job recruiters?

Guest tracynsteve

Guest tracynsteve

hi,has anyone used job recuiters from this end to oz?don't seem to be much advertised for painters and decorators in adeleide.thanks.steve.:confused:

Guest dglamoore

We have seen loads of jobs in local paper for painters and decorators. It is not as easy to see the jobs that are actually around from the uk :o Greg was talking to someone down his unit today about friends of ours coming over that is a P/D and he said he will have no trouble finding work

Lisa:cool:

Guest chippie74
We have seen loads of jobs in local paper for painters and decorators. It is not as easy to see the jobs that are actually around from the uk :o Greg was talking to someone down his unit today about friends of ours coming over that is a P/D and he said he will have no trouble finding work

sorry to jump the thread..but hows work for chippies/joiners ....only 8 weeks left in the uk..not thou im counting :D

Guest tracynsteve

hi,thankyou so much for that,we were starting to get worried.can i just ask do you know if most jobs are award like minimal wages?also a bit worrying.thanks.steve.

Guest Tina

Hi Lisa,

:rolleyes: thanks for this info my OH is a painter & decorator and this info will give him a bit of a boost,.

thanks

Tina

Guest Russfamily

from what i can remember an award wage is a wage set by the relevent body that governs your trade, its like a standard wage that that person in that trade should get. its not a minimum wage or the best wage

Guest soggy

Hi all, im a painter and decorator and have been in touch with several agencies in Adelaide as part of my reserch for sponsorship, they tell me that they dont normally deal with that type of trade and that decorating and building companies recruit directly, they did say there is plenty of work around.

The award wages seem to be around 650 AUD a week, but i have seen jobs advertised in Adelaide messenger for 250 AUD a day for licenced painters, to get a licence it is a bit like doing TRA again plus they like to inspect a couple of jobs if possible. Im sure we will be able to get work at a decent rate, although getting a licence seems to be the way to go.

Simon

Guest Aussiebound

Our friend in Adelaide has posted us the local paper with recruitement in, when it arrives I will PM you some of the jobs advertised.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tracynsteve

HI SARAH,DID YOU EVER RECIEVE THAT NEWSPAPER WITH PAINTER & DECORATOR JOBS IN? DESPERATE TO KNOW THE WAGES!!!HAVE FROM $650- $1250 PER WEEK.$650 IS REALLY LOW,COULDN'T EVEN GET A MORGAGE WITH IT!!!!!THANKS TRACY.

Guest stufi1997
:D Hi Tracy and Steve, my god all of a sudden there seem to be loads of us decorators so i hope there is plenty of work for us ?:o a good thread though, and as for not getting a mortgage on 650 aus dolls well i don't know iv'e managed mine on 240 squid a week with 3 brats and a car, thats just the wages up here.... guess we picked the wrong trade!:( We could always start a new company?:D

Guest soggy

the web site bellow had 3 jobs 2 say award wages and this one, people should remember that the average wage in SA is about $40000, these wages seem low but im sure we could live on them while we find the good job we all want.

Simon

http://alljobs.com.au/

Experienced painter and decorator required for business based in Lewiston. Work can be in metro and country areas. Car licence and/or transport not essential but successful applicant will be required to be at Lewiston at 6.15am to get a lift in the work vehicle. $18ph, 40+hours per week, weekend work available. All tools supplied. To apply: email JSID and resume to vsimpson@employmentdirections.com.au.

Guest Aussiebound
HI SARAH,DID YOU EVER RECIEVE THAT NEWSPAPER WITH PAINTER & DECORATOR JOBS IN? DESPERATE TO KNOW THE WAGES!!!HAVE FROM $650- $1250 PER WEEK.$650 IS REALLY LOW,COULDN'T EVEN GET A MORGAGE WITH IT!!!!!THANKS TRACY.

We got the paper last saturday but have been so busy getting ready for hols I forgot to post any details.

Sorry!

There was some jobs listed for Painters & Decorators but none had any salaries or area in SA that the position was. They all seem very secretive with these details!

Not much help to us over here.

Did have loads of info though about house prices and supermarket prices etc. Will start a thread with them on when we get back from hols.

Sorry not to be of anymore help.

Sarah

This might be useful:

To work as a painter and decorator in South Australia you do not need to meet any mandatory licensing or registration requirements unless you become self-employed. Therefore you should be able to gain work based on your skills and experience. However, if you would like to work as a contractor or subcontractor, you will need to apply for a Building Works Contractors License. Please see the attached fact sheet which contains information about how to obtain the contractors license. To obtain it, you will need to successfully complete two Business Units with a registered training provider.

www.ocba.sa.gov.au/licensing

Angela

• 4 weeks later...
Guest hemble

Hi Angela,

Unfortunately I do not have the qualifications to obtain a visa. I was wondering whether it is worth obtaining a study visa and learn one of the skills required. I will be landing in Adelaide in October on a tourist visa.

Any information would be great as I am quite concerned.

Thanks

Hem

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi guys

Have been reading and observing this thread with interest.

My husband is a carpenter and when we were in the UK found pretty much the same thing - difficult to get information about salaries and to apply for jobs from the UK.

We have been here 14 months and Keith got a job 2 weeks after being here - just casual and part-time and not paying a fortune - but it has served us well. BUT cost of living is much cheaper here and you don't need so much money to live. Obviously that does not help if you need to get a mortgage I know.

Keith is currently applying for a new job because current one coming to an end and there are about 4-6 jobs each week in The Advertiser and The Messanger for carpenters/cabinet makers. Yes, you can get a license for this trade if you want to work alone or be a contractor and this is the same for any trade.

There is lots of work here (if you want to work), there is so much building work going on it is not funny. Keith has not yet approached the building companies direct because I don't think he needs to but they seem to have a great respect for Brit tradespeople.

The recruitment agencies here seem a bit half hearted about things (I can say that because I worked in recruitment in the UK for 10 years), so my advice would be to get here and hit the ground running and apply for everything and if your first job is not right, move onto something else. Keith rushed into his first job just to get an idea of the Ozzie work ethic and it has stood him in good stead.

Sorry, have I gone on a bit too much?

Hope this helps someone.

Regs

Sas

Guest taylor family

;)Hi to all trades men I work as a sewer drainer and the plumbing firm that I work for does 20 new house drains every week and there must be about 5 major plumbing companies doing the same each week so that tells you how much work there is to go at.

Also in the north of the city there is to be a big land release to build new homes for all the armed forces that serve overseas so the future is good for all.

Hope that puts a few minds at rest all the best to you all in the future alan and laura taylor aberfoyle park .

:):):)