please help...teenager issues

Guest willow1234

Guest willow1234

hi there please could anyone help with a quarrel my daughter and myself are having ???? she is 15yrs old and should be leaving secondary school here in the uk this year BUT can anyone help by telling us what year she would be in at school in oz.

Guest thekings

From what I can gather the Aussie school year runs 4 months behind ours. In England the school year starts in September whereas in Australia I think it starts in January/February???? after their summer holiday. IIRC she is in year 11 in England finishing the year in about July ish...coming to Australia she would still be in year 11 but finishing in their year in December ish. Think thats right but will gladly stand corrected as we are not even there yet.

Guest kangomik

i think you will find it's a year and 4 months. Year 7 is the last year of Primary and the kids leave at 12 years old

Year 12 is the last year at secondary, if they don't opt out early, which i think takes them to 17 years old when they leave.

to the OP

She would be doing an extra year at school at least.......... but this is not a bad thing, because she should leave with Aussie qualifications by then, which will help her on her way through tafe and/or uni.

That may not be the answer she wants to hear, but i think it's the one she would get

Guest lindagarrattley

Hi again

Also, I think the compulsory school leaving age in SA is 17 y.o (16y.o in UK). So from what you've said your daughter will be in YR10 when she starts in June'10 and will finish Yr10 (UK Yr11)in Dec. and probably have one more year to go. They also have a vocational scheme in place, called VET, where young people who don't want to continue academic studies, organise a work placement. I hope this is right! We hope to follow you out to Adelaide June'10. Hope you got the PM I resent.

Best wishes Linda

hi there please could anyone help with a quarrel my daughter and myself are having ???? she is 15yrs old and should be leaving secondary school here in the uk this year.

I also reckon school is a good place to start off, but if she really can't face it then she might be able to get an apprenticeship.

Kids can leave school at 15 if they have an apprenticeship so she can relax, enjoy trying school in the knowledge that the school can try to place her if she has a particular interest / skill / hates school that much lol!

Saying that, it never hurts to have your SACE, particularly as some employers demand that as a mininum qualification.

:wubclub: LC

Guest willow1234

she wants to go to school in oz but was unsure which year shed be in,she should of taken gcse exams in uk but unfortunatly wont be sitting all of them as we av to be in oz by june 4th for validation.we av decided were going to go and stay not for a reccie.the exams start june this year appose to march/april thanks for the reply