received some good news.All the best and may this be the first of many more good things to come ...

Good on ya Cobber,exactly..ish the same as moi.When we arrived on September 5th 2008,i started looking for work!A task not for the faint-hearted.Well, after much binding in the moss,and joining agencies who probably shred your Resume as soon as they recieve it,i decided"enough of this c..p",we will pay for a course which should lead to employment.I spent 3 months doing a course in Disability Support.Like yourself i start work in a wonderful Facility on Sunday 15 March.I am delighted beyond words as my experience has been the same as yours.The low point of all this was being speed tested in the Public reception of an Agency with a Stopwatch by an 18 year old Bimbo!How humiliating.Still,we will get there,both of us,because we try,and dont give up,All the best Billy.

Guest cazzie

Martin,

Congratulations! We are both so pleased for you. Good luck with learning the office skills, and your determination is an inspiration to all.

Cazzie and Bill

Guest gypsy

Hi Martin

Well done. Congratulation.

I was reading all your posts and you are a very kind contributor to this forum and am so happy for you.

All the very best.

hey martin congratulations and who knows what it may lead on to. Just curious to know what you did in the uk. My other half is in the same positin, luckily he has a job but has taken a big backstep, hes now looking into enrolling at tafe to do a business course which will hopefully push him up the ladder a bit. good luck hun x

Guest redfoxy

CONGRATULATIONS MARTIN !!

I dont know you but have read many of your posts and my heart has gone out to you and Val.

We arrived in Spet 08 and it took me til 1st dec to get a job and my husband was in the same position as you.

Anyway we didnt have the guts to start up on our own and bought a VIP franchise and after only 5 weeks is doing very well now.

I am working fulltime "general office duties" (left the high paid high stress job bakc in the UK) bit like you and also helping out my Husband on the franchise.

Yes our saving have taken a huge battering, 2 vehicles, equipment to set up the buisiness etc anyway next on the agenda is a house purchase hopefully !!

Best of luck to you and I am sure you are releived to be gainfully employed !!!

I dont think anyone who emigrates to Australia realises how much it does actually cost in monetary terms.

However, its a far far nicer place than where I came from NW UK.

Best of luck again and CHEERS YAMMAS !! XX

Guest Martin and Val

I would like to say a personal thank you, to everyone for all the kind words and good wishes received. What a great community we have here.

Good luck to everyone, what ever your current goal is.

Martin

Wow, mate congrats. What a great healthy attitude you guys come over with. Hope it works out for you, and even if it is only for 14 weeks, you now got on the Aussie work ladder, and much easier to get another one with a ref from an Aussie company in your CV. You never know, it might even turn permanent. Good to hear you hung in there, now you just have to leave the beach bum lifestyle to go back to work!!!! lol. Really chuffed to hear someone getting out there and being positive, well done again mate. Shaun

Thank you Shaun,

Exactly as you say, I’m now on the Aussie work ladder. I will miss the beach and lounging by the pool though!

Cheers

Martin

Good news Martin, bout time you stopped being a kept man. Joking aside good news, shows it can be done

Thanks Ian,

It’s been a long time coming and I have been looking and not being fussy about what I did either. Let’s hope it’s the start of good things to come.

Martin

Great news Martin I am really pleased for you.

You will get a Ozzie Reference from this and thats what is needed for the next job.

I am also relieved to know you won't need to sell your body anymore

Hi Jacqueline, Stephen and the crew,

Thank you it’s a great relief even if only for 14 weeks. Oh! I’m sorry to say the body is still for sale!

Martin

Fantastic news Martin. A job is a job is a job. Its getting yourself known will lead to other jobs and open doors. Well done you

Cheers Pete,

And good luck to you with your search mate.

Martin

My heartfelt congratulations to you. I was in a similar position at the start of last year. 6 months with no work or income, it certainly tests your resolve, financial planning and desire to be here. I secured a 20 week part time contract, in July 08. My position was lower than the one I left in the Uk but higher than I expected to start at. I was made substantive in Nov 08 in the same role I held in the UK. As you know persistence and the personal touch pays off. Enjoy your first 'lemonade', (Fitz Wizz or Jules Juice, I wonder?) when you get your first Aussie pay cheque.

Well played sir! Mark

Thank you Mark,

As you say it does test your resolve. It’s only 14 weeks but it could lead to something else. At least at work I will be mixing more and getting to know people. There is only so much beach live you can take!

Good luck and cheers off out for lemonade soon!

Martin

Congrats Martin - its a start eh and as they say "once you get your foot in the door" I have resigned my self to coming over and being a cleaner (nano librarian jobs) - but I feel quite content with that thought to be honest - better get some practising in the house eh

Thank you Lisa,

My foot is firmly wedged in the door and I’m not removing it unless I’m forced, it’s a completely new thing for me and one which I can’t wait to have a go at.

Good luck with your plans

Martin

Congrats Martin. Although I have yet to meet you, have read many of your posts and you have always came across as a nice person..so happy that you have received some good news.All the best and may this be the first of many more good things to come ...

Vinder,

Thank you for your kind words. I will remind Val that I am really a nice person and she can treat me to a couple of lemonades to celebrate this weekend.

They say good things come to those that wait. well I certainly have waited but it’s been a great holiday!

Good luck

Martin

Good on ya Cobber, I spent 3 months doing a course in Disability Support.Like yourself i start work in a wonderful Facility on Sunday 15 March.I am delighted beyond words as my experience has been the same as yours.The low point of all this was being speed tested in the Public reception of an Agency with a Stopwatch by an 18 year old Bimbo!How humiliating.Still,we will get there,both of us,because we try,and dont give up,All the best Billy.

Hi Billy,

Good luck with the new job, you start a week before me so keep us posted how it goes. It’s a great feeling isn’t it?

Cheers

Martin