is it me !!

Guest me123

Gosh, sounds like you've been really unlucky with your choice of schools! There are plenty of excellent schools near to you, why not look at changing? It's not such a big deal out here, kids seem to change school quite frequently for various reasons. The primary my youngest is at is excellent and I've never come across any issues such as the ones you describe - and although there are occasional problems at some high schools, as you'd get anywhere, the staff seem to really be on top of things and deal with anything really well. My daughter is at private high school, but a lot of her friends are at state schools and their parents have nothing but praise for the schools and the communication!

I'd look at changing schools if I were you.

Gosh, sounds like you've been really unlucky with your choice of schools! There are plenty of excellent schools near to you, why not look at changing? It's not such a big deal out here, kids seem to change school quite frequently for various reasons. The primary my youngest is at is excellent and I've never come across any issues such as the ones you describe - and although there are occasional problems at some high schools, as you'd get anywhere, the staff seem to really be on top of things and deal with anything really well. My daughter is at private high school, but a lot of her friends are at state schools and their parents have nothing but praise for the schools and the communication!

I'd look at changing schools if I were you.

my kids though are happy with the school and from the outside everything seems to be fine its just the stuff they tell me on the way home that worries me ,also i dont have a car yet so i have to be close to school another problem is that the kids have been to so many schools over the years as we moved at least three times in the uk and have lived here in adelaide before and had similar thoughts of school system last time we were here i feel im letting my kids down !!:sad:

Its not just Australia that kids have drunk parents, dads beat them up etc - I would imagine it happens in every school both state and private across the world.

I think the state schools are excellent here and dont just count your child as another statistic to get the SAT results up. I had my doubts at first but now my kids enjoy life rather than ploughing through piles of homework.

It may be an idea to have alook around but I don't think you are letting them down

Lisa

also i dont have a car yet so i have to be close to school

Could they (or you and they) get a bus to a different school/schools? If you're not happy with what you're hearing then you must be so stressed out you poor thing, and after such a short time here trying to settle, that's probably the last thing you need! From personal experience I know that if you can get your kids settled somewhere, it is such a weight off your mind in the first few months. I have always found both teachers and principals at my kids' schools very approachable so perhaps it might be worth calling up the principal of your children's primary school and arranging to have a chat to discuss your concerns about what you're hearing. They might be able to set your mind at rest, and if not, you can then consider the option of changing as a last resort perhaps?

My son plays football at Tea Tree Gully Soccer club, and my daughter belongs to the Tea Tree Players so I've come across a wide cross section of parents and families through there, and have never heard anything about such family violence issues, I really think you have been very unlucky :sad:

Guest sundropstar

My children changed schools after 2 months here, they are very happy at their new school and I'm glad we changed so have a proper look around when you get the chance. Sometimes it feels like the sooner you get them into school the quicker they will settle but I found out that is sometimes not the best way to go. As well, now you have had a taste of the system you will know what to look for and ask about when you do look around, so not a bad thing, either.

thanks to you all for reading maybe im just too super sensitive! i will see how we go i know some kids like to tell stories and maybe its because the schools we left were really good and i probably expect too much i know im in australia now and things are different ,in fact whilst helping out at school a couple of days ago one mum asked me what i thought of ausie schools i chose to answer carefully with "well its certainly less formal " to which she relied "welcome to AUSTAYYLIA LOVE " needless to say i kept very quiet !!

Guest sundropstar

The original school my children went to was also more relaxed and none of us felt comfortable with that. I have friends whose kids go there and they are thriving so it just depends on what you are used to and how your children respond. The school they go to now, although it still does have some things I think are a bit wierd is alot more like the school we used in the Uk. Because of the many similarities I can cope with the Australian differences ! :)

i have always been a worrie bean my hubby thinks i think too much !! but we came here to give the kids a good life and this is my primary concern the kids schooling is a major part of their lives and i dont just want to palm them off to school and hope for the best , my son is finding things a bit hard at the moment and this is breaking me !! he is a keen skate kid we left the uk with him leaving his very close network of mate behind,as have many kids i know but he finds the kids here very lazy none seem to want to go out anywhere the only kids that skate in his school are the older kids (he is in year 9) and he says they all seem to be into drugs !! the area we live in is a very nice area so i am some what shocked to say the least..

Guest Team 'W'

hi hun

you are a fabulous mum!!!!

and you have brought your kids up to do the right thing and how to behave and they have all got good heads on their shoulders.

If they are happy just grin and bear it till one of them comes home and says they hate it, then its time to re-school i know what ur goin through [having been there myself not a week ago]my eldist seems to be out of class more than hes in it with free time.....????

An as for swearin mmmm um errr yes it happens a lot between parents an kids an kids to kids but its a case of turnin the other cheek.

and you can only hope your kids make the right choices in life...sometimes i think we under-estimate our own..

Can gorgeous boy not bring his work home is there no ex teachers or tutors around t tree gull that you can have 1-2 lessons with without commiting to any specific time scale...

My youngest was stuggling in her class and a few occasions was ignored and lucky for her a couple of her friends helped her out[little stars] needles to say the teacher in question is not gettin re-registered i know of one mum who will be pleased as i.....

But its a case of better the devil u know????

anyway dont worry is what im tryin to say the kids will stick together and theyll be fine itll be you that will be on tamazipan!!!lol

i know i am just being a pain in the ar*e but sometimes i cant help it i know your right i suppose a cra* mum is one who never asks herself the questions , i just want the kids to leave school with good qualifications, make loads of the right kind of mates,have fun and be safe these would concern me where ever we live,i have no confidence at the moment and feel abit out of sorts going to school to tell them what i have cocerns with i will wait till the new term i think !

Guest Team 'W'

good for you hunny....

any decent parent wants what is best for their kids an ur not a pain in the posteria you are really concerned and totally have a right to be.

dont worry cavalry........ta da ta da is COMING.....

BOTTLE OF VINO AN A BIG CREAM CAKE IN ORDER ON TUES......

ill bring em with me an we can sit an ponder!!!!!!