Primary schools

Guest Deborah5

Guest Deborah5

hi

Anyone have any experience/opinions about Highbury Primary School and/or Cambelltown Primary School.

I'm tossing up between these and they both have their strength, but would like to hear from anyone who has anything to say about either.

Thanks

deborah

Guest Deborah5

hi Diane

Not specifics really, but it's nice to hear you were happy with it. I'm daunted by the size. Our previous school had only 180 pupils, but I think the big kids and small kids are kept quite separate at Highbury.

Did you find the children who went to Highbury all lived quite close by? that's another plus for that school - if their friends are going to be closer.

thanks

debbie

Hi Debbie

When we were in England, our kids' school only had 73 pupils, which was great in a lot of ways, but had some disadvantages such as there not being enough Year 6 pupils to make up a sports team, so the school teams always getting slaughtered as they had Year 4, 5 and 6 kids in the team who were so much smaller than their opponents! We did look at Houghton School which was/is a similar size to that, but in the end decided on Highbury both for the above reason, and because it was so well equipped (computers, sports hall, library, music etc). I was most impressed by the deputy Head (Deb Prior) as well who - when she showed us around - knew every one of the kids we came across by name - in a school of about 550 kids that's no mean feat!! She's still there, and even seems to know all the parents names:notworthy:(I have trouble remembering my husband's name at time so am in complete awe of such a memory!)

We've found the school really helpful in terms of putting our kids in mixed year classes when we've asked - our son is in Year 7 now and has been at the school since Year 2. Daughter now in Year 9 at High School but started at Highbury in Year 4.

There is a kindy and a school dentist on site, and the school is also involved with the Primary Schools Instrumental Music Service, so for instance my son has had guitar lessons which only cost us $50 a year for a lesson a week and the loan of a guitar. They also have a junior and senior choir, and do lots of sports, although I don't think there are many school teams - most of the kids seem to do club sports if they're that way inclined.

Most of the kids seem to live locally, I think because for a while the school was oversubscribed (don't know if it is now) so they were only accepting new entries from kids living in the catchment area. Lots of kids/families seem to walk to school as well. It definitely helps if their friends are nearby - much easier for pickups/dropoffs etc after playdates!

The younger years (Reception, 1 and 2) are generally housed in what's called the Home Base Building, with the others in the Main Building. There are separate playgrounds where only the little ones are permitted. They tend to work a buddy system though where the little ones are "paired" up with an older child, and the older ones get rewarded for good behaviour by being allowed to go to their Buddy's class and listen to reading, help out with crafts etc. My daughter used to love this!

Like in every school there are good and bad teachers - or I guess ones that your kids excel for and ones that they don't!! I asked specifically for my son to have the same teacher as my daughter had had for his last two years, and though they don't guarantee anything, they were able to accommodate us. I am sure it was due to this fantastic Year 6/7 teacher that both my kids passed scholarship exams into private High School, saving us a fortune in fees (whilst costing us a fortune in uniform!!!).

Can't think of much else to add - but I know at least two other regular site contributors have kids at the same school, so hopefully they'll give you their viewpoints at some stage too.