C.V (oz style)

Guest darren alley

Guest darren alley

Can anybody give me any advice on how to produce my c.v for the Australian job market.

any help will be greatly appreciated

many thanks

darren.

Guest Fancy a Beer

Personally I dont think there is an Aussie style of CV thats any different to the UK,

My top tips:

Put your current or last job FIRST!! Not many employers are bothered what you did 20 years ago!

A very brief indication of what the UK companies you worked for did.

Make sure it is easy to read and contains key words relative to your roles!

Make it interesting if your bored reading it so will everyone else be!!

Tweek each CV for each role you are applying for!

Good Luck!!

Guest stormywhether
Personally I dont think there is an Aussie style of CV thats any different to the UK

Now that is interesting. I heard from a few people that the Aussies favour having much more info than you would expect on a standard UK CV.

Whereas it's expected that you can tighten a CV up here in Britain to two pages, don't they like having 4+ pages in Oz?

Freaks me out a bit having to do this because as a journo I'm used to keeping things ultra tight and therefore will be breaking all my long-held principles in order to sell myself!

:chatterbox:

Guest brandyslad

Yep - I had heard this too - about Aussie CVs or sorry, resumes! being much longer, I know I expanded mine to 8 pages for SA sponsorhip. I know this isn't the same as a job app but I had heard that they like more info on their CVs???

Another question related to job apps - on a couple of job adverts I have simply seen 'send your application in to' there doesn't seem to be an application form, am I right that they are looking you to write a statement addressing how you meet the criteria? And is this normal? This was in relation to community/ project officer jobs.

I just googled 'how to write an aussie resume', got some great tips and examples and mine seems to be working ( will find out end of April) I extended mine from 2 pages to 4 pages, included written references and put in great detail about the company I work for in the UK, (Was advised they may not be familiar with your company name and giving a company profile helps)

Guest covfan71
Can anybody give me any advice on how to produce my c.v for the Australian job market.

any help will be greatly appreciated

many thanks

darren.

Hi, i have been in the Forces for 23 years and am just doing my career transition workshop. During this they help you out with your CV amd so far i have been very impressed. they have totally ripped apart the draft CV i took with me and showed me a different way to do it. There are basically 2 styles of CV. Reverse Chronilogical and Fuctional. The one i have done for Oz is a fuctional one as it's outlines my skills and competences. A Reverse Chronological is basically a list of your last 10 or so jobs. Mine is a bit like this,

Name and address

Your Profile

your Key Skills

Your Career History (last 10 years)

Education

Training and Courses

Interests and Hobbies

they also teech you lots of other little tip about what paper to print it on and how to post it. (ie in an A4 envelope and not folded).

If i can be of any more help please get in touch

Guest brandyslad
Hi, i have been in the Forces for 23 years and am just doing my career transition workshop. During this they help you out with your CV amd so far i have been very impressed. they have totally ripped apart the draft CV i took with me and showed me a different way to do it. There are basically 2 styles of CV. Reverse Chronilogical and Fuctional. The one i have done for Oz is a fuctional one as it's outlines my skills and competences. A Reverse Chronological is basically a list of your last 10 or so jobs. Mine is a bit like this,

Name and address

Your Profile

your Key Skills

Your Career History (last 10 years)

Education

Training and Courses

Interests and Hobbies

they also teech you lots of other little tip about what paper to print it on and how to post it. (ie in an A4 envelope and not folded).

If i can be of any more help please get in touch

What kind of paper do they say to send it on?? I take it not the ream for £1.97 I get in Tesco!!! :D When things are so competitive every detail helps!

Guest covfan71
What kind of paper do they say to send it on?? I take it not the ream for £1.97 I get in Tesco!!! :D When things are so competitive every detail helps!

No, not your Tesco recycled stuff. Minimum 100 gsm. My instructor told us some interesting stories about when he dealt with applications in his last job. Apparently any envelope that wasn't A4 went straight in the bin. Then from the remaining lot any that had a second class stamp went in the bin. He is talking from experience and we were all very shocked to say the least. This is not to say that every company this though.

Guest Fancy a Beer

I think you need to have something a bit different to what EVERYONE else sends in anyway, just because they got long boring essays of 4 or 5 pages doesnt mean you need to!! It's all about standing out from the group not doing exactly what everyone else does!!

I think you need to have something a bit different to what EVERYONE else sends in anyway, just because they got long boring essays of 4 or 5 pages doesnt mean you need to!! It's all about standing out from the group not doing exactly what everyone else does!!

Unfortunately this is not true. It is necessary in Australia to make sure your resume confirms to the standard here, which does mean, at times, up to 4 or 5 pages dependent on your relevant work history.

Now that is interesting. I heard from a few people that the Aussies favour having much more info than you would expect on a standard UK CV.

Whereas it's expected that you can tighten a CV up here in Britain to two pages, don't they like having 4+ pages in Oz?

Freaks me out a bit having to do this because as a journo I'm used to keeping things ultra tight and therefore will be breaking all my long-held principles in order to sell myself!

:chatterbox:

Definitely some differences!

Yep - I had heard this too - about Aussie CVs or sorry, resumes! being much longer, I know I expanded mine to 8 pages for SA sponsorhip. I know this isn't the same as a job app but I had heard that they like more info on their CVs???

Another question related to job apps - on a couple of job adverts I have simply seen 'send your application in to' there doesn't seem to be an application form, am I right that they are looking you to write a statement addressing how you meet the criteria? And is this normal? This was in relation to community/ project officer jobs.

Oh yes, selection criteria not only have to be addressed in a separate document but also a paragraph or so for each one, and they way they are written (wording) is very very important, especially if you are going for government or university jobs.

Guest Aussie pat
Oh yes, selection criteria not only have to be addressed in a separate document but also a paragraph or so for each one, and they way they are written (wording) is very very important, especially if you are going for government or university jobs.

I went thru this recently as my first application for a promotion was not suitable for shortlisting and I had to resubmit. I spoke to a very helpful person at HR in the Dept of Health who helped me (even though I didn't work for them). On their employment website there is a really useful section on how to apply that tells you the finer details of what to do.

I got the job despite the initial problems.