primary schools in west lakes, henley beach or surrounding areas

Guest amcg

Guest amcg

Would be grateful if anyone could let me know what the primary schools are like in this area.

Also, for the catholic schools (or even the state schools), do you have to reside in the area to be allocated a place?

Does anyone know what the policy/criteria is to obtain a place as we are finding it difficult to obtain a place in this area for our 2 children aged 6 and 10.

Grateful for any advice.

Guest Mick and Helen

From our experience you have to live in the catchment areas for State Schools the state schools in these areas are very good, cannot comment on the private schools,hope this helps

Guest Kazzarazza

Hi there,

West Lakes Shore school has a very good reputaion. I also believe there are quite a lot of ex-pat British kids already at the school too. A lot of the UK Police recruits have settled in this area as it is close to the Police Academy they go to when they first arrive.

The website for the school is www.westlakes.sa.edu.au Later on, I understand Henley High is also a very good.

Not too far away (Findon/Flinders Park area) you may want to check out Nazareth Catholic college. This has recently been formed, under this name, and is an amalgamation of 4 local catholic schools to form one school from Reception to Year 12. There web site is www.nazareth-catholic.org.au

Hope you find it useful.

According to the government website the only primary schools in the western suburbs that are zoned are Grange, Largs Bay, Lockleys North and West Lakes Shore.

see http://www.decs.sa.gov.au/locs/pages/default/PS_Zoning_Region_04/

there are even links into the maps of the zones.

As for Catholic schools, have no idea whether they are zoned but I wouldn't think so. My OH's nephews and niece all went/go to Star of the Sea Catholic Primary in Henley Beach which says it covers Henley Beach, Grange, West Lakes, Tennyson, West Beach, and Fulham. see http://www.star.adl.catholic.edu.au/index.html

After Star of the Sea they have gone on to St Michaels secondary in Henley Beach, although it has a primary school in Beverley. see http://www.smc.sa.edu.au/

Guest Russfamily

St Michaels college in Henley Beach is a senior school private over 6k a year, it has a primary college in Beverley for the infants and juniors which is also 6k a year. The tution and facilities there are fantastic.

Catholic schools are private schools and therefore are not zoned. Nazareth is all new, has been open only about 2 years I think. ( but who chose the yellow jumpers as part of the uniform????!!!!) St Michaels junior school is boys only still but the senior is coed. State primary schools only enforce the zoning if they are at full capacity. State high schools are different and the nost popular are strictly zoned with waiting lists for those not in the area.

Guest Lee and Claire

Hi there, my son goes to Lockleys Primary (not North) and it's a really good little school. There are only about 120 students so it's not overwhelming with lots of kids.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DawnW

Can't help with West Lakes. Toured West Beach school. Heather Tiivas (Principal) very personable, but in my opinion the school was looking under funded and personally I found the sense of discipline and respect a little lax. Haven't toured Henley Beach South yet but I was very impressed by the Principal Shane Misso when I had a brief conversation in person recently. (As an aside, I found North Adelaide Primary lovely and would have no hesitation in placing my children there but we've now decided to live closer to the coast). If anyone has views on Grange Schools, North Fulham Primary, Fulham Gardens and their associated high schools I would very much appreciate it as I am getting mixed reviews about high schools in this area. Thanks very much.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jon T

I very much agree with Dawn W about North Adelaide Primary and West Beach. Both our kids went to North Adelaide prior to moving closer to the coast. It is a wonderful school. We have friends whose kids are at West Beach and they are considering moving them.

My youngest one has attended Fulham North Primary for the last few years and is doing very well there. The teaching staff are excellent and the Princial, Mr Mark Ireland, does a great job. They have recently been granted quite a bit of funding and are about to start work on an upgrade to the facilities.

My oldest attended Henley High until very recently, when we moved her to private school. Henley has a resonable reputation as a public school and has a great sports/dance program. It also has some great facilities due to a huge upgrade about 18 months ago. That said, I really wouldn't recommend it based on our experiences as they were not great. I found the culture at the school did not promote the values I want formy kids and some of the teaching staff were pretty uncommited. I guess it comes down to what your expectations are.

Hope this helps.