school equipment

Guest markmet

Guest markmet

Hi there

My daughter is going to be attending high school after the easter break. Cant believe the list we have been given of stuff she is going to need, there is just so much on the list I dont know where to start. Will she need all of the stationary and books straight away. Do they have to keep all this stuff on them all the time. Oh and do the kids wear a coat here in the autumn winter months or do you tend to buy the school windcheaters with school logo. Dont want to rush out and buy coat for school when no one bothers with them. Any help advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Chris :arghh:

Most important thing is whatever you buy, keep your receipt for your tax return - you can claim a lot back through the Education Tax Refund for anything bought in the tax year to June (Education Tax Refund)

Some schools have a winter and summer uniform - winter uniform for the next two terms, then summer, so if this is the case for your daughter, you can probably get away with just getting the winter stuff for now.

Not noticed any kids wearing coats as such at High School - although the school logo fleeces are popular.

Some of the books you may be able to hire for the year from the school (text books), but she'll probably need lots of exercise books, and plastic book covers.

Does depend on the school she's at: books and stuff I'd get what they recommend, but clothes, get the bare minimum to start with - you can always get the rest as and when she needs it!

Good luck!

Guest LOOBYLOO

The list is quite daunting......so is trying to work out what some of it is. I would start with stationery, exercise books, folders, dictionary. Your daughter will get a timetable and will just carry the books etc she needs for that day.

My son had a jumper and waterproof for the winter term.

Don't panic. We found the school very helpful - told us as long as he had paper and a pen to start he would be fine.

Guest markmet

Hi

Thanks for your replies which are helpful. May well get the school fleece as I dont want her to look silly in a coat if no one else is wearing one, and it is starting to get a little chilly in a morning so she will need something. will get the basic stuff then first and just add to it as we go along. It is proving to be rather costly with the school fees aswell. Its a lot to find when you have just arrived and money seems to go so quickly. Anyway thanks for the info.

Chris

One more thing I've thought of - get the best backpack you can! Those poor kids's backs... one that has good support and perhaps a waist strap too is good. My daughter has a friend who is quite petite and I swear some days her bag weights more than she does!

Guest markmet

Hi Diane

Thanks for the last bit of advice regarding the back pack. I also noted about the education tax refund. We are on a 475 visa, so would we be elegible to claim any tax back on these items? I know its only for stationary, text books etc and not uniforms, unfortunately.

Chris

Hi Diane

Thanks for the last bit of advice regarding the back pack. I also noted about the education tax refund. We are on a 475 visa, so would we be elegible to claim any tax back on these items? I know its only for stationary, text books etc and not uniforms, unfortunately.

Chris

You can only claim the education tax refund if you are eligible for Family Assistance Part A....i think the 475 visa is a provisional visa, therefore you wont be eligible..

As for a coat? 5th winter coming up...and my kids have never had a coat! Stick with school windcheaters/jumpers etc...they walk home from school alot now, so will have to get them waterproof's though...

Guest markmet

Hi

Thanks for that. I did think this would be the case as 475ers dont seem to be entitled to anything. Will look into buying one of the windcheaters. I see you live in happy valley so we are just up the road in flagstaff Hill. We have been here nearlly 2 weeks now and are lovin it, well me and hubby are. the kids 17 and 13 are still adapting an my daughter hasnt ventured out much yet, as she appears to be glued to the laptop an msn. Hoping this will change when she starts school and begins to make some friends.

Chris