schooling... where to start?!

Willber

Hi everyone, we're due to arrive in Adelaide in August 2010 and we have our visa, YAY! :jiggy:

I have a 7 year old who will need schooling when we arrive, I think initially we are going to rent, for how long I don't know. How would we go about schooling? Would we find a school before we emigrate, then maybe look for another school when we buy (if it isn't in the same area).

Any advice would be appreciated :)

H there

I would wait until you get here, decide where you want to live (no rush) and then call all the schools in the area and go and look around. Go with yours and your childs gut instinct. The other option is asking on here as a lot of people will have or know of children at a lot of schools. Dont exclude private as its not as the fees are definately more affordable than in the UK. My children go to Willunga Primary (public). I am very pleased with it, great headteacher, friendly approachable staff, great values and a good feel in general. Both my children are very happy! Mine are younger but I have friends with children across the year groups and on the whole there are very few grumbles!!!

Lindsey

Guest steph&neil

Hi I agree wait till you get here then go to the schools - the state schools are pretty good - depending on area obviously! the same as the uk, handy notes -

* the school year here is Jan - Dec, so coming in August will be term 3

* there are NO league tables to let you know about diff school performance

* our kids both started in term 2 cost varies but our state school is about $250 a year per child, there is a compulsory part to the fee's (about $175 at our school) & the rest is voluntary be sure to ask about this esp if you are looking a moving schools as fees are refunded at a lot less than you pay, I know it doesn't sound much but you be spending out on lots of things when you get here so saving on anything is a bonus!

*Age cut off for each year in state school is the 30th of April

* the children start here a year later than the UK & go into recieption then year 1, so you might find depending on dob that they will be going into start at a year less than the uk (both mine did older child was NOT happy! but I dont make the rules! she is fine now)

* Private schools are a lot less than UK & there entry dob is different at each school - our youngest 1 starts private next year & in state school he would be going into yr 2 but at the new school he will start at yr 3!!

* Holidays - they are very easy going if you want to children out during the term just let them know - not a government form or lecture in site!!!

Hope this all makes sense! good luck with your adventure!

Hi Wilber,

have you checked the DECS website? the site is really good, and most useful for people in your situation. www.decs.com.au

We actually waited until we got here, even after checking out the site, cos we werent sure where we would be living!

Most schools are happy for you to contact and visit them, and let the principals sell the school to the kids, sneaky, but very effective!

Once decided, its a question of completing the enrollment, paying the fees, even in public schools, and being accepted; fairly simple process, and not much different to the UK

Hope it helps

Jane

Guest Dave & Carole

I would def agree with those that say wait til you get here. I was really worried about; do we get a house first or a school first....in the end we decided on an area to live so whether in rental or buying we wouldn't have to move schools again. Also don't rely on other people's opinions - go & look. We decided on an area - then discovered 3 schools served that area. Different people I spoke to recommended different ones. I looked at two. One I hated, the other I loved. But I know other people feel the reverse about the same schools. Phone up & go & look round then go for what feels right. When we finally enrolled our nearly 6 year old the deputy principle said he felt we'd done the right thing not rushing her in - he said they get a lot of kids in from the UK & some of them are put into school really quickly & struggle for a while - I guess like their parents they need time to adapt to their new surroundings! We might want them in school for our sanity :) for maybe holding back for a bit is worthwhile. Just my opinion though - hope it helps

Guest Lee and Claire

Hi there. I can recommend the school my son goes to. He goes to Lockleys Primary School. It a great school with a small number of students. A lot of kids outwith the immediate area pick this school because of this. My son settled in really well there.

Claire

Hi there

When we were in the UK I emailed the schools in the area we wanted to live in. I heard back from quite a few.

With 2 they accepted the kids straight away. We favoured one more than the other because of the out of hours care they offered and kept corresponding with them for months, so I felt like I knew the school inside out. They sent us enrolment forms for us to fill in back in UK.

When we arrived we went to see the schools I had emailed, as I could't just go by a website. We did decide on the school we had been in touch with.

Oh I meant to say

I would also seeif the Principal is available to show you round. One we went to see it was the secretary and she didn't introdce us to people. The principal at the kids' school introduced us to families and teachers, etc.

We also started the kids a few days before they broke up for the holidays, just to ease them into it. They had a break and then when they started properly, they had some understanding on how the school worked.

My youngest is in reception (after doing a year in reception in UK). We thought it would make her bored and fall behind but that grounding in UK has helped her fit in better.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Hi we waited untill we found an area we wanted to live in, then approached all the schools in that area had an interview and then we went on gut feeling . I am glad we did as it turns out a month later the other school we were looking at has a bad rep... pheeeew... So take your time....

Our kids love there school now. it is only a small community school, 300 kids in the whole school reception to year 7.. Lovelly teachers andhave experiance and even a settling in programme for children whom have moved from abroad. Brilliant,

All the best and take your time. Dont panic.

The Harris Family.