Moving

Guest Sami

im 14 almost 15 and my family are thinking of moving to adelaide :arghh:. i have mixed feelings about going but mostly i dont want to go, one of my friends are moving in january, but im scared i will end up moving and having no friends im soo scared. me and my best mate are like sisters, because by the time we move we will both be 16 we offered for her to come, but she did not look to chuffed, i dont want to be the one to tell her im going for deffinate :sad: .. my mum, dad and brother cant wait to move but they wont go unless im certain and i keep changing my mind, help me decide for sure? is it easy to make friends ? is school ok? im moving to mt compass or that area get back to me please i need serious help deciding

Guest thekings

Hi Sami,

We are looking to go over next year too and Hannah feels the same. The impression we get is that everyone will be sooooo friendly and I'm sure you'll soon make friends. Hopefully the Adelaiders will be along soon to confirm this but give em a chance as they are now only getting up :SLEEP::biglaugh:

Guest thekings

hey im hannah.

i feel exactly the same! because i have the best mates here and so many great memories.

i'd be happy to be your friend.

and also the thing is everyone is talking about it 24/7!!!! :arghh::mad::sad:

its soo annoying but i know there are great privaliges that come with moving and stuff.

and of course my mates are going to come and visit me as much as possible, but it wont be the same. :confused:

tapp bakk xx

maa life just will not be the same without them i cant bare leaving them :'(

i amney too keen on goin but my mum and dad are determand :(

thanks for all the replys :), made me feel abit better about it :\

Guest thekings
just think if you really dont like it you have the option to go back but if yiu never go it will always be wat if..

and youll have citenzhip so you can come nd leave when u like

That is soooooo true, we know loads of people in England who had the chance we have and didn't take it, and they all regret it. Give it a try get your citizenship then as said above you can come and go as you please.

The grass indeed may not be greener on the other side of the fence so to speak but you need to go and have a look to make your own mind up.

Guest mayjess

Listen, Adelaide is a fantastic place for teenagers, beach life etc, my girls were 15 and 10 when we went to live in Adelaide, i thought it would be my youngest to settle the best, in fact it was the other way round, my 15 year at the time, had a ball there, due to family bereavement etc we came back a year later, and now my girls are 14 & 19 & cannot wait to return to OZ, I would say give it a go, you wont know unless you try, you WILL get new mates & can stay in touch with old mates by internet etc,

Good Luck

Mayjess

Guest thekings

Hi Sami, I think your bessie mate is saying that because she knows it'll be harder for her than you. The fact is when you get over to Aus you will soon make new friends and get into new groups and before you know it you will have a whole new social network to be a part of, however back in Edinburgh there will be a big "hole" in your old friendship circle where you once were and there wont be anyone to fill it. Does that make sense??? I'm sure you're friend will come round, she probably just needs some time to get used to it, especially if you tell her you are definitely going. After all a true best friend WILL come round in the end.

Guest k8bug79

I agree with your Dad. I am twice your age and I have reservations and fears, but I know that I will def regret not giving it a try. When I was 8 my parents had the choice of moving to Germany or Australia with my Dads work. I hated the idea of Australia. The bugs freaked me out and I kicked up a strop big time. So we got Germany. I hated that too........until we left (at the end of the contract not because of my strop lol) and I got home and realised I was just being silly. I look back and I got so many life experiences I wouldn't have got at "home" and saw loads of Europe. It was also a great lifestyle but i was just to stubborn to accept that.

My best friend has been my best friend since I was 12 and she has lived in Essex to my Cornwall since we were 14. We spent lots of holidays together but even so as a teenager any distance is difficult, as you don't have the freedom of a car/ funds for transport to just go whenever you both fancy it. Even now at 30 I am sad that it means leaving my best friend further behind, that I won't get to see her children grow or she won't see mine either. But I (or we) have to do this for us and for our experiences. We will always be best friends no mater the distance, and no mater how sad we both would be she wouldn't stand in my way. You have to ask if in 10 years time you still see yourself living in the same town with the same friends doing the same boring things. Maybe at 15 I would have said yes but I look back 15 years on and know that I would never have been happy to do that.

I suspect your friend is upset an what she said was a knee jerk reaction, but if not, then she is not a friend you should be allowing to affect your life. As your Dad said, you are almost an adult and if you don't like it there will be family back home who could take you in. Once you are an adult you can do with your life what you want and then you'll be free to decide which country you live in, you may be surprised by your choice.

Your mate can't fall out just because your moving me and my bezzie are alwys talking and it's like we live down road we talk once a wk and when we do we talking bout sandwiches socks lots of random stuff shell just be sad but when your al grown up tavelling world youll look back and say it was hard at first but it helped u grow.

Took some convincing but this morning she sed she would come try it with me for a year and if we dont like it we can move back.. she even started drawin plans for our bedroom haha.. :D

• 1 month later...
Guest seasalt

I know this probably won't help but "is she really your bf". If she was she wouldn't she support you and not be selfish. You will make heaps of friends out here.

Guest Team 'W'

sami if you like groups and enjoy meeting people you will be absolutly fine over here...if your sporty join all the clubs that will be around where ever your family choose to live...

You will not be lonely for very long if you make the effort....

As for your [best friend] mmm.. may be she needs to think about your feelings instead of her own..

PS : i dont mean to be hurtful to your friend but something like this takes a lot of courage and messes with your head and really you need her support if this is gonna happen...but also it could put a wedge between your friendship and that would be really really sad considering your so close...

So i hope its not a bit of the green eyed monster rearing its ugly head....

close friendships are hard to come by and you should always be close wether your nextdoor or a thousand miles apart ...GOOD LUCK GIRLS ...and dad for having the patience...and by trying to do the rite thing ...xx

people say all sorts when they are sad, worried, nervous. i think your mate is gutted about you going and maybe a bit jealous too? she will have to adjust to a new life too with different mates maybe. think of all the things you will have to skype about. My kids had their share of wobbles too but we have been here 5 weeks and they love it here. It's the furthest place you could move too but only 24 hours on a plane and if you really hate it you can go back but what an opportunity for you all.................. pm me if you like and my kids will message you if that will help