Is Public School Expensive

Guest Sarah Wright

Guest Sarah Wright

My family and i are emigrating in March and i am currently researching schools. I realise from previous threads that the private schools are much cheaper than the UK but this would not be an option for us with having 3 kids. I have however been surprised when looking at the school sites that you have to pay fees at the public schools around $600 a year which can work out expensive when you have 3. Also the uniform and even the canteen costs seem much more than the UK (boy am i gonna miss Asda). Can anyone put my mind at rest regarding the cost of schools or am i in order to panic a little ??? :(

Hi there, Guess it differs from school to school, but we were the same as you a bit worried just how much it was all going to cost... however, school fees for next year are around $290 per child. Some uniform does cost more, particulary the girls summer dresses and polo shirts with school logo, but you can pick some of the bits up at BIG W (like UK woolworths) such as shorts etc. On the plus side, they do seem pretty good quality and wash well.

We are still pretty new to all this so I am sure someone will be able to offer more advice, but it wasn't as bad as we thought anyway.

Good luck with your move, Julie

Guest caoimhe

Last year I paid about $240 per child, this is primary school. Going up this year but I don't think by much.

I bought plain t-shirts/shorts/jumpers etc from Target instead of the school ones' and then bought the iron on logo from the school which works out so much cheaper, I have 4 kids. In fact it was the school principal that told me to do it that way.:)

At the primary school my two were at, there was an "excursion levy" of about $70 a year towards trips etc - this was optional, you could either play it in a lump sum at the start of the year, or pay for each trip individually as it comes up. Music lessons were included in the curriculum, but if you wanted your child to learn an instrument as well, this cost about $100 a year which included loan of an instrument and a weekly lesson.

In terms of the graphics calculator the high school students need from Year 10 onwards, I managed to get one online from the US for about $70 as opposed to the $220 they cost here.

Hope that helps

Diane

Guest mysnix

Each school is different - I haven't had the bills this year yet - but I think my primary school is somewhere between $300-$350 per year (that will include the excursion levy) but my high school comes in nearer $700 per year and then you have to pay for any excursions, trips, special days and stationary (exercise books, folders etc) on top of that.

Nikki

At the primary school my two were at, there was an "excursion levy" of about $70 a year towards trips etc - this was optional, you could either play it in a lump sum at the start of the year, or pay for each trip individually as it comes up. Music lessons were included in the curriculum, but if you wanted your child to learn an instrument as well, this cost about $100 a year which included loan of an instrument and a weekly lesson.

In terms of the graphics calculator the high school students need from Year 10 onwards, I managed to get one online from the US for about $70 as opposed to the $220 they cost here.

Hope that helps

Diane

Hi Diane,

if you have the website for the company, could you let me have it please.

Cheers,

Cooler

• 3 weeks later...
Guest salisbury massive

You can pay in installments over the year. I have 3 to pay for and last year negotiated to pay $50 a fortnight until it was paid. Don't panic too much, the schools are very understanding and there is a thing called a school card which you can claim if you are low income earners. Ask at the school and they will show you how to apply and the income amounts.

Once my kids were in school I got my mum to send over lots of Asda 3 for £5 polos and trousers and summer dresses. Most schools are navy or red or green and you don't have to buy the logo'ed uniform if you don't want to. Uniform here is certainly not like the UK. Private schools are like Uk state schools. Here its pretty casual.

Jo