Advice needed

Guest Jakespa

Guest Jakespa

Hi Everyone. Our son Simon is just 16. He starts sixth form here in the UK in Sept. The master plan is that he does one year here and then his final year in aus and sits the aus version of "A" levels.

Not sure how feasable this is anyone with any ideas ?

The alternative is to put the whole move back a year...argh.

The normal cost should apply as this is still secondary education.

Fred

Hi Fred

Just to make things a little clearer for people to help. Where are you up to with the visa? Are you able to come to S.A in a years time?

Judi x

Guest Jakespa

Hi Judi

Kathy has just gathered all he references etc to be sent off. So we are very early into it. Looking at the times that things take we should be there next aug/Sept

Fred

Guest sarahsmartiepants

When we came here my son had been doing his "A" levels for 6 months, we and he had decided that as soon as we got to oz he would start school again, and also go "back" a year and start in yr 11.

Just for background he was doing Physics, geology, maths and geography "A" levels. He wasnt doing very well in physics because at secondry school they only taught combined science, hence he didnt have any early knowledge of physics ( another failing in UK schools).

To go to uni here you must pass a SACE exam and do a certain amount of units to achieve you TER entry mark.

When our son started, the school yr was already 5 mths in. He found it a struggle to catch up on that, let alone catch up on everything else. He is now coming to the end of yr12. He feels he has learnt more at school here than he did in the uK, the work load is very high, but he has chosen 5 of what they call "suicide" subjects!!! Physics, maths, chemistry, legal and economics.

So I would recomend going back and starting in yr 11 because of the work load. You can get status for GCSEs which means these count towards the SACE. Being older in the school year seems to be no problem to anyone here. The school mine go to have different ages in yrs11 &12.

Also I have heard parents here say the schooling is not so good and their children are well in front, I think that is correct for the younger years but in most cases here the kids in my twos classes where further advanced.

There are some web sites you can go to, I cant do links, but one is SSABSA, you can also try the gov web site.

sarah

Guest Jakespa

Thanks for all that info. You have set our mind at rest. Have just spoken to Simon, after an initial huh ! he now see`s the logic of going back and starting year 11. The suicide subjects fit in perfectly with the subjects that he is starting here.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Fred

Please remember these are my opinions, they have been people that have put their children to start in yr11 and said the work is easy! But usually they are doing the easier subjects like media based and social based subjects.

I know teachers here who have told me yrs11 &12 are harder than uni!

sarah

Guest the terry's

Hi, we are sort of in the same situation but youngest son who will be 16, if we get our visa's, when we go but he wants to learn a trade, do you know what it's like, he goes to college on a 2 hr release from school which not long enough really, would he fit in ok, any advice gratefully received.

Guest Jakespa
Fred

Please remember these are my opinions, they have been people that have put their children to start in yr11 and said the work is easy! But usually they are doing the easier subjects like media based and social based subjects.

I know teachers here who have told me yrs11 &12 are harder than uni!

sarah

Thanks sarah,

Fortunatly Simon is a clever lad, He is taking maths Physics, Double science, Philosophy Etc starting Sept. His worry is the English subjects, he fretted a bit about getting the required b`s to get into his sixth form. ....Anyway HE IS GOING

Fred

Guest Zippy

Hi Fred,

There is a school in the city (Eynesbury College) which is just a senior college - ie year 11, 12, and 13.

They are not typical high schools - there are no uniforms, no bells, and 2 hour lessons (each subject has two 2 hour lessons per week, and there are 5 subjects in your final year, year 12).

They consistently achieve some of the top marks in the state and have a whole lot of students from around the world and Australia. & they have a whole range of subjects. The teachers are all of a high standard.

May be worth an investigation if your son doesn't want to repeat (note he can do year 12 over two years at these schools), or if he wants a more relaxed schooling time (it's considered a school between high school and uni). The thing about these schools is everyone goes there for the first time when they are 16, 17, or 18 so your son wouldn't feel like he's a newbie amongst established groups of friends.

Otherwise, if you're looking for a public high school, I think you could still find a school that would take your son in year 12. Just note that year 13 is becoming more accepted and common if he wants to try doing year 12 (without repeating year 11), but finds his results aren't as good as he wanted or he just wants to take a half-load.

There is a great site called SA Central (look it up on google if you want to find it) which has a list of all schools in SA for further info.

Cheers,

Elise