Dilemna! Should we stay or go

Guest ozziespurs

Guest ozziespurs

Can somebody please give some advice, we've just excepted offer on house and they want to complete by 13 may I am now quite scared as i have heard recession is hiiting oz and their is not much work for sparkies. Our dilemna is do we go into rented and stay or do we take a chance and move, as we have lost out quite a bit on house and are now only going to have limited funds. We have 5 children all who are going to be in education, we also have a 136 permanent visa. Please help as i am now quite scared, I do really want to go but must put family first as OH has a good job here. THANK YOU!:confused:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest covfan71
Can somebody please give some advice, we've just excepted offer on house and they want to complete by 13 may I am now quite scared as i have heard recession is hiiting oz and their is not much work for sparkies. Our dilemna is do we go into rented and stay or do we take a chance and move, as we have lost out quite a bit on house and are now only going to have limited funds. We have 5 children all who are going to be in education, we also have a 136 permanent visa. Please help as i am now quite scared, I do really want to go but must put family first as OH has a good job here. THANK YOU!:confused:

Personally if it was me i would pack my bags and be on my way. Just the change in lifestyle and weather will make things seem better. If it's a possibility then start fishing now for work. By that i mean send your CV to all sparky firms and see what happens. I know someone that did that (not a sparky though) and received a job offer within 2 weeks. It won't do any harm.

The good thing for you is that you are on a perm Visa so will be entitled to benefits etc.

Good luck

Guest fuji70

I'd go...

I don't have kids but I've been a teacher and have 3 million nieces (!) Kids are resolute, they'll adapt, it'll be fun, an adventure...

...and you yourselves know more than any of us, that you won't let things get so bad that it affects your kids in a negative way.

Any way you can go over but have enuff dosh to come back to if you need to??

Still not convinced you would mind you.

Like the saying goes "If at first you dont succeed at least you've tried!"

Everyone has the same doubts because at the end of the day getting the visa is the easy bit believe you me! For every story of someone struggling there is another of a person happy so i would say 90% its down to the attitude you come here with and also that little bit of luck. Come with a positive attitude and a willingness to accept that everything will not always go great and stick with it.

With the right positive attitude the bad days are few and far between.

Hi I don't blame you for being nervous, well on obtaining your visa and I hope the sale of your house goes through smoothly, it is a enormous leap coming over here and your worries are justified, five children to put through education even state isn't going to be cheap, on top of this is medical and dental if its any help to start budgeting I have 2 at state primary at $300 per year each and 1 at State High School at $550 per year this is probably slightly different per state school but it will give you an idea to start.

Please don't let me put you off though this is a great place, for me and my family I found options and choices I would have never dreamed of in England and generally the Australians are so friendly and helpful, but start your search for work on Careerone.com.au I sure you'll feel a lot less streessed if your hubby has a Job to come to. I'm sure someone on here can point in the right direction.

Good luck

Julie

Guest Guest75

It's one that only you can answer.

Our thoughts were:

I did not want to live the rest of my life saying "What if"

My Dad had recently passed away - just before living his dreams of travelling the world i style.

Wanted a new challenge.

Wanted to get out of our "comfort zone" - had successfully business in the UK ,but would have ended up sitting upon our laurels I reckon.

Needed to get my daughter out here while young.

At least you have a perm visa so you should be OK for certain things like child allowance here.

A sparkling example of moving over with limited funds but with attitude and 4 kids is our good old Django in here.

Good luck in your decision.

BTW - been here 9 years now and in general it is what we wanted.:notworthy::notworthy:

Guest Snape Family

We have a similar but different problem, we can't sell our house, we have a temporary visa and we are desperate to get out there. We also currently have good jobs and have concerns over the job situation having been watching the websites and news. However if we were in your position we would go for it, especially if you have sold the house as it will give you some back up financially.

It is always a risk starting out new and it will always be a bit scary at first (especially with 5 children), but if you are prepared for the adventure as I hope we will be I am sure it will be worth it in the end.

good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.

Tracey

Like the saying goes "If at first you dont succeed at least you've tried!"

Everyone has the same doubts because at the end of the day getting the visa is the easy bit believe you me! For every story of someone struggling there is another of a person happy so i would say 90% its down to the attitude you come here with and also that little bit of luck. Come with a positive attitude and a willingness to accept that everything will not always go great and stick with it.

With the right positive attitude the bad days are few and far between.

Ian, good point but you you really want Ozziespurs to come out so you can double your

adelaide supporters club :biglaugh:

Guest Thongs Rule

I feel for your situation.

Now I'm no expert so don't shoot me down, but with a PR visa, it lasts for 5 years doesn't it ? When are those 5 years up ?

If there is no rush then hang on a couple of years, I don't get the jump now or you'll regret it strategy from a lot of other people, but I think your in a strong position and can wait for a better time.

As I understand it the UK is probably in it's worst point of the economic cycle, Australia is still on the slope into recession, whilst not as bad as the UK we will get worse even after the rest of the world starts to pick up (it's just a matter of understanding our place in the economic cycle), your house price is probably at it's lowest, whilst ours are just starting to decline, the exchange rate may hit $2 to the pound soon so what money you have will last even less here. 9 months to a year down the road could swing back to $2.40 to the pound, that's a 20% increase on the value of your money. I'm going back to the UK in 4 months time and have already put half of my capital into pounds to take advantage of the exchange rate.

It's a big decision to come over here but as I say your in a strong position to take your time if you wanted. Only hindsight tells us if we made the right decision..

Guest caoimhe

First off on a permanent visa you will get centrelink. For 5 kids that would be a massive help and you will get rent assist if your income is low. We are on a temp visa and get no help and it took my O/H 3 months to get work, I have never been so skint in my life but so far I don't regret the move. Our kids have settled very well into life and school and every weekend when we go off and do something very cheap together I know we made the right choice.

Good luck only you can make the choice:wubclub:

I feel for your situation.

Now I'm no expert so don't shoot me down, but with a PR visa, it lasts for 5 years doesn't it ? When are those 5 years up ?

If there is no rush then hang on a couple of years, I don't get the jump now or you'll regret it strategy from a lot of other people, but I think your in a strong position and can wait for a better time.

As I understand it the UK is probably in it's worst point of the economic cycle, Australia is still on the slope into recession, whilst not as bad as the UK we will get worse even after the rest of the world starts to pick up (it's just a matter of understanding our place in the economic cycle), your house price is probably at it's lowest, whilst ours are just starting to decline, the exchange rate may hit $2 to the pound soon so what money you have will last even less here. 9 months to a year down the road could swing back to $2.40 to the pound, that's a 20% increase on the value of your money. I'm going back to the UK in 4 months time and have already put half of my capital into pounds to take advantage of the exchange rate.

It's a big decision to come over here but as I say your in a strong position to take your time if you wanted. Only hindsight tells us if we made the right decision..

Hi sorry to contradict you but we are on a permanent visa and we have been told its for life, I think there is some new rules now that came out last year that says that you have to be here 4 years before you can become an Aussie Citizen, and I think that applies to those who have come in since that new rule has come in, I will probably not bother but my hubby will eventually because he needs to with his Job. If I'm wrong please let me know its just what we have been told be hubby's company.

Guest Django

The money you will receive each fortnight with 5 children should comfortably cover your rent. So as long as you can earn enough intially to pay the bills and your food you will be fine.

You have to be really careful with your money when you first arrive. Its so easy to spend, spend, spend. We have found it cheaper to live here than the UK so long as you buy in the righ places. Get out of the routine drilled into you from living in the UK. The 'big shop' is an expensive way to live. Go to butchers to buy meat, go to greengrocers to buy fruit and veg, etc. Not only is it better quality than the supermarkets it is cheaper as well.

It has been said here many times that money just slips through your fingers when you first arrive. It can, but only if you let it. Go without until the wages start to come in. There really isn't a rush to buy a BBQ, a big TV or a mahoooosive fridge freezer. Things like that can wait. We (family of 6) managed with a cheap bar fridge and a freezer of the same size for 6 months. Only last week we bought a large fridge/freezer and we survived. There is so much to do here for nothing or next to nothing so any job will do until you find that 'sparky' job. Once you have him out running the cables and fitting plug sockets then you can start to splash out a bit more.

We have no regrets moving out here except for the not doing it sooner one. If you come out with the right attitude, expect nothing, do anything jobwise (short term) you will succeed.

Give us a shout when you get here.

Pete

Guest Django
Hi sorry to contradict you but we are on a permanent visa and we have been told its for life,

I think they mean that they have 5 years once the visa has been activated to make the move over here. The only thing with that is that it will cost quite a bit for a family of 7 to fly over here and back just to activate. Thats before you start talking about accomadation, car hire, etc

Pete

Guest Django
Hello Pete how come you've got time to post threads on here I thought you were moving today or are you done already.

Julie

Moving the weekend coming (so long as things run as they should and we can pick the keys up on Friday/saturday morning).

Pete

Guest ozziespurs

Thanks for all your help you are almost convinving me to go, it is just the OH (main bread Winner) who needs convincing, can you please advise us best place to rent so he is well situated for work and cheap enough rental as he doesn't want to drive. Don't get me wrong he doesn't mind driving as he does 6 hours a day to work. it's just that on another forum we read that employers don't like their employees to drive to far to work, also can you please tell us how much we might get off centre link and rent assist, is this the same as child benefit and also how much are we looking at in education. My childrens ages are as follows 17 in college, 13, 11,and two 8 year olds.

Also I am a qualified dog groomer do you think that will come in handy out their. Once again many thanks.

Guest Thongs Rule
Hi sorry to contradict you but we are on a permanent visa and we have been told its for life, I think there is some new rules now that came out last year that says that you have to be here 4 years before you can become an Aussie Citizen, and I think that applies to those who have come in since that new rule has come in, I will probably not bother but my hubby will eventually because he needs to with his Job. If I'm wrong please let me know its just what we have been told be hubby's company.

I could still be wrong so I'd be happy to be stood corrected. But I understood a PR visa entitles you to reside in Australia indefinately but would still need to be renewed every 5 years if you wish to go overseas. As Ozziespurs was not in Australia yet I would have assumed that the visa would still have a 5 year shelf life but if you aren't residing in Australia it could be revoked, that chance though may be small. Only citizenship is for life.

Guest kangomik

it's a tough one, but i would at least validate the visa, expensive trip i know but it keeps that window open.

I would be lying if i said trade jobs were plentiful, but there is other work out there.

Location and price of rent is hard, i reckon you would be looking between 300 to 400 bux a week on rent. you will need the rooms.

Good luck with your decision, a very hard one indeed at this present time, but as pointed out. Things will change.

Hi sorry to contradict you but we are on a permanent visa and we have been told its for life,

It is for life if you never leave Australia. However your permanent visa will have an expiry date and once it runs out you then have to get a Resident Return Visa if you want to travel overseas, else they won't let you back into the country. RRVs last for 5 years and to renew them you have to have spent 2 years out of the last 5 in the country. I know because I had permanant residency, then we came back to the UK (no regrets) and because my RRV has expired I now have to get a Spouse visa (as advised by Go Matilda) if I want to go back and live. It's not a problem but a lot more hassle and more expensive than an RRV. Next time I'll make sure I get citizenship, I'm in the stupid situation where all my family (husband and children) have Aussie passports but at the moment I have no right to live there! :arghh: