Aberfoyle park high

Guest markmet

Guest markmet

Hi

We are moving to flagstaff hill next week, and I will be enrolling my daughter into aberfoyle park high school. Would appreciate any info that you can give me about the school i.e what the school is like, the fees, would I need to purchase summer uniform now its autumn and the cost of uniforms. Anything you can tell me about the school in general would be great.

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris

We moved here just before the school term started in Jan, my kids also go to Aberfoyle Park School, my kids are in yrs 8 and 10 and fees depend on what year your child is in as mine are different round about $380 yr and uniforms roughly around $250 for basic pe and school kit, remember you have to buy all school excersize books but thats not much. The school is different from the uk but it just takes a bit of getting used to for her, my daughter is very happy and settled and has lots of friends, i'm sure your daughter will be fine as teachers/kids are ok and a lot more laid back.

Regards Nicky, Steve, Ryan (15), Becky (13)

Guest markmet

Hi Nicky

Thanks for the useful info. My daughter should be in year 8 also as that is the year she was in when we left the uk. At the moment she wont even broach the subject of school, so god knows what she will be like when I tell she will be going to school after the easter hols. She just really misses her friends and I am so hoping it doesnt take her long to make some more.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
Guest puff the dragon
Hi

We are moving to flagstaff hill next week, and I will be enrolling my daughter into aberfoyle park high school. Would appreciate any info that you can give me about the school i.e what the school is like, the fees, would I need to purchase summer uniform now its autumn and the cost of uniforms. Anything you can tell me about the school in general would be great.

Thanks

Chris

Hi

I have found the high school completely useless.Some of the teachers have a couldnt care less attitude!!

my childs report came home with someone elses name on it and when I phoned no apology

I have been really disappointed

Guest markmet

Hi

Thanks for telling me that. Will keep a close eye on things. Have enrolled my daughter now, so we will have to see how things go. Hopefully what happened with you might have been a one off.

Thanks again

Chris

We've got two kids at the school - a daughter in year 12 and son in year 9. They are both very different kids and one is IGNITE and the other, mainstream.

Their experiences are very different so I am totally delighted with the first and not so much with the second (partly DS's fault, not really the school's). I have found the support network at APHS fantastic. Even though the counsellors are overworked, they are always accessible to the kids. If your child has any issues, whether social or educational, the school will do its best to help. They have a fantastic music, dance and drama facility and the rugby programme is one of the best in the state. APHS also offer a fair few extra-curricular activities, so I am sure your daughter will find something to interest her.

It is a big school to find your way round, but there is always someone drifting round the grounds so please reassure her to ask; they won't laugh at her,honest! In fact, if there were one piece of advice I'd offer, it would be to ask if there is anything she is unsure of. She might find school here quite different to her 'old' school and it is better to ask that question than suffer, worry and stress out in silence!

I could go on for ages (and often do lol!) but won't, but please feel free if there's any way I can help.

:cool:LC

Guest puff the dragon
Hi

Thanks for telling me that. Will keep a close eye on things. Have enrolled my daughter now, so we will have to see how things go. Hopefully what happened with you might have been a one off.

Thanks again

Chris

tell her to go to the toilet before school,they are kept locked and kids have to ask for a key!!

There is never any toilet paper or soap!! and students are not allowed to use the toilets in the library

My son doesnt drink all day for fear of needing the loo:mad:

Guest markmet

Thank you so much for the reassurance. Its what i needed to hear as she is having a hard time adapting. She has always been outgoing so it is difficult to see her retreat to her room. Im hoping that will change. She is glued to the laptop and friends in the Uk, and I have said they will always be her friends but there is nothing wrong with making more friends, as you can never have too many friends can you. If I think of anything else regarding aberfoyle I will be sure to ask.

Thanks again

Chris

Guest thekings

Some mostly positive comments here which is reassuring as this is where Hannah will probably go when we move over soon. I can understand that not everyone will have a positive experience. Personally I am the rebel from hell when it comes to schools, I think that their rules suck and are grossly outdated. You treat the kids like kids and guess what????? Yep they act like kids. As soon as they are treated like adults i.e. allowed to where what they like and express themselves and learn the subjects that will actually help them in a job then hey ho they actually start acting like adults and enjoy learning. Rant over, as you were ;)

Guest markmet
Some mostly positive comments here which is reassuring as this is where Hannah will probably go when we move over soon. I can understand that not everyone will have a positive experience. Personally I am the rebel from hell when it comes to schools, I think that their rules suck and are grossly outdated. You treat the kids like kids and guess what????? Yep they act like kids. As soon as they are treated like adults i.e. allowed to where what they like and express themselves and learn the subjects that will actually help them in a job then hey ho they actually start acting like adults and enjoy learning. Rant over, as you were ;)

I know what you mean, and it is even more difficult to choose a school when you are the other side of the world so you do listen to other peoples opinions. I did visit the school the other day with my daughter, and I have to say as schools go it looked very nice. A lot to take in though, and the list they give you of things to buy is mind boggling. When do you get to Adelaide, and what area you going to be livin in. Not far from aberfoyle I guess. We are in Flagstaff hill.

Chris

Guest RichandHelen
tell her to go to the toilet before school,they are kept locked and kids have to ask for a key!!

There is never any toilet paper or soap!! and students are not allowed to use the toilets in the library

My son doesnt drink all day for fear of needing the loo:mad:

Some but not all are locked. My son says he has no problems going.

The toilet paper bit is true tho ! :jiggy:

I think around the 13 year Old age is prob the hardest. My son did get a little mickey taken out of him and is still called PomPom sometimes. If you can take a joke and dont bite back you will be fine. He still misses his Uk friends but is not on the Laptop as often as he used to be. He joins in the Physical Part of it more now ,and loved the camp.! All in all a good school.:)

Guest markmet

Hi Rich & Helen

Thanks for your reply. Its nice to get some reassurances from those who have first hand experience. I dont know who is more nervous me or my daughter. I really hope she is happy there and am so anxious for her to make some new friends, and just to start and enjoy Adelaide a bit more. We have been in Adelaide for 7 weeks now and she has hardly set foot outside the door, so heaven knows how I will get her to go to school. Oh the joys of parenthood aye.

Thanks again. Much appreciated

Chris :arghh:

Guest RichandHelen

Hi Chris

My Son`s name is Matt and hes in 803 his home group teacher is Miss Daniell. He says he would be happy to show your daughter around, and help her out if shes nervous. Hope all goes well.

Richard

Guest markmet

Hi Richard

Thank you. That is really kind of Matt to offer. I will mention him to my daughter, although she is rather shy so dont know whether she will take him up on the offer or not. I believe they are given a buddy aren't they to show them round and help them settle in. Its the first day that is the worst isn't. I will get back to you on Matts offer.

Thanks

Chris

state schools seem worse here than in UK. when our son was at reynella high they didnt even notice he was off for a week.

They are not worse than the UK....my kids have experience of both state systems, and i have to say, the education my children receive over here is more rounded and varied than in the UK...

Also, my kids attend Reynella East High and Primary...and on the few occassions they have been off, and I have forgotten to phone up...i have always received a txt msg regarding their absense...so very surprised to hear that they didnt notice your son was off for a week!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...

We have three teenagers and have been here for 12 months............ we are in a situation where we like where we are living and our kids are SO settled in a fab school (Banksia High) but we have family and they are all down in the South......Woodcroft, Seaford, McClaren Vale area......we have been looking at houses and there are lots to choose from down South....(newer builds).....and we like it there...but just need to find a way of moving the school down there with us!!!

So our big dilemma....do we stay up here until they finish school and then move or just go for it??? the mulling over it makes us dizzy.......aaargh!

Been searching on here for some positives about the High School Options for those living in the Seaford area.........but not found any yet! Has anyone got any stories/recommendations/warnings!! Any replies will be appreciated.......

Cheers