Private School Scholarships - if child in Year 6 now

Diane

If anyone has a child currently in Year 6 who might be thinking of going to any of the following schools from Year 8 onwards, registrations are now open for academic scholarships through ACER (http://www.acer.edu.au/tests/scholarships.html).

They register now, sit the exam in early February, for entry the following Jan/Feb (i.e. 2011).

Both my kids managed to get scholarships for the school of our choice - you can put in for more than one school if you wish - thanks mainly to a brilliant Year 6/7 teacher they both had rather than any inherited brains I have to say, but it's definitely worth looking into.

One more thing before I list the schools - if your child is sitting the exam in Feb, well worth asking the teacher before the end of the term in Dec to send them home some practice work to do over the long summer holidays, so their brains don't totally die!!

Here's the list in SA:

Annesley, Prince Alfred, St Peters, Woodcroft

Blackfriars, Pulteney, St Peters Girls

Concordia, Rostrevor, Tabor

Immanuel, St Ignatius, Temple

Kings Baptist, Scotch College, Trinity

Loreto, Seymour, Walford

Pedare, St Johns, Westminster

Pembroke, St George, Wilderness

• 2 months later...

I read this thread with interest. My second child, a girl is in year 4 now. We are moving to Adelaide, hopefully in August. So she still has a chance to prepare herself for this scholarship. Currently she is part of gifted and talented group in her school.

This scholarship, once you get it, does it cover the whole period in the secondary school or only for the first year?

For the test, what subjects are in there to prepare?

Regards

Wijaya

It depends. Usually though an academic scholarship will cover secondary years. Some schools are introducing Middle school scholarships which cover yrs 7,8 and 9. The child would then have to resit for one to cover 10, 11 and 12. This is because if you accept a scholarship then your child is expected to stay at the school for the period of the scholarship. If your child leaves without "good reason" then you will have to pay back the value of the scholarship.

I read this thread with interest. My second child, a girl is in year 4 now. We are moving to Adelaide, hopefully in August. So she still has a chance to prepare herself for this scholarship. Currently she is part of gifted and talented group in her school.

This scholarship, once you get it, does it cover the whole period in the secondary school or only for the first year?

Regards

Wijaya

Hi

The ACER one that I put the link to above is a maths paper, a comprehension paper and a story/essay, so really not stuff you could probably prepare much for.

I can only speak from personal experience, and feel free to PM me for more details, but this particular scholarship is for years 8, 9 and 10, and the school has told me unless the child is falling behind or failing in Year 10, it is renewable for Years 11 and 12.

The school my kids are at also runs a Gifted and Talented Program and Extension English and Maths, so even the brightest kids don't get bored.

Also worth bearing in mind state schools that run the Ignite Programme (I know of Glenunga and Modbury Heights on this side of town, and Aberfoyle Park in the South (Parents and Community: Ignite Programs for Gifted Children). I know of a couple of kids who have been through this programme and everyone I speak to is full of praise for it.

Most private school also do special interest scholarships (music, sport etc) and a lot of the state schools have special entry programmes (performing arts, various sports etc) as well.

Good luck and hope that helps

Diane

there are preparation classes that you can pay for your child to attend.

Maths : problem solving is an area a lot of children fall down on. a good grasp of numeracy is needed to allow time to use it to problem solve.

Comprehension : Reading, thinking and understanding. Have your child read widely and discuss what they have read.

Story writing. : Often the children just get a picture and have to go from there. The year my daughter sat the ACER she got a picture of a chair and 20 mins to write a story. The picture for the IGNITE was a sad and happy drama mask. So practice in organising thoughts and writing grammatically and well can be tried.

The IGNITE test for the state schools is almost exactly the same format but they have a Raven's test to test reasoning. The top students generally score well in all four areas.

• 1 month later...
Guest steph&neil

Regards

Wijaya

Hiya just thought I would let you know that my son won a scholarship and goes to St Peters Woodland in Glenelg, and started in year 3 (this feb). It was an academic all rounder ablity that it was based on, not a test. I am unsure to what years they offer scholarships but is probably worth you looking into. It will depend on the space available as well my son got the last space in yr3 & I know they are still offering enrolments for yr 4-7-. If you would like more info look up there website. Also worth noting the school cut off for a school year in SPW is 30 June, our son will be 8 in May so is one of the youngest in year 3. They will look at school reports etc & a written letter from the current school. Our son was in year 1 last year as the state cut of is 30 April and although he had done a year of schooling before we arrived the state school he went to were very strict about the cut off! Lucky for us that the school he was going to had a program similar to the one your daughter goes to, and they adapted they work to suit so was doing year 3/4 work last year!

On the up side even if you cant secure a scholarship then the price of private is half of what we would have paid in the Uk (around $4500k per year plus about $600 in uniforms). Let me know if I can help in any other way!

steph x

Hi all, read this thread with much interest this evening! We've been in Adelaide 3 or so weeks (loving it by the way) and just started all our girls in the local state school. Three are so happy and the teachers are so dedicated. Our eldest has decided that she would rather go to a private all girls school! She has never enjoyed fitness/PE - would rather read a book etc. We thought we'd look into this later this year but should it be treated with more urgency? She's in year 7 and we live in the Sheidow Park area. Is it all too late for scholarships? I now feel worried about this - am I overreacting or should I look into this with urgency? Please give me some of your fantastic advice.

Anna x

Hi Beth

I think your best bet would be to contact the school(s) you're interested in and ask them. Lots of them are having open days at this time of year anyway. Although the ACER scholarships are over for entry into Year 8 next year, a lot of schools have different types of scholarships available - some even just on the basis of having a chat with you and if you make a good impression and they think you would be a credit to the school, they may offer you some sort of scholarship. Have you narrowed down your choices to which school you might like? There is a good website where you can search by area and type (all girls for instance) but my internet is playing up at the moment so I can't put a link up - perhaps try googling 'private schools adelaide' or try this one - which may or not be the one I'm thinking of! - A guide to all private schools in Adelaide, South Australia - Private Schools Directory

Good luck

Diane

You should find information about the Scholarships that you are interested in on this list:

ACER - Tests

The scholarship exams for year 8 in 2011 usually take place in February. If you have missed this it does not mean that you are unable to get a scholarship or a place. I would contact the school that you are interested in asap and find out what they have to offer.

This site gives you details of the independent schools in Adelaide. Adelaide Schools

I would just add that at the independent school my daughters attended PE was compulsory and this included Friday or Saturday sport. My eldest daughter hated this, (she sounds like your daughter) but she managed to get round the requirements by joining the TaeKwonDo classes.

In our local state school, there was far less emphasis on participation in sport outside the regular PE lessons.

I have no idea whether this is typical of all independent schools, or what an all girls school would be like.