• Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Like Tree62Likes

Thread: We are here! But no job :-(

caoimhe
      Quote Originally Posted by rockpool crab View Post
      Whilst your background and experience are impressive, some candidates had qualifications, skills and work history that was more specific to our clientís requirements.
      Carol Ann
      This is the same response my O/H was given every time he was turned down by an agency. If you do not have the exact requirements their client wants why aren't they more specific with the job decription. How do you find out what your doing wrong and how to change it

Title
      Liked
      160 times
      Rep
      We arrived in Adelaide on 22 Oct 2008 and started our search for work. Fortunately Val struck gold and started work in December. Two weeks ago she gained a pay rise and promotion which is fantastic. I on the other hand backed off my search over Christmas and then went head first into it once the New Year arrived.
      So far this year I have applied for over 60 positions some with agencies and some directly to the companies, Iíve cold called armed with CVís and letters.
      I have been keeping my hope up on a particular job I went far but this week got the call that I had been beaten by another candidate. This was a hard one to swallow after being short listed from 50 applicants down to the last two. But nothing I can do about that except keep applying.
      Iíve not much time for the agencies to be honest even though I have just completed my first week of work through one of them.
      Just keep plugging away and be prepared as it may well take a long time to get your foot on the ladder.
      Good luck
      Martin

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      You may have tried these already

http://www.seek.com.au/
      http://www.careerone.com.au/

are quite good websites to seach for jobs on, I actually found my job though them abd was out of work for bout 1month after I got here.

Good Luck

C&Z
      [quote=rockpool crab;77107]Hi there,
      . I am just looking for real reasons as to why I'm not being shortlisted.

Because your not Australian I reckon. Sorry to blunt, I am in the same position as you, typed tested the other month at 70wpm and 15 years office experience. My husband lost his job but has gained another one, I think in the trades they are used to Poms but not so much in Admin - may be I am wrong. I have seen a couple of jobs advertised lately asking for residents - locals -only to apply. One was a for a Receptionist position. I thought that there was discrimination laws for that kind of thing!

Title
      Liked
      198 times
      Rep
      [quote=C&Z;77145]
      Quote Originally Posted by rockpool crab View Post
      Hi there,
      . I am just looking for real reasons as to why I'm not being shortlisted.

Because your not Australian I reckon. Sorry to blunt, I am in the same position as you, typed tested the other month at 70wpm and 15 years office experience. My husband lost his job but has gained another one, I think in the trades they are used to Poms but not so much in Admin - may be I am wrong. I have seen a couple of jobs advertised lately asking for residents - locals -only to apply. One was a for a Receptionist position. I thought that there was discrimination laws for that kind of thing!
      thats terrible
      clare 39 clinical nurse educator, Rn/mhn, Alex 7

Title
      Liked
      181 times
      Rep
      Residents means someone who lives here and all of us fit the bill. Residents generally applies to permanent residents as employers don't want to be asked to sponsor people who might leave as the costs are high. In certain areas you must be a citizen to get a job like in Centrelink. Trades might be used to poms but that has nothing to do with whether or not you get a job.

I am quite disturbed about how Aussie bashing this thread has become. You don't get a job, shame. I know when you are strapped for cash, the matter becomes pressing but with the best will in the world, no employer has to explain their decision for giving someone or not giving someone a job. There is no point getting upset and challenging anyone over it. And accusing someone of being racist and not giving you a job because you are English, well, to be blunt, get over yourself.

It took me a year to find a job and I applied for soooo many. I rang up several people to ask for feedback on my application, not ask them to justify their decision, and most would not reply. I have no idea why my application wasn't successful and it didn't really help me at the time not knowing either. You didn't get that job coz the employer didn't want you. Someone else might but that employer isn't going to change his mind so having a go is useless.

In some cases, it boils down to your references. If you do not have an Aussie reference, it will cause some issues because the possible employers won't wit until the end of their business day to make a phone call back to the UK when within 5 mins they can have the info they want by making a phone call in Aus.

You may be a great employee, but until you have a job in Australia that proves it, getting angry or having a go won't help. And it doesn't matter what job it is, any job will give you a reference.

Overexperienced is similar to overqualified and is code for might want more money so we'll get someone cheaper instead. The recession is having an impact all over the place.
      Lea, Guest75 and Diane like this.

cornish Busdriver
      Great points Lib.
      Totally agree with you.

sarahsmartiepants
      I agree too Libby, we know no one when we arrive and sometimes I think people believe "my job is on the demand list I will fall into work" or "they will be waiting for me with open arms" But there is no one waiting at the airport ready to snap you up !
      It takes a while ti re - establish yourself here and a potential employer might also think you could bugga off back at any moment.

kangomik
      I think your spot on there Libby.

Well written.

Many employers will not give a reason why incase of legal implications, and to be honest if you did not get a job in the UK how many times did you follow it up?

Title
      Liked
      243 times
      Rep
      Good post Libby........you've made some very good points.

I also agree with what others have said.... that sometimes things happen through word of mouth or who you know.

My first job here was with Aussie Car Rentals. We'd got to know Brian very well, and he offered me some part-time work. I had decided to go back to college and learn some new skills which would add to my admin knowledge. So Brian suggested I do a few hours for him a week, which would get me some aussie work experience.

Well....it helped greatly....

We as a family have been very lucky.....dont know if it's the field we work in or not? Jon as a Chef has never been out of work since we arrived.......okay he started off working part-time/casual at first for a few weeks until a permanent position came up. But for over 3 years now, he has been in permanent full-time employment.

In that same time, i have mostly worked....all part-time admin work. But it did take me all that time to secure permanent part-time work.

Good luck to everyone
      Arrived November 2005........live in Happy Valley

•  
    Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Copyright © 2006 - 2015 Australia Migration Forums