worried :S

Guest jess112

Guest jess112

Hi, I'm jess and i'm a 14 year old twin. Our parents are looking to move to Australia, however i'm really unsure about moving. :unsure: I'd like to know what the schools are like over there, and what the lifestyle is like? Also what teenagers do in their free time? i'm in year 10 in the UK, but i'm unsure whether i'd go into year 9 or 10 over there. I'm really unsure on moving, and whether its the right thing to do? is there anyone in a similar situation as me? or anyone with any info?

I'd appreciate your help and comments :v_SPIN:

Jessx

Guest Lisajonesey

Hi Jess,

It's perfectly normal to feel like that.

I'm 10 years older than you.. but I remember when I was in year 10, my best friend moved over here. She was gutted. In fact, we both were - but we kept in touch.

We would email all the time, and I really enjoyed hearing about what she was up to.

It took her a few months to settle in - I think she was a bit homesick, but she made loads of new friends really quickly. I think it can be quite cool having a fresh e start at your age.. I remember everyone loving my friends accent!!

She is still in Australia, and now I've moved out here too, and we're arranging to meet up in a month. She said she's never looked back, and LOVES it here. She's a teacher now, and is married. She says her mum always said they were coming out here for a better life, and that's exactly what she's got.

I know it's different for everyone, but I just wanted you to know that it could be the start of something really exciting for you!

Lisa.:cute:

p.s it is nerve-wracking - even for adults - but once you're hear, you can settle down quickly and then you see the sea... and all those nerves can dissapear. Just remember - you can still keep in touch with your friends, really easily - you're not moving to the moon!

Guest The Steeles In Adelaide

Hi Jess

My son is 14 yrs old and felt the same about the move! We have been here 9 months and are really happy, after 2 months of being here i asked him do you like it here? or would you like to go home to uk. His answer was dad this is Home now! now after 9 months he has already told us that should we ever decide to return to uk then he would like to stay here!!!

Hope you enjoy your adventure

Dave and family

Hi Jess,

You are bound to feel like this, it is perfectly normal. I am an old lady and I felt just the same as you when I was coming out here a year ago. I missed my family very much and still do, but I still really like it here and feel much more settled now. You will meet lots of other families just like your own and when you meet other young people your own age, you will feel much more settled. You will love the lifestyle that's for sure. I wish you lots of luck in your move to Australia. It will be hard to leave behind the people you are fond of, but once you are here, you will soon look ahead and be excited will all that Australia has to offer you.

Guest Aussie pat

Hi Jess,

Our 13 yo daughter start school over here this Feb in Year 7. She started Year 8 in the UK Sept 2008. She was convinced her Aussie school wouldn't be as good as the one she left in England.... She is now really happy and has to be careful when she communicates with her UK friends as she doesn't want to let on just how much she is enjoying things. She was ahead in some subjects but has still settled really well and is finding school really stimulating and fun. She's also made lots of friends and says she'd make us leave her behind if we decided to go back. Hope this is of help.