My first week in work.

Guest Martin and Val

Guest Martin and Val

Well, I’ve just finished my first week in work and after 5 months of holiday I needed to get back to doing something!

I started with six other people and even though it’s only a temporary position we are all hoping for it to become something more, but for now at least we have 14 weeks work and something else to add to our CV’s.

It’s a great atmosphere, very relaxed and easy going, everybody is friendly and we are looking forward to the BBQ that the boss has promised us for our welcome party. It’s so different to the UK, we soon built up good relationships with each other and it feels as though we have worked together for a long time.

My message to all those still looking is keep plugging away it may take a while but when you find something the sun will shine again.

Cheers

Martin:D

Guest lippy

Good luck Martin

Hope it goes further than the promised 14 weeks!

I have been temping for the same company since October in what started as a three day week (Mon, Wed & Fri) and an ongoing contract. After a few weeks my hours were increased to full-time and as of Monday, I start with them as a full time permanent member of staff. From hours that weren't great I have now landed a good job with a great group of people that have made me feel welcome to the extent I feel I know them better than the folk I worked with back in the UK for the past twenty years!

Here's to the future and all it brings!

Good luck

Julie

• 4 weeks later...
Well, I’ve just finished my first week in work and after 5 months of holiday I needed to get back to doing something!

I started with six other people and even though it’s only a temporary position we are all hoping for it to become something more, but for now at least we have 14 weeks work and something else to add to our CV’s.

It’s a great atmosphere, very relaxed and easy going, everybody is friendly and we are looking forward to the BBQ that the boss has promised us for our welcome party. It’s so different to the UK, we soon built up good relationships with each other and it feels as though we have worked together for a long time.

My message to all those still looking is keep plugging away it may take a while but when you find something the sun will shine again.

Cheers

Martin:D

Thats great Martin where you working?

Guest Django

Nice one Martin. Really pleased its going well. One thing leads to another so hopefully this job will lead to something more permanent for you. I start my first Aussie job next Monday and to be honest I can't wait.

Good on ya and enjoy the BBQ. Can't see many firms in the UK doing anything similar.

Pete

Guest Martin and Val

Well,

This post seems to have re-surfaced- I'm now actually in my 4th week and still loving every minuet of it. It's a great feeling when you finally get the first Aussie wage packet especially after the best part of half a years holiday!

In answer to some of the posts received:

Hayshake: Pleased your enjoying the retirement, I wish Val would let me retire!:biglaugh:

KP Nuts: I certainly am enjoying it, every minuet of it!

lippy: Congratulations on the permanent role and good luck for the future.

tina&steve: Centrelink but it's only temp through an agent.

BAZnDAF: Cheers, thank you.

scooterdan: Cheers Dan.

Django: Cheers Pete, good luck for Monday mate, I'm sure you'll love it. It's a great feeling to get out there and do something worth while again.

cazzie: Thanks Cazzie and Bill, hope the study is going well.

wemadeit: Thank you, I now have 10 weeks remaining and unfortunately it won't become permanent but it may lead to to more work, fingers crossed.

All those looking for work, it will happen and if the past week is anything to go by things are getting better, I think at least 4 posts last week say they got jobs!

It was good news week!!:D

Good luck everyone.

Martin