St Johns Grammar, Belair

GaryP

Hi, we are considering sending our two children to St Johns Grammar as it looks like the sort of independent school we are after. Our kids currently attend a good independent school in the UK and if possible we are looking for one that is very similar in Adelaide. We would like to hear some current views on whether it is as good as the prospectus looks. I have found other reviews of this school on this site but they were all from over a year ago so I thought it would be worth posting.

We are not sure where we will end up living but will initially be staying in Dover Gardens thanks to a kind family member.

Josh is a keen sportsman and is really in to soccer, cricket and hockey. Mille-Jo is just starting to really enjoy swimming so some good swimming facilities are a must, do they have any on campus?

Also we are a little bothered by the proximity to the bush and are a little worried about the risk of bushfires in this area, especially as we could be at least 30 mins away at work, we may be being over paranoid but we are interested in other peoples point of view.

Many Thanks

The school has a bushfire policy. If it is a high category risk school, you can keep your children home. If they are at school and there is a fire anywhere in the area, the school will not allow kids to leaqve but move them to a previously designated safe area. The secondary school has a big oval and open areas. My son says the bushfire plan has only ever been enacted once.

The school has loads of sport and music and the kids are worked hard in the junior school so that they move easily into the secondary school. My nephew and niece are still at the school and are doing well. There are no real behaviour problems and the school also does exchanges with Japan.

• 7 months later...

Hi we are still in UK but desperately trying to get to Adelaide where all my family are. My nephew goes to St John's grammar - my brother and sister in law moved him from the state school due to discipline issues with other children. He has really thrived since the move and his grades and happiness generally have gone through the roof.

We are now in the daunting position of looking for school for my 7 and 5 yr old for when we get there. Interestingly, we too will be staying with family( my parents) in Dover Gardens !! We are thinking of St John's but not sure about how we will afford it and may have to look at other options. I know a lot of people send them to state primary and then to private secondary but then there is the friendship disruption issue. Also my son has Aspergers and is pretty bright - he is needing special work here in UK with maths as he is quite advanced so need to find the right place for him really.

Anyway, thought I'd post as there were a few things in common. Hope you've now settled !

best wishes x

Why not make an appointment and go and see for yourself - go with your gut feeling.

Everyone I've met from the school has been lovely, staff and pupils. The school has a lot going on and the drama/music productions are brilliant, I've been to the last 3 years. I have friends who's sons are at the secondary school, from the UK too and they are very happy with their decision to send them there.

I've a close friend that works at the school and have asked her for the Registrars email address - if you have any questions or query's you could email directly cmcmahon@stjohns.sa.edu.au

Hi, we are considering sending our two children to St Johns Grammar as it looks like the sort of independent school we are after. Our kids currently attend a good independent school in the UK and if possible we are looking for one that is very similar in Adelaide. We would like to hear some current views on whether it is as good as the prospectus looks. I have found other reviews of this school on this site but they were all from over a year ago so I thought it would be worth posting.

Many Thanks

I've heard nothing but GOOD reports about St John's. My daughter lives in Bellevue Heights and at the moment her girls are at Coromandel primary, happliy settled and doing well. They plan to send them to St Johns when they get to 'senior school' age.

Hi,

Sorry we ended up sending our kids to Westminster in the end. We ended up choosing between St Johns and Westminster as they both had availability for the year groups we needed. We opted for Westminster in the end because of the results posted on the myschools website and because Westminster was in Marion which is close to where we are now.

Cheers

Gary