Help! Temp475 visa = no Centrelink child ref number = no private childcare?

Aquacatrina

I'm stuck in a strange vicious circle!

I've just been offered a great job (hooray) so want to put my son into a great private childcare centre which will drop him off and pick him up by minibus at his existing kindy. Went to see them today, booked his place but was told he absolutely CANNOT be registered there until we get a Child Reference Number for him from Centrelink. I explained that we're on a subclass 475 temporary visa so will be paying all the fees ourselves, not claiming anything in benefits. No worries - or so i thought, childcare centre manager assured me that Centrelink would give me a ref number anyway, just to make my son 'exist'!

So now after an hour on the phone to Centrelink, speaking to just about everyone there, they've confirmed that since we're NOT permanent residents, we obviously don't get benefits (which yes I knew), but to them that means we don't exist so do NOT get any reference numbers either. No exceptions to the rule, blah blah blah. Could they confirm this by email - no! Could they tell which page of their website confirms this - no!

I can't get back in touch with the childcare centre manager until Monday morning so just wondered in the meantime if anyone else has been in the same situation?

Hi

We were on a a 495 Visa for the first 2 years in SA and our only son is in full time nursery, we just paid the full fees and we were never asked anything regarding a centrelink # (as your not entitled to one) Not sure why you have been asked for something the Visa does not entitle you to, perhaps a misunderstanding on their behalf. I would explain again your personal circumstances, as its not the usual they deal with .

Good luck

Michelle

I ve only had dealings with after school clubs so far, but I know people who are not permanent residents who have children in childcare..

When i phoned centrelink for ref numbers for my kids, i was interregated with regards to immunisations & have been told my kids are not up to date. The ohsc application had a disclaimer to sign if they weren't up to date, so this may have something to do with it..

I'd suggest trying another childcare provider...

Guest Teresa01

I think the childcare provider may have given you the wrong information. You can use childcare without a CRN number and as you said, pay the full fees. We did this when we first arrived as we were on a temp visa. It is true that you cant obtain a CRN number from Centerlink until you have a perm visa.

Try the provider again, you do sometimes get given the wrong information here as the facts arent always checked out, thats the down side of it being laid back!!

Good luck

Teresa