School Ages

Guest The Lees

Guest The Lees

Hi All

We are moving to Adelaide in the next couple of month's due to my husbands work.

We have a 13 year old son ( who will be 14 in May) he is currently in year 9 over hear in the uk, can anybody tell me if this stays the same over in Oz. Also when is the schoolyear to and from, we are hoping to rent in the H/C area.

Thanks

Julie

From the DECS website:

"Starting School

The enrolment process is completed by a school, so to inquire about enrolling your child, please contact the school that you wish to enrol at directly.

Children are not required to attend school until they are six years old, but may be enrolled at a government primary school from the age of five. Schools may accept children immediately following their fifth birthday but it is not compulsory for them to do so. However as a minimum, schools shall enrol children aged five at the beginning of each school term.

Most children usually attend four terms of preschool and then begin school in Reception when they are five. Reception is the name given to the first year of schooling."

The school year is pretty much the same as the calendar year, students start a new year at the end of January, then have 4 terms, with a 2 week break at the end of each term except for the summer/end of year break which is about 6 weeks.

Most kids go back to school next week (Wednesday 29th January) for the start of the school year.

To find a school in a particular area, refer to http://www.decs.sa.gov.au/decs_search/pages/locs

kids here have to be 13 to go to secondary school. My son was 13 in october so has gone in to year 8 here, starting on 28th. My daughter is 11 and has gone into year 6 although she completed year 7 in the uk. hope this helps, all the schools we spoke to were vey helpful. i,ve got a feeling the cut off here is dec 31st rather like uk August 31st but not sure.

Guest The Garners

Hi Julie,

its Catherine, well what do think cant believe it's really happening.......:goofy:

Not best pleased with Dan going out for 6 weeksbut hey ho! But you never know they might not and we'll all go together.

Fingers crossed x

Guest The Lees

Hi Catherine

Fingers crossed you are right, all will become clearer on Monday. It would be much better to all go together but what will be will be, at least this is a step in the right direction. Hope to actully meet again soon.

Julie

P.s. Dave not to happy about having to look after Danny again. Speak soon. x

Hi All

We are moving to Adelaide in the next couple of month's due to my husbands work.

We have a 13 year old son ( who will be 14 in May) he is currently in year 9 over hear in the uk, can anybody tell me if this stays the same over in Oz. Also when is the schoolyear to and from, we are hoping to rent in the H/C area.

Thanks

Julie

Although the school year runs from Jan to Dec - the cut off dates for school age are different. It is April/May.. so theroretically he may be the oldest child in his year if they put him at year 8 or the youngest child in his year if they put him at year 9 . I think he will be a year 8 if memory serves me right.

When we came to this country in May '99, the principal put our children in classes according to their "school experience" rather than age. They have found it easy to mix with youngsters who are a little older. The school work has been appropriate for one and the other was accelerated a year as he was ahead of his peers academically.

your son will probably go into yr 9. The cut off really only is applicable to children starting school for the first time to ensure they get long enough in their first year at school and the rest follows on from there. Some kids are 12 when they start yr 8, some will be 13 already. Likely your school will look at what your child's experience is and place him in yr 9.

your son will probably go into yr 9. The cut off really only is applicable to children starting school for the first time to ensure they get long enough in their first year at school and the rest follows on from there. Some kids are 12 when they start yr 8, some will be 13 already. Likely your school will look at what your child's experience is and place him in yr 9.

I reckon this is spot on - I have a 12 year old who will be 13 in May and he is currently in year 8. He is a little younger than his classmates, due to having started school in the UK at age 4 rather than 5 as they do here, so it sounds like your son is the same (but plus one year!)