Who writes the CV's?

Guest GAFFBAM

Guest GAFFBAM

Hi everyone I know that somebody on this site writes CV's in exchange for Amazon books? I'm moving over in May and I'm hoping she'll be able to resurrect my career?

Thanking you all as always

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HRHelp

I don't write CV's in exchange for Amazon books - but I cna probabaly put you in touch with someone who cna help free depending on where you will be living - any ideas? North? South?

I don't write CV's in exchange for Amazon books - but I cna probabaly put you in touch with someone who cna help free depending on where you will be living - any ideas? North? South?

So Development at Work (below) revises people's Resumes for free with no obligation as to anything else? From the web site, it looks like they are an HR site for organisations. Or is it another person you know you have a Resume Review/Writing business where they offer their services for free?

Or do they simply have a look over rather than do all of the actual re-writing?

http://www.developmentatwork.com/

Guest HRHelp

In answer to the question - the help I am referring to on this website (resume writing etc) comes from many different sources - including HR Development at Work. We provide some free services in Adelaide (South and West), others provide services in North/East. These services are free for participants. But yes we are a business and so we also provide other services - primarily outplacement services which are paid for by the companies making redundancies. I hope that makes things clear!

Yes somewhat. I would just find it hard to believe a comprehensive resume revision service is being offered for free as I spend hours on each resume I revise. I have also used career development services and they tend to do a very quick once over of resumes/CVs and are more interested in providing their other services for payment than resume revision for free. Not that I don't doubt your organisation has something valuable to offer; just wanting to clarify on the one point. And as you say 'These services are free for participants.' it implies they must join up to/pay for something else.

My OH's ex-company paid for outplacement consultants to talk to all the people they laid off - as far as I know, none of the consultants helped them find jobs at all! Obviously I can't tar them all with the same brush, but I have seen several posts on here from people who had Suzer help them with their CV's and credited that completely with them being able to find jobs shortly afterwards! Worth paying for a good service I reckon when it's something as competitive as the jobs market these days!

Guest covfan71
Happy to help both of you and thanks for the suggestion:)

Suzer

Hi Suzer

are the CV's in Oz different to the ones in the UK? I have recently completed a resettlement course from my current job in preparation for leaving the Forces and a great deal was focused on CV's. My CV is very good (or so my Advisor says) but i'd hate for it to be no good in Oz

Hi Suzer

are the CV's in Oz different to the ones in the UK? I have recently completed a resettlement course from my current job in preparation for leaving the Forces and a great deal was focused on CV's. My CV is very good (or so my Advisor says) but i'd hate for it to be no good in Oz

Yes, in relation to content they are (more so than formatting, although formatting is important). Have a look at my web site for some free tips.

I'm always happy to have a look over and let you know if it needs work, then if you want me to work on it...well, look at the site. I shouldn't say much on this post as I don't want to advertise here.

Guest Libby1971

Suzer I dispute this. I have not changed my CV/ resume one iota since I arrived and I have had no problem with it. The format makes no difference and if it is industry specific, then in the short term why create work for yourself.

I also question why you seem to be upset at the HR bloke offering their services when you are doing the same. You both charge for it. You don't have a set fee but people still have to give you something for it so if they are more open...I don't understand :confused:

Suzer I dispute this. I have not changed my CV/ resume one iota since I arrived and I have had no problem with it. The format makes no difference and if it is industry specific, then in the short term why create work for yourself.

I also question why you seem to be upset at the HR bloke offering their services when you are doing the same. You both charge for it. You don't have a set fee but people still have to give you something for it so if they are more open...I don't understand :confused:

Libby sorry but will also have to disagree with you as I work in Government, have acquiantences who are employment consultants, work in HR, and are higher level managers who do the hiring, and have sat on a few selection panels as well as written selection reports, so I know for certain there are differences. I do know what I'm doing and have researched it all quite a bit. Perhaps your CV/Resume was written very well to begin with, which is quite possible. Format does make a difference, particularly in regards to how easy your resume is to 'read'.

Not upset at the other 'bloke', but don't like to see people misled which is why I asked questions.

And...sure I like getting the business, and I love getting the books, but I also like knowing what I do is going to make the difference in a fellow expat getting a job. It's a crappier market out there than normal and we all need all the help we can get, especially us expats, particularly as Adelaide is such a tightly knit place.

Guest Guest75

Hi Suzer.

I might be able to help here.

I've been in touch with Onkaparinga Council over the last few months to see how they can increase new arrival's job prospects.

HR Help was advised to contact me and I've spoken to her on the phone.As far as I am aware at this stage her services are free.

Part of a strategy involving Onkaparinga and Marion Councils to create more job opportunities and help local businesses create more work here.

I thought it was a little too good to be true but there are is a movement here down south to actively help people find work / create jobs - free of charge.

I've had meetings at Onkaparinga Council with the head people involved and believe what they say.

If the situation is different I'll be the first to stand/sit corrected.

It was I who suggested people such as HR Help come into the forum to offer such free help.

I did ask the Mods for their blessing on this.

There is a lot of very good advice and free help available here down south to enable people to find work much more easier - I though it was a great idea for new arrivals.

HTH.

;);)