We are here! But no job :-(

jo_marnes

Hi everyone,

Well we have been here about 10 days now and I am starting to fret about my husbands work situation! I know it is early days, but soon it won't be and we'll still be living on a very small pot of savings (and there is 5 of us!).

Mark is in IT and he has joined up with Hays, Hudson and another recruitment agency who I can't remember. He has been put forward for a few interviews, but no word from them except one, where he had an interview but didn't get it. What else can we be doing? It's hard to just drop CV's in to people as in his job (IT Support) he can really work anywhere - its not specific enough to select companies looking for someone like him.

How long did it take you to find a job? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jo xx

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Carl Hallam

I suggest if he's got the time then buy a printer and lots of paper and hit every where, i did this when we moved to Nottingham in uk years ago and got lucky i printed off about 500 CV's and got a job by the time i delivered the 100th or so one also got me to meet the locals and the area's kept me busy and exercise as i just left in the morning parked up near the local industrial sites and walked around. they also let me know who else was employing who wer'nt advertising as some companies may just of lost or know that they will be in the near future and so you may just savethem time and money. look positive hope all go's well

Guest Kraig1967
Hi everyone,

Well we have been here about 10 days now and I am starting to fret about my husbands work situation! I know it is early days, but soon it won't be and we'll still be living on a very small pot of savings (and there is 5 of us!).

Mark is in IT and he has joined up with Hays, Hudson and another recruitment agency who I can't remember. He has been put forward for a few interviews, but no word from them except one, where he had an interview but didn't get it. What else can we be doing? It's hard to just drop CV's in to people as in his job (IT Support) he can really work anywhere - its not specific enough to select companies looking for someone like him.

Thanks,

Jo xx

We have been here 3 months, my OH has applied for 58 jobs, registered with all the major recruiting agencies and had ONE interview, as to which she still had no job. She is a Quality Assurance Manager and was state sponsored to be here as the job was in demand. she has been in this field for over 20 years and studied up to and passing degree level...

We have been here 3 months, my OH has applied for 58 jobs, registered with all the major recruiting agencies and had ONE interview, as to which she still had no job. She is a Quality Assurance Manager and was state sponsored to be here as the job was in demand. she has been in this field for over 20 years and studied up to and passing degree level...

What do the agencies say? Is her job not in demand? Do they have any opinions as to why she hasn't got anywhere?

Jo xxx

Guest Kraig1967
What do the agencies say? Is her job not in demand? Do they have any opinions as to why she hasn't got anywhere?

Jo xxx

She is applying for at least 5 jobs a week or as many that come up, very lucky to get a reply from anyone after applying, the agencies are keen for a week or so and then seem to forget about you if they can't place you. :arghh:

Things are in a downturn all over at the moment, just have to hope something comes up soon.

Don’t mean to dampen anyone’s spirits but Adelaide is not an IT city if you want relatively stable employment in this field you might find you will have to move to Melbourne or Sydney. I believe there are problems with the work situation in Canberra where most of the government departments are located. I spent 3 ½ years in Adelaide, looking back now that was probably too long and I should have moved earlier, I was in and out of work until I eventually moved to Melbourne then Brissie. The work situation in Adelaide has always been poor, it’s considered a backwater in other states, there may be some work but is generally limited in each sector. Being such a small city there is a tendency for people in the various sectors to know each other so jobs get given to somebody who knows somebody etc. All I can advice is that if you are struggling to find work in Adelaide but want to stay in Aus don’t stay in Adelaide too long, widen your scope to the other states, many people commute interstate flying back to their home city at weekends. Good luck

know that feeling well chris is in sales but also an iso 9001 auditor and although he luckily has a job, hes trying to get back into business to business sales, hes had one interview out of 50 jobs hes applied for, just waiting to hear on second stage very frustrating!!

Guest Kraig1967
Don’t mean to dampen anyone’s spirits but Adelaide is not an IT city if you want relatively stable employment in this field you might find you will have to move to Melbourne or Sydney. I believe there are problems with the work situation in Canberra where most of the government departments are located. I spent 3 ½ years in Adelaide, looking back now that was probably too long and I should have moved earlier, I was in and out of work until I eventually moved to Melbourne then Brissie. The work situation in Adelaide has always been poor, it’s considered a backwater in other states, there may be some work but is generally limited in each sector. Being such a small city there is a tendency for people in the various sectors to know each other so jobs get given to somebody who knows somebody etc. All I can advice is that if you are struggling to find work in Adelaide but want to stay in Aus don’t stay in Adelaide too long, widen your scope to the other states, many people commute interstate flying back to their home city at weekends. Good luck

Conditions of the 475 visa is to live and work in SA for two years before you can apply for PR.

Guest Plumboz
She is applying for at least 5 jobs a week or as many that come up, very lucky to get a reply from anyone after applying, the agencies are keen for a week or so and then seem to forget about you if they can't place you. :arghh:

Things are in a downturn all over at the moment, just have to hope something comes up soon.

How are you finding work for plumbers?? Wages/hours/etc

Guest Kraig1967
How are you finding work for plumbers?? Wages/hours/etc

Difficult, again I keep applying but no joy up to now, have taken a job at the local car detailers until something comes up.

All in all been a very frustrating and expensive past 3 months :arghh:

Guest Plumboz
Difficult, again I keep applying but no joy up to now, have taken a job at the local car detailers until something comes up.

All in all been a very frustrating and expensive past 3 months :arghh:

Sorry to hear that and worrying to know it's that bad. I hope it falls into place for you.

Keep us updated.

Hi, sorry to hear of your troubles...............................

i dont mean to be obvious, but there are casual jobs out there, many on a casual basis; and once in the workforce........................well, you have evidence of being in the workforce, so maybe a job more suited to you will turn up later on..............

i know its hard, and not really much use, but ANY work is better than nothing, espesh if you are running out of funds.

Good luck with the search

ATB

Jane

Guest caoimhe
Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Jo xx

We were here 3 months before my O/H got an IT job. He has been doing this for 10 years and has never been paid so little:nah:and the hours are awful. He applied for 35 jobs and only heard back from 2, which he rang to ask why and was told he was too qualified. He had interviews with a few agencies and even though they said they had jobs they never got back to him. The job he did get was through a freind who met Stephen's new boss at a BBQ and suggested he chat to him.

He may have to take any job in any field just to get some money coming in and a reference.

I really sympathise as there are 6 of us and we spent a load of saving living with no income. I hope it works out for you.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

i have lost count of how mAny times me and others have said the "pay is not so good here" and "just because your job is on the demand list doesnt mean they are crying out for you"

Sadly neither are the case.

You just have to keep plugging away, sometimes its not what you know, its who you know, and sometimes its a case of right place right time!

Good luck

sarah

Why on earth do they keep putting these jobs on the In Demand list when clearly that is very often not a true reflection of the current job situation.

As people have said ,who you know and not what you know often gets you a job.Not an easy option when you are a new arrival on little funding.

In days gone by when houses were cheap,cost of living likewise, that scenario might have been more acceptable,but not when people are giving up good jobs and security to come here.

In recruitment terms the anecdotes i have heard about criteria set by a lot of employers here is beyond belief.

I wish you the very best of luck .

Sue

Guest LordLucan

My initial reaction to this comment is that it is a negative point of view, but then I have been looking around recently, and despite having a continuous work record in IT in Adelaide, having been with the same University department for 17 years and having a very wide range of experience, I haven't even managed an interview out of 5 applications. I suspect that many agencies advertise non-existent positions in order to get your details on their databases, and in my experience they are a waste of time. If I was serious (which I'm not yet), i would get that CV and covering letter out to every company I could think of. Every decent size company has an IT department, every little company needs IT help, so clearly there are LOTS of IT jobs in Adelaide. Sadly, Adelaide IS a who-you-know rather than a what-you-know kind od place, and when you do find that job, you will start off below where you were in th UK - that is a fact of life for most migrants. Good luck, and be prepared to do a lot of printing and posting. It is worth it for the fabulous climate, affordable housing and outdoor lifestyle.

Guest kangomik
Why on earth do they keep putting these jobs on the In Demand list when clearly that is very often not a true reflection of the current job situation.

Quite simply because it earns them millions of dollars per year, and industry within its self.:sad:

Guest cornish Busdriver

G'day Jo.

Sorry to be like an old nag but did your hubby research the IT market here before you came like phone companys and speak to people.

Its all very well e-mailing them and posting CV's off but do you know how many of these they get each day !!!!!! they just blow them off.

My missus and I both have a 1st Degrees in software programming and design but i work as a bus driver and she works as a theater nurse and as Ranger said Adelaide is not an IT city.

We are lucky to have other careers to fall back on.

Has your hubby thought of a career change or as i was once told "needs determin what must be done" .

Good luck on the job front but im sure he will have a long wait if he wants to get into IT marcket here.

Guest cornish Busdriver

G'day again Jo.

Just a little heads up for you.

Ive just got off the phone with a mate who's got an IT company here and who i do some private work for and asked him about the IT market and he's just advised me that your hubby will probally have a lot more luck once he gets his Degree or other paperwork converted to the Australian standard versions of it.

He also said go and knock on doors with your CV with proof of skills or Phone them and only send in a CV if they ask for it.

He gets 50 or 60 e-mails a week asking about employment with CV's attached and just deletes most of them.

Guest Nick11

He gets 50 or 60 e-mails a week asking about employment with CV's attached and just deletes most of them.

Wow that really does say it all. Too many people after too few jobs.

Very worrying times we are living in.

The job paper today was ridiculously thin- even the nursing section - which used to take up pages and pages of it - is thinning down.

When we emigrated we were also told my husbands job was in demand etc etc. Sent off CV's, cold called, contacted agencies, did all the things you have to do - you know - go back to college to get licences to be able to do some of the work he had been doing for 24 years in the UK - all with no luck whatsoever. Watched the ever growing queues for casual mundane jobs, saw over and over in the media that 5 or 6 HUNDRED people would apply for a single job. Used up all our savings trying to survive. Finally he got some retraining in a different field and got a full time job ................. two and a half years later!!!!

With hindsight we would never have emigrated at the start of a recession. This was back in 1991, it was bloody hard to survive with two small children, (and we could then apply for benefits which helped), it caused major depression, and ultimately broke my marriage up.

My advice for anyone thinking about migrating right now in this economic climate is simple - DON'T!

I do worry about all trades/professions when I read posts like this. Definitely look at ways of converting existing qualifications into SA ones, it is often who you know. Stay positive, I am sure it must be hard for you. Fingers crossed something comes your way soon.

Guest DianeJ

Just before we arrived a company that does electrical engineering went to the wall, putting 40 engineers out of work. What does my husband do....... you've guessed it! We did our research before we came, but some things are out of your hands. So that means 40 people ahead of my husband with contacts etc or who are known in the industry! We have only been here 6 weeks but the vibes aren't good. He is now looking for work in Melbourne and Sydney !

Diane

Guest butterfly

Try contacting Adam Internet. They have some out of hours support vacancies according to a colleague of my husband's - it may not be suitable for your husband but thought it was worth passing on