What School Year????

Guest bishop3912

Guest bishop3912

So sorry if this question has been asked one too many times, but I am getting myself and my OH really confused!!!!! (It doesnt take a lot lol!!!).

I have two children that are currently of Oz school age (the other two are too young), One has just turned 8 (born year July 2001) and the other is 6 (born Jan 2003). The 8 year old has just finnished year 3 (to go into year 4 in Sept in UK) and the 6 year old has just finnished year 1 (to go into year 2 in Sept in UK). We are aiming to fly out on 27 Sept 09 and dont know what school year they will go into in Oz, can anyone help ????

Thanks Corinne x:wubclub:

We came out in the August and what happened was the kids went into the year they'd finished in the July in the UK, so work on the basis that the 8 year old will do a bit more Year 3 (till December) then go into Year 4 in January, and the 6 year old will do the rest of 2009 in Year 1. That way, they'll be more or less the same age as their classmates, and it will give them a chance to settle in socially before having to face too challenging work.

Chat to the school(s) you choose anyway to see what they think is best, and discuss the pros and cons of mixed age classes, which are popular here - putting the 8 year old in a Year 3/4 class for the rest of the year may be a good idea, as he will have Year 3 expectations, with the possibility of Year 4 challenges if neccessary (that doesn't mean, by the way that he'll do two years at a time, just that he'll be a Year 3 in a 3/4 class, and next year be a Year 4 in a Year 4, a 3/4 or a 4/5 class!) - hope that makes sense!

D

Guest bishop3912

THanks DIane, does make sense, they so split classes at their current school now anyway so Millie has just finnished her year 3 in a 3/4 split. As long as they are with kids the same age I dont mind. Thanks again C x

Guest kangomik

Yes most if not all go back one year, it's beacuse they start at a later age here i think.

Don't worry about it, they still learn plenty.

Guest bishop3912
Hi Corinne - sorry for changing the sex of your daughter in my reply above! Give my love to Colchester (I used to work at Layer Marney Tower just on the outskirts)

D

xx

lol you werent to know!! I love Layer Marney Tower its just down the road from us, we are in West Mersea. C xx:)

Hi All.

Just wanted to know if anyone could shed sole light on school fees. I have 2 children, Kieran has just finished year 1 and Maya was due to start reception in Sept. Both kids will be going into primary school. Does anyone know what school fees brits will have to pay.

Depends on what school you put them in, Our girls are in state primary and we paid $230 each for school fees for books etc and of course we pay extra for school trips etc. A private school will cost you more. We looked a an United Church of Australia school ( basically C of E) and that was about $1700 each but that did include trips.

As for school years, we arrived in the Jan 08 and the girls went into the year they left, they had already done a term in England in year 4 and 2 so went into those classes over here. However It can be suck and see, my eldest was complety bored and had already done lots of the similar work, which is why I requested this year a 5/6 mix so she can be given more challenging work, and the youngest although is in year 3 is the youngest and perhaps should be in year 2.

They do start school later here and have to do so many terms in reception before they move to year 1, I might be worng but I think it might be 5 terms, however remember that over here we have 4 terms a year, each of about 10 weeks, with no half terms in the middle. Unlike England which has 3 terms and plenty of half terms, so sometimes the terms can seem long for the kids.

Hope that helps a little

Jo x:wubclub:

arh thanks Jo, puts my mind at ease, we are looking at Athelstone Primary, which I think is a State school.

would the fees depend on what visa you have we are coming on a temp visa, and would hopefully like to have PR in the future. Would the fees still have to be paid when you are a PR?

Guest kellyp

Hi

My kids are in state school and I am paying the same, now that I am permanent, as when I was on a temporary visa so it seems there is no difference.

Kelly

Guest covfan71

Can anyone please tell me what age children start school? My daughter will be 4 (Aug 26th) when we come over next September. I am hoping she wil start school the following January. (the year she turns 5). Gonna cost me a lot of unexpected nursery fees if not.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
Guest covfan71
Children start school the term after their 5th birthday here- most schools have an intake each term.

So your daughter should start in Term 4 (October) when she is 5.

Lea

At last someone has bothered to answer my question. thanks. So she will start school towards the end of a school year. But what school year will she be in. Will she have a fresh start in the January in a new school year (yr 2) or start year 1 again?

Hope that makes sense

I think when she starts school she will start in Reception. Primary goes Reception, then Years 1 through to 7 inclusive (most schools anyway), and High School is Year 8 to 12.

I think if your daughter starts in the October term, she would normally be expected to do that term, then the whole of the following year in Reception until going up to Year 1. Private schools may differ so it may be worth speaking to individual schools.

Diane

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest juliet adams

Hi there

I'm in the same dilemma. My boys are Ross 10 in october and Rory was 12 in June. We fly out on the 27th too!!!Are you flying from Heathrow? From what I have found out Rory will spend the last few months back in Primary which won't do him any harm. Good luck with your move

Juliet

x