Argh - Childcare shut 4th-11th Jan.....

Guest ben&sharon

Guest ben&sharon

Just found out that our full-time childcare takes a two week break over the Christmas period until the 11th Jan. Are there any other two-working-parent families out there who have come across this problem?

We have no way of taking time off - I'm an accountant with a year-end to do and my OH works in retail, so obviously a busy time. Can anyone recommend any alternatives?

This is the first bit of stress I've had to deal with since getting here and it's not going down well......... :arghh::arghh:

S x

Sorry to say, but think you will find its pretty much standard practice......When i used childcare, they were always closed for 2 weeks over xmas....we always had to make sure we made arrangements...i.e. one of us took the time off...

Unfortunately, i dont have any suggestions for you....

School vacation care also closes down for a period over xmas/new year.

I think its fair enough, as childcare workers want to spend time with their families as does the rest of us.....

Guest ben&sharon

:arghh: Thanks for the input! If it was any other week of the year we could cope with it, but my whole year of work leads up to that week and my husband's company has a policy of no holidays to be taken in Jan..... We're going to have to have a long hard chat with our employers or start thinking about flying my mum out from NZ!!

S x

Community child care centres shut for 2 weeks over xmas, however private centres like ABC,stepping stones etc just close for the public holidays.

I did wonder if it was just the community child care centres that shut....my son went to both Hallett Cove & Happy Valley....which are community centres...and they always shut for 2 weeks.

And yes...the schools vacation care clubs close for around 2 weeks as well....

It is a problem for working parents...not doubt about it.....fortunately, we have always managed to cover it...but then we are both lucky to be in jobs that makes it easy to take 2 weeks off over xmas.....

Many employers, including some Public Service, choose to close at Christmas until after New Year for two weeks and need their employees to take time off during this period, whether they have children or not.

Many people we know take several more weeks at this time for their annual beach holiday. It is hard to get anything done in SA between Christmas and mid January.

Guest ben&sharon
Community child care centres shut for 2 weeks over xmas, however private centres like ABC,stepping stones etc just close for the public holidays.

Urgh - so now I've found the downside to choosing a not-for-profit organisation over and above a private company......... :arghh: Guess we'll just have to work something out between us..............

Thanks everyone!

Guest The Pickles

Our private child daycare (Montessori) closes for 4 weeks during Christmas and January... indeed, not ideal for parents who both have to work full time. Luckily (or not) for us, both of us aren't working ... yet!

hi you live in popular area why not see if any nursery nurses from uk on here who may be able to help you out there maybe someone in your area looking for work in this field just a thought !!

Guest ben&sharon
Our private child daycare (Montessori) closes for 4 weeks during Christmas and January... indeed, not ideal for parents who both have to work full time. Luckily (or not) for us, both of us aren't working ... yet!

4 weeks! Christ. We'd never manage to cope with that. What happens if you both score jobs before then?

Guest ben&sharon
try the following website, lists lots of different types of childcare: from nannies to babysittershttp://www.careforkids.com.au. Then fire off lots of emails/phone calls to see what responses you get.

Thanks for digging out the website for me Catrin. But having thought it through a bit, we don't really want to put him with someone he doesn't know for the sake of just one week. Will have to spend a bit more time on this. Might be able to get one or two of the days off, and hope that Ben can talk his boss into letting him take the others off..... Can't really see any other option.

Don't know how old your kids are but perhaps you could ask around/advertise/ask on here if anyone has older teenagers that could come to your house and do some "daytime babysitting" - sure they'd be glad of the pocket money, and if you do something now, it gives you and your kids a chance to get to know them beforehand.

maybe contact some of the privates see if they could do the slack. With notice they may be able to, especially with the holidays parents who have been able to take time off won't have their kids in.

The problem with that is that most private child care centres run on a skeleton staff for the xmas period, as understandably they want a break too. Parents have to fill in a xmas attendance form earlier on in the year so the staff = child ratio can be managed.

Cant imagine that there would be many directors prepared to do this round the xmas period.

I nearly had the same problem when we used Marino Childcare. There is a centre in Woodcroft that may have places available over the xmas fortnight for kids that don't normally go there. If you are interested PM me for more details.

Julie

Hi

I am a Family Daycare Provider and I am working up to christmas eve and then returning 28th Dec - customers of mine have said that this is a great problem in SA although not so much with FDCProviders... there are people out there who do take on "occasional care" might be something to look into. If you need any more info just pm me!