Skoolin Dillema

Guest The Guvnor

Guest The Guvnor

Chaps (and Chapesses), although its likely to be between 12 and 18 months before (or indeed IF) we get the nod, I have a 14 year old son who starts his GCSE years in September. I've beeb told that the Australian school system starts they're exam years a year later than in the UK (i.e. finishing secondary education when the kids are 17 rather than 16). Is this true or should we wait until he's finished his exams here? Also, whats the edukashun like in Adelaide? Could all be academic of course;)

:confused:

Guest the terry's

Hello guvnor, we've got a son who's on his last year of GCSE's and he'll be 16 when and if we get the nod as you put it. As far as we are aware they still finish school at 16 but they generally stay on into their equivalent of 6th form or go onto vocational or other colleges, or the tafe colleges. Our son wants to learn a trade, so when we get there he'll attend a vocational college. Does your son know what he wants to do? The Terry's.

Guest The Guvnor

hi there. believe it or not he wants to be a stand-up comedian!! or a journalist but not really made up his mind yet. Thanks for this as it kinda makes sense. He's more of the academic type (must get it from his mum) and as Adelaide has 3 uni's, if he chooses this route he at least has plenty of choice. What area of SA are you thinking of moving to?

Guest the terry's

Not too sure, Morphett Vale seems family friendly, but as son will be going to tafe college in heart of Adelaide I don't want him to travel too far, but on the other hand I dont want to be in a too built up area, want a bigish garden if poss. When did you make the decision to GO !

Guest The Guvnor
Not too sure' date=' Morphett Vale seems family friendly, but as son will be going to tafe college in heart of Adelaide I don't want him to travel too far, but on the other hand I dont want to be in a too built up area, want a bigish garden if poss. When did you make the decision to GO ![/quote']

Hi, bin on the road all week so just surfed back in!

Made the decision to go in February when we came back from our daughters wedding but took us until beginning of July to complete the paperwork and get it sent. Morphett Vale seems a nice place and just down the road from my daughters place. Its also not too far from the train stations at Christie Downs or Lonsdale so useful for the Tafe I would think (I think ita around 30mins to the city centre from there). Old Reynella also looks nice and when I was there last I tried to buy a house (in anticipation), 4 bedrooms, formal lounge and dining, family room, kitchen diner, double garage, rumpus room and a pool for equivelant of £150k! but after contacting Canberra, was advised that non- residents could only buy new builds or land to be built on in 12months.Also like Hallett Cove though this seems a little more expensive. Either way at this stage I would choose one of the southern suburbs. How about you?